Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.

TOPIC: room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone

room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone 13 years 2 weeks ago #30129

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
well im in worse shape then i even thought,it took most of the day for ed and me to frame one 12 foot wall,and its the easiset wall of the job,im hurting everywhere.
next i have to sheet it,then take down some siding and put nailers in the hose walls to attach it.heck its been so long since i built houses i forgot alot,lol.
i even layed one of the windows in before i sheet it just to make sure i built it right.
i dont know how im going to get the roof done,i popped my knee loose just building the wall,lol. ed with my portable boat rack,that we used as a cutting table,lol.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 2 weeks ago #30132

Holy crap John are those 2x8's? That would be why your hurting so much!!!!!!!!! LOL I guess you really don't want that thing to go anywhere do you?! Looking good so far, but take your time buddy using those size studs will wear you pretty quick, especially when you get to the roof. Are you stick building the roof or are you having trusses made? Get as much help as you can lifting those walls. I wish I could get away from work right now to help you. Please take it at your won pace and don't hurt yourself. Looking good buddy.

Bob

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 2 weeks ago #30135

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks bob,its a 2x8 treated plate and 2x6 walls.the plate is bigger because im ging to lay treated 2x8s down flat to hold up my 2x8 florr joists of the cement,the reason i didnt build the floor in the small room on the porch is money right now,lol.
as for the roof im stick building it with a 2x12 ridge board,and 2x10 rafters,my dad always overbuilt things,and i guess im the same way,lol.
wait till you see the 6 foot high x 8 foot wide window thats going in front,lol,there s a place around here where you can get windows for 60 bucks a peice,and the huge window was just 250,they are widows that were made the wrong size and brought back but they are brand new thermo paynes.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 2 weeks ago #30138

That's an awesome deal. Yeah I know what you mean by overbuilding. I'm notorious for that also! LOL Not that that's a bad thing. Can't ever be too sturdy! ;)

Bob

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 2 weeks ago #30141

john, i'm glad your gettin my room ready.hehe :laugh:

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 2 weeks ago #30157

E-mail your address John. I know the area real well.

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 2 weeks ago #30160

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
robert its 436 helman road
indiana,pa 15701,i hope the boat makes a great fishing boat for him,john

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 2 weeks ago #30161

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks bob your encouragement always hepls to keep me going.

ron you bethca,lol the whole front is window,the temp in there ought to be about right when its june,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 2 weeks ago #30177

just knew If I mention I wanted to bring a man hammer and some meds to the project you would get working on it before I could show up....

kind of thick on the depth of the walls, heck your losing what four inches off three walls of your inside dimension x the length by the width...4 inches might not sound like allot but...

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 2 weeks ago #30239

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
yep mark your right,lol,lol.
as for the depth besides the extra strength,i also get more insulation ,i can heat this place on less then 2 tanks of oil.
besides its the norm here ,the walls in the house are also 2x6,we have been building 2x6 walls for years around here.
as for the 2x10 rafters in 12 feet (one side) i could get away with 2x6,but for insulation i get more r value,i was going to go with 2x12.and should have.lol.john

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 2 weeks ago #30245

Looks like you are going to have a real nice room there when you get done. Just don't wear yourself out getting it done . You want to be able to enjoy it after your done. Take it easy, Skip.

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 2 weeks ago #30251

2x6 wall studs is pretty much the norm now in our climate. you can get r-19 insulation as compared to r-11 with 2x4 studs. add 1" poly-styrene over that and your up around r-24. ron

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 2 weeks ago #30272

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
i didnt get anything done yesterday ,i hurt too much,plus it rained all day ,but it finally stoped raining ,heading out to work on it some more,thank goodness i have some help,from ed ,mom and lorraine,hopefully steve will show up too.
on thursday my uncle is coming to help,he used to own a construction company too,one time both our companies were building a house beside each other,just by accident,lol.john,well see you guys later,john

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 2 weeks ago #30328

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
2 freaking days to build one wall!i used to be able (with 3 other guys)frame a ranch house like mine(framed ,roofed,and windows and doors)in 3 days,thank goodness ill have my uncle and steve here to tommorrow,but im going to miss ed ,he wont be here,boy he can work.
hes in better shape then i am,lol.john p.s. 4 pics
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 2 weeks ago #30467

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
well,after all this time(the weather and my body wont cooperate),but we did get the temporary story board up,and 1/2 of the ridge board(2x12)up and in place,it takes a long time to get it just right,plumb ,level,and square with the rest of the room ,house and porch,but we got it,now its raining.
we also got 1 2x10 rafter to use as a pattern for the rest.
now to wait out the rain.
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 2 weeks ago #30486

john,looks like your going to have a high cathedral ceiling. very nice. ron

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 2 weeks ago #30494

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
yeah ron at least thats the plan in my head,lol.the front wall will go all the way under the ridge board for support ,but the right side wall will be between the door and big window on the porch.it will stand right where the light is right now.
the rest will be porch roof.
it will be a small room but a huge 6 foot tall by 8 foot wide window will be in the front wall.
and between the smaller windows on the left wall will be an electric fireplace my mom and ed got for lorraine for christmas.
we are building the room and roof over the porch,then have to save up to do the rest,almost broke,lol.john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 2 weeks ago #30496

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
by the way look at my prized possesion on top of the fireplace,my vollrath bowlight and the cards from my great friends here at fg,thank you all again,john

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 2 weeks ago #30507

real nice fireplace john. we have one that was built by the amish but its nowhere near that size. it heats are solarium room and the flames are adjustable...we luv it. ron

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 2 weeks ago #30522

Looking good so far John. Nice fireplace. That will be a great focal point.

Bob

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 2 weeks ago #30555

Ok, looks good now...

kind of odd place to be putting in the pole vaulting competition.... :lol:

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 2 weeks ago #30582

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks guys,we got the front wall up today and 2 rafters,i still have to cut and install the jack and king studs under the ridge board,and then that story board(upright 2x10 )can come down,here is what the front wall looks like with window (6 foot tall and 8 foot wide) looks like.
the tough part is its all in my head,i havent drawn anything,and its hard to explaine until its done,lol.

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 2 weeks ago #30583

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks guys,we got the front wall up today and 2 rafters,i still have to cut and install the jack and king studs under the ridge board,and then that story board(upright 2x10 )can come down,here is what the front wall looks like with window (6 foot tall and 8 foot wide) looks like.
the tough part is its all in my head,i havent drawn anything,and its hard to explain until its done,lol.
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 2 weeks ago #30636

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
well,ed,lorraine and my mom helped get the gable end of the half of the roof over the room ,but man im slow,lol.
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 1 week ago #30687

Looking good so far John. Keep up the good work. Don't worry about time as much as worring about hurting yourself! Can't get anything done if your hurt! LOL

Bob

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 1 week ago #30758

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks bob,i had steve,ed and earl here to help yesterday,we got the side wall with the doorway and window in,(its set back from the ridge board because of the house window.)we also got up most of the 2x10 rafters over it ,next is setting the 6x6 posts on the right side of the porch,and running the rafters there too.
and i had a 3 nitro spell,chest pains,thank goodness the guys were able to keep going.it was too hot for me,but after the nitros i went back at it just slower,lol.
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 1 week ago #30765

Looking Great John! Please, please be careful and take your time, don't pudh it.

Bob

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 1 week ago #30964

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thank you bob,im trying to go slow and i am,lol.steve and i,got the porch posts up,and 1 of them bolted to the house ,also got the beam built and most of the other rafters done,on the porch side of the house,man im beat,and steves doing most of the work,but its coming along,not too bad from doing it from my head,lol.john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 1 week ago #30966

Excellent, I like it!!!!

Bob

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 1 week ago #30968

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thank you bob,your comments are helping to keep me going.
at least its making my wife happy,im just worried that i wont be able to get a boat finished for julys boat show at hammondsport.
by the way your shirt is on its way,the fabric pen i used says to heat set the writing,i guess it means to lay an iron on it,i was afraid to do that,i didnt want to ruin it,lol.
i also sent mark the lenses i promised him,and paul his sterring wheel,but poor skip"s horns are still not done,my wifes keeping me too busy,with this project,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 1 week ago #30976

Great, thanks John. I know how the honey do goes all too well!!! LOL

Bob

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 1 week ago #30986

looking good there john. Jody saw it and said we should do something like that in the back of the house. A least she now sees how much work goes into building something like that. Keep up the good work and take it easy on yourself. And dont worry about the horns I am in no big rush for them .Skip.

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 1 week ago #31005

john, i thot that was going to be 1 large room.

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 1 week ago #31010

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
yep bob ,its a big honey do,lol.
thanks skip,yeah its about as much as i can handle,im very thankful i have help most days my body wants to quit on me,lol.
and thanks for understanding about the horns,i appreciate that.
ron,nope just a little sunporch for winter and the rest just a porch roof for the summer,all cathedral ceilings.
my uncle said i build like my dad ,that i over build,in my world there is no such thing as overbuilding,just underbuilding and you never know where that line is,lol.
he said if a hurricane would come the porch would stay and the house would blow away,and i said thats ok i didnt build the house,lol.john

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 4 days ago #31364

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
well,we havent gotten much done,i still have another porch post to put up,finish the eve ladders and lookouts,sheet the front and roof,finish the rest of the roof framing on the house roof,then shingle,im hoping i have alot of help this weekend,or its not going to happen,i probably wont have a boat ready for the hammondsport show in july,but my wife did promise me she would help me with the boat after the porch/room is weatherproof with the windows in.john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 4 days ago #31365

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
heck,its taking so long,that i just noticed that in the 1st pic there are no leaves on the trees,ut there are in my last post,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 4 days ago #31380

John,
Better to take your time and not hurt yourself, than push t get done and end up in the hospital. :ohmy: I think I'd take her up on the boat offer, seems only fair to me. ;)

Bob

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 4 days ago #31383

OMG..6X6 PRESSURE TREATED TIES FOR THE CORNERS.i guess your gonna add a 2nd story soon. hehe

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 4 days ago #31402

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
bob,yep,im going to take her up on her offer,sand,sand,sand,lol,just kidding.
lol ron ,guess what theres another 6x6 going in between those two,lol,i am putting it in just in case and for railing,lol,johnp.s. did you notice the "birdsmouths" over the wall and beam,they cover both sides to lock things in place.

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 4 days ago #31404

yes...hadn't noticed that before. ron

Time to create page: 0.370 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage