Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.

TOPIC: room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 4 days ago #31412

Very nicely done!

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 3 days ago #31480

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
thanks again bob,steve ed and i,got the eves built with lookouts every 2 feet,i designed it so the peak is out to a point and it will look like a beam is holding it up,i still have to cut the right side eve to size,tommorrow my nephew andrew is going to help,thank goodness
Attachments:

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 3 days ago #31486

john, don't they call that a prow front?

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 3 days ago #31513

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ron,i guess you could call it a prow front "roof",usually a prow front means that the front walls of the home itself is bumped out to a point and the roof to match.
my dad built our front porch and house roof like this back in the 60s.
by the way ron good call,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 2 days ago #31571

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
we got the porch post in,sheeted the front of the room,and got some roof sheeting up today,its good to have a big 16 year old nephew to help,lol,next its time to work the rest intothe house roof,by the way that long narrow opening to the right of the big window opening is for an ornametal iron post,john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 2 days ago #31582

John,
Looking good bud, keep p the good work.

Bob

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 9 hours ago #31737

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thank you bob,you help keep me going.
this morning the pain was so bad i went to the hospital,besides unbearable joint pain,my big toe on both feet started to turn blck under the nail,i could hardly get out of bed,thats why im awake at 3 am now,lol.
the doctor at the emergency room said its rhumatoid arthritis.

thanks to ed (my moms fiance)and steve (my father in law),they got the eves trimmed,and half of the roof valley tied into the house roof,i coudnt do much at all,but those guys worked their butts off.

thanks ed and steve.john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 7 hours ago #31738

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
The room/porch addition is coming along nicely John, looking great. Worried about you pushing too hard though buddy, please take it easy. Glad the guys are there to help out, hope you feel better soon!

Mark

Re:building our room and porch roof. 13 years 5 hours ago #31744

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks mark,im feeling a bit better today,i definatly didnt push much yesterday,the doctor at the er gave me some pills for pain,its helping.
boy if i didnt have help,nothing would be done,these guys are the best,and man ed is strong and fast,but even he has been feeling bad lately.

we have to get it shingled before thursday,more rain,crap,john

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #31773

Slave driver! LOL. It's looking great John. Again I sound like a broken record but BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!! Ed and Steve are truly fantastic! Great job guys it's looking fantastic!

Bob

woo hoo got the roof on!! 12 years 11 months ago #31780

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
yes bob,ed and steve are fantastic,they finished the trusses and finished sheeting the roof,they wouldnt let me on the roof so i was the ground guy again,thank goodness for having them in our lives.
i felt pretty good today,last nite i only woke up once in pain took a pill and slept like a baby and woke up with alot less pain.usually im up at least 3 times a night.
now comes the facia boards,drip edge,ice guard ,titanium(a new type of felt paper that doesnt rip)then shingles,then windows and then one of the boats.john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #31786

Sweet, looks great. glad to hear your getting more sleep, even if it's with a little help! ;)

Bob

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #31956

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ok,we got the roof drip edge and facia board on,plus got the roof covered with ice guard and titanium roofing,now im at a stand still,until i can get help to get the shingles up on the roof ,lol,i used to be able to carry 2 bundles at a time all day long,but not any more lol,john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #31965

john, startin to look like somethin. what is titanium roofing? never heard of it. ron

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #31974

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks ron,its nice to see that the image i had in my head is coming out ok,lol.
and titanium is a plastic like replacment for felt paper,it has mesh running through it,its guarenteed to last 6 months without shingles,no ripping and its self sealing,its lighter too,i can carry a 10 square roll by myself.,plus its 4 feet wide.
we got it at home depot,lowes never heard of it.
contractors like to use it under metal roofing too.john

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32002

Excellent John, that's looking great! Maybe you can get a couple of older neighbor kids to help and "old guy" out with those shingles. ;)

Bob

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32003

john, i bet when you were building houses you had a ladder lift for those shingles. :)

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32005

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
yeah bob,i think the neighbor and his kids will help,he helped yesterday.
nope ron ,lol i was in good shape then and so were my guys,lol
now a storm is coming i can hear the thunder,crap i hope this roofing stuff holds,its going to be a bad storm,my fingers are crossed,john

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32006

wow john your about to get rocked.......

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32008

Well you are about to find out if the product lives up to its claims. Skip

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32015

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
well its 3:30 am,the storm is over,so far so good,no leaks yet,i think my wife might take a day off to help me shingle,a partial pack at a time,john

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32050

Just got off the phone with John guys, I got a new nickname for him...

I am showing john, that through his land line phone company he can have -DSL- currently he is..using Dial-up and A-O-L as a service provider...OMG

this is like the Geico commercial where the guy lives under a rock....moves the rock and see's the Verizon bill board saying...you can have DSL tooooo

Get-out..the man says...

john the number to call is...1-800-837-4966
SAVE JOHN GIBSON

it worked for Ferris Bueler

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32067

whaddya know........

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32099

So, are we going to slowly drag John out of the stone age? Skip.

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32100

dude I been having "flash backs" of using my "phone modem" to call BBS's....

WHhhhhhhhhhhoa, hold on I am aging myself, but still we are going to have to set up a support group for john as he trying to brake the A-O-L habit...omg, now I know the guy has real problems...

when I talked to john earlier by the way he was saying he needs a hammer swinger or two to stop by to lend him a hand with his roofing, that would be somewhere RFD...Indiana P.A.
Save John Gibson

ok any one posting pictures are gonna have to describe what the picture is, I kind of term it as John is like Stevie Wonder in a room...he can hear but he can't see pictures, john can read this but...he can't see pictures...so, if you got a boat ..in the water, yea gotta tell john allll about it.

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32104

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
lol,you guys are too funny,lol,john

---Mark Twain

shingles are on!!! 12 years 11 months ago #32319

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks to mom and ed for loaning us the cost of hiring a guy to do it.
he was great ,he did it by himself ,i tried and blew my back out again,so thanks to mom and ed and brad(the guy who did the shingles).
the day before me ed and my neighbor mark and his son logan,put the shingles on the roof,well i didnt get far when my back blew,lol,so really they did it,lol.

next comes the house wrap and windows then i can start on one of the boats for the hammondsport show,if my back heals,john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32336

John, while you're recuperating, please call your phone company and get DSL. Once you have it, pitch AOL. You have to work at it too, it doesn't let go easy. Once you have DSL, get a gmail email address, you'll be glad you did. If you want, I can send you an invite.

Good luck with the back. In my experience, it's always difficult to figure out what needs to be done to recover. Generally taking it easy, but keeping moving does the trick. I say that having been flat on my back for weeks NOT able to move. I feel for ya buddy, and sure hope you get over this episode quickly.

Frank

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32339

john, i pinched a nerve in my neck years ago and found out by moving around that it worked itself out. now i know your back is altogether different but i agree with frank, move around or i think it will stiffen up more. a hot-tub would be great(your next project.) at my age, i would trade a nice gazebo hot-tub for the pool any day. see ya soon, ron
hey... i can fit a hot-tub in the dump... whoop

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32344

John,
Looks great. Very sorry to hear about your back. Try to take it easy but don't let it stiffen up. Take care of it and I hope it heals quickly.

Bob

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32346

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks guys,i try to move around but ,wow it hurts,i did some moving of my legs in bed this morning and that helped,but im stiff again,lol.
frank i tried to get verizon dsl,and the computer said its not available in my area,i have heard that 2 houses down have it,but its a differnt township,and about 1/4 mile away,if you follow the road.

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32349

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
John DId you ever try the Verizon Cellular? MIne works but not great.... Very low signal at my place..

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32356

john-gibson wrote:

frank i tried to get verizon dsl,and the computer said its not available in my area,i have heard that 2 houses down have it,but its a different township,and about 1/4 mile away,if you follow the road.

John, all the local provider and see what the deal is. Usually DSL service needs to be within two miles of a box. If you're just a 1/4 mile out, it might be worthwhile to call the phone company. If they still say "No" ask when they can get it out your way.

Good luck with the back, I know exactly how ya feel buddy.

Frank

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32419

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
went to see my doctor today,i cant take it anymore,(i have become a sissy,lol)physical therapy in the morning.
next i have to get the windows in,i hope.
ill call tommorrow about dsl,john

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32422

I just finished PT for my shoulder John. Still bothering me, but it's my back that just brought me up from the shop. I get working on stuff and forget about my body, then it's like ring a ding, time to quit!

Good luck tomorrow.

Frank

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32428

I have had PT for my Knee when I threw it out a year ago. Also for my Back this winter shoveling snow. It didn't hit me until a few days after the fact. Wow! pain in lower back all the way down my legs. Had to resort to Vicodin. After getting up to got to the bathroom my legs would ache for an hour. Not fun.
A lot better now but not a 100 percent. I hate the Golden years. :angry:
Go slow and easy John and Frank

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32438

I think John & I just keep pushing the (so-called) Golden Years. I've had plenty of PT after lower back surgery, 2 knee surgeries, and 3 shoulder surgeries. I should probably have both base thumb joints replaced too!

Frank

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32452

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
just found out i have a herniated disc ,pinching my nerves in my right leg,im not allowed to lift,and they want me to go in 3 times a week,cant afford it,so time will tell.
im going to try to get better internet now,thanks guys,john

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32455

they don't want dialysis patients who have fistulas in there arms to lift more than 5 lbs. with that arm...what a joke!!!! i've been liftin those 5 gal. poland spring water jugs every month to bring inside, but i take most of the weight with my right arm. i think i'll bring a few emptys and steal some of your spring water when we come. is the spring acessable with the backhoe? can carry them back in the bucket.

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32456

john, they don't want dialysis patients who have fistulas in there arms to lift more than 5 lbs. with that arm...what a joke!!!! i've been liftin those 5 gal. poland spring water jugs every month to bring inside, but i take most of the weight with my right arm. i think i'll bring a few emptys and steal some of your spring water when we come. is the spring acessable with the backhoe? can carry them back in the bucket.
its only a few weeks away. if your not up to it, we can delay it till you feel better. ron
i opened up an access hole in the right sponson in front of the kickboard and it was dry. i poured a gallon of water in there and laid newspaper underneath, notin dripped out overnight so i guess the crack is just in the gelcoat. maybe a little marinetex on the outside will be all we have to do with that. that'll leave the steering wheel and some damage under the front seat support which is easily accessable.

Time to create page: 0.360 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage