Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.

TOPIC: room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32459

john-gibson wrote:

just found out i have a herniated disc ,pinching my nerves in my right leg,im not allowed to lift,and they want me to go in 3 times a week,cant afford it,so time will tell.
im going to try to get better internet now,thanks guys,john

What disc John? If it's a lower lumbar disc, I have handouts of exercises I keep at home (somewhere) I could scan and email to you. My herniated disc is L4/L5, and that is what these handouts are for.

My "quick & dirty" exercise is to lay flat, raise my right leg, get both hands locked together behind it and stretch it with knee locked. I don't stretch it so much it hurts, just enough to keep the sciatic nerve stretched a little. I hold it for 20 seconds. I generally do that at lunch time 2 or 3 times, then usually a couple times a night at home. I find that it allows me to keep going. That and 800 milligrams of ibuprofen at breakfast and bedtime.

Best of luck!

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32466

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
ron,we can get the spring water right out of my faucet,it is tapped right into the house.
and dont worry buddy,ill be ok by then,even if im not i can still do it.

frank,i dont know,he didnt tell me and i didnt ask,but it hurts at the very base of my back,thats where i felt it pop.
heck i cant lift my leg yet,but i will try your excersises.

the doc put me on vicodin and flexeral a mucle relaxer,i cant take ibuprofin because im on blood thinners.
crap,i have stuff to do,ill never get the windows in and a boat done for hammondsport at this rate.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32475

john-gibson wrote:

frank,i dont know,he didnt tell me and i didnt ask,but it hurts at the very base of my back,thats where i felt it pop.
heck i cant lift my leg yet,but i will try your excersises.

John, did the doc take x-rays or anything? Call him and ask where he believes or knows you have a herniated disc. Each disc has a signifier, like mine is L4/5 for sure. I just sent ya some jpgs of exercises, but I worry they're not the right ones for you. All I can tell you is that I keep those sheets around all the time, and have for years. I do back exercises every day, some days less, some a lot more. Back stuff is very weird. Good luck!

Frank

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32479

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
hey john, i hope you do not have a herniated disc. i had surgery 7 years ago. had 2 herniated dics and one ruptured dics, 12 floating bone chips that were removed. and had my hip bone reamed out to relieve presure on my siotic nerves to my left leg, the leg was numb and could not walk until you looked to see if the knee was locked. i fell a number of times before i started to look, and now i look at the floor or ground when i walk. yeh i bump into alot of stuff. the next time i was told will be metal rods and screws. i was up to 50 pain pills a day for a while, then they quit helping. so now it is brandy. get a second opinion before ,if you have surgery. take care buddy. frog

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32481

I too have a bad lower back. Went to physical thearapy (sp)It helped.
It helped but now hurting again because I quit the exercises. I guess I'll have to start them back up. I have exercise hand out sheets for my condition too.
Seems like the doctors like to pass out the Vicodin and Flexeral.
Try not to use those that much. i used a Flexeral today. first in about 2 weeks. Ibuprofen works better than Tylenol for me.
I did have to get some rods and screws in my nexk. Stenosis. Pinched spinal cord up there in my neck. Everything started getting numb and I was stumbling and falling a lot.
After the MRI the doctor said we are getting you into sugery right away. About 2 days later I was going under the knife. Other than a little limitation on neck movement my neck feels great. No more tingleing shocks down my back when I turn my head.
My left hand was useless. Thank heavens I got the use of it back. I'm left handed . Couldn't even sign my name.
I' still kicking but not as high.

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32493

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thank you guys,for all of your help,but i guess i need to quit complaining,someone took away 1 of my karma points,lol,lol.

frank thanks for the diagrams!,and what they did was a saunogram(i think thats what its called lol),they didnt xray this time.john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32497

John, it's a sonogram, uses ultrasound, same technology they use to look at babies in the womb. Doc should be able to tell you which disc it is if he saw it and knows it's herniated. Call and ask, right after you call the phone company and tell them you want DSL.

Good luck!

Frank

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32562

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
john, keep us updated on your building and your health. we are concerned that you will overdo and hurt your self. if some one doesn't want to hear about you then theye do not have to read this forum. that is why it is NBR. and some of us only have this forum to keep in touch. best of luck. frog

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32570

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks frank,thanks frog,and dave,i REALLY wanted to get the house wrap on and the windows in,but when i tried ,i cant do it yet,maybe tommorrow,im going to put more ice on it now,john

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32593

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks to ed, mom and lorraine we got a little of the house wrap up,and 1 window in,i wasnt much help,lol.john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32631

John,
It's coming along nicely, but please take your time! Heal first projects later. Very sorry to hear about your back. Herniated disc is never good but I suppose it could be a lot worse. The wife has a bad lower back also. Had it since she carried my son. She just lives with it but at some point she is really going to have to have someone take a serious look at it. She does do a leg stretch exercise where she lays in front of a door jamb with one leg in the air completely against the wall/door jamb and the other leg down on the floor through the open door jamb or wall opening. Hold that for about 10 to 20 seconds then switch. Does that once or twice each side and seems to help some. Don't know if that will help on your herniated disc or not.

Bob

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32651

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
bob,thank you for your concern,i have more pt today,but this old back isnt getting better.
i guess im going to have to stop babying it,and get the other 2 smaller windows in,i want it water proof before i work on a boat.
boy i feel bad for your wife,and i would try that but i cant get up or down,heck even getting out of bed ,i look like a turtle on flipped its back,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32654

Hey john, on thing i have learned -with all my problems- is how to get up, and it took me a bit to learn how to do it. I use a single (size) bed sheet laid under me where what not not under my back i can twirl like a rope. next I left up one leg at a time bringing my knee up as close to my chin as i can get it and i put that side of the sheet behind that knee, repeat with other leg. now you pretty well hog tied your self, hold on to the back of your knee and also the the sheet and use your legs to tip you up.

a zero -G- chair helps alot...

sleeping on a hardwood floor, believe it or not helps, just slowly roll over till you are able to get up on your hands...bring your knees up slowly, yes i been known to crawl around also.

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32875

Why do we guys do this stuff to ourselves? I was riding the atv last week and went down a trail I know was rough, steep ,bumpy and it scared me. I had went down there in a few years because of that. To make matters worst I was by myself. After a bone-jarring ride down instead of going out the easy way this old dumb ass turned around and drove back up that steep rocky hill.I pulled myself up on the hanlebars , put it in 4 wheel drive with the traction lock on and went back up. I'm sore as hell. I took a nice picture of a deer right afterwards.

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32879

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
yep mark and robert,my back isnt getting any better,they are going to schedule a mri,im also getting shots in both knees soon,but i have to try to get at least the house wrap on,and the 2 smaller windows today,then saturday we are having a birthday for lorraine,ill get the guys to help put in the huge,heavy 6x8 foot widow,john p.s i started this about a month ago,crap.

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32913

Best of luck John, hope all is on the mend. Here is a few pics to enjoy. When you get feeling better you can ride on the handlebars. (We have to laugh or we'll cry.) This is steeper than it looks. I'm taking the picture from downhill.
Attachments:

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32916

Just up the creek from Buttermilk Falls on Cowanshanock Creek.
Attachments:

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32919

Use Sevin dust on those Carpenter bees your having. Just blow some in the holes and watch'em die.

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32922

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
nice 4 wheeler robert and thanks for the tip.
i tried to lift a scaffold plank today and really screwed up my back big time,but ed and my mom and lorraine got on most of the house wrap,tomorrow i will try to get the 2 long but small windows in,i hope,john

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32935

We live in central Mich. But we have place in the UP.
It is a lot of work getting up dere. 325mi one way. But once I get up dere I'm in God's country. We stay there at least one week at a time. We are retired. but we have to scedule (sp) acording to doctor appointments . "Golden years" It is on Lake Michigan.
We have Atvs, tons of trails around here..

John, Go slow and easy. I know easier said than done.
Attachments:

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32944

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
dave,beautiful place you have there.
i will be 50 in july,i dont know who coined the phrase "golden years", because every year i get a little worse then the year before,lol,its more like "rusty tin years"lol.

as for going slow and easy ,i dont have much choice,lol,lol,but i am going to "TRY" to put 2 windows in today,john

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #32990

are those breakers on a lake???

2 more windows are in! 12 years 11 months ago #33001

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
wow,we started this project about 5 weeks ago,and thanks to the rain and my crappy health its taking awhile,lol.
today my wife ,ed and my mom helped put up the house wrap and the 2 side windows in,thanks to them ,for doing this,tomorrow we are having cake for my wifes birthday,and they dont know it yet but im going to recruit the fellows to put in the huge 6x8 foot front window,lol,and after that i can relax a little,because it will be rain proof,besides we have to save up for the rest,lol.john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #33002

kudo's to the helpers.

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #33003

john looking at what we did today after what i see of you i think you best park your rear on chair or maybe even bed or you are going to end up in the hospital. when dr said dont anything that is what he means ,you dont want operation i know i had one 2years ago still healing ed

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #33008

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
hey everyone,john gordon is "ed",the guy who really went to great leangths to help me out,heck him and lorraine did everything with moms help,thanks ed.
yeah i know im not supposed to do anything,but i feel like a fool just watching you guys do the work,i was feeling better today,at least it wasnt as bad as yesterday,but now im back to hurting and whineing,lol.
after the big window is in ,i will layback a bit,but i want to get a boat ready for the ny show,so its looking like i wont have one ready,crap,and oh well,john

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #33009

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ron you are still coming on june 3rd arent you?even if my back is bad,i will do everything i can to fix your boat,,and for the stuff i cant do i will show you how ,we will get it done together buddy,cant wait to see you and sue,john

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #33013

Yes Ron those are breakers. I'm glad you are helping John I would If I was closer. John I'm 61 so hang in there you can do it with all your Fiberglassic helpers. I just know, if you over do it you will pay. Been there done that!

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #33014

Yes Ron those are breakers. I'm glad you are helping John I would If I was closer. John I'm 61 so hang in there you can do it with all your Fiberglassic helpers. I just know, if you over do it you will pay. Been there done that!
Attachments:

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #33028

elgindave wrote:

its quite the opposite dave...john will be restoring my steering wheel which has a few small cracks and maybe laying some mat and resin under my front bench seat. i discovered that the original front bench seat support had been replaced at one time and a some glass must of came off with it.
Attachments:

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #33029

its your call bud. i surely don't want you to aggrivate your condition workin on my boat.

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #33030

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ron,i want to do it,so bring it here,it just might take a liile while longer then usual,lol,between you and me we can get it done.heck i might be able to whip up a center console (with out the remotes)im pretty sure i have white vinyl,john

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #33035

okie dokie... :)

the huge window is in!!! woo hoo!! 12 years 11 months ago #33086

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
we had a cookout at my father in laws place yesterday and had cake for lorraine,so we recrutied all the guys,it took 6 of us ,ed,steve,steve jr.,mike lorraine(my wife ,not a guy ,lol) and me to get it in,but im paying the price now,(my back)but at least everything is water proof ,now i can relax a little,i want to work on my boat but cant right now,hopefully soon,john p.s.we ran out of housewrap,seen in the 1st pic,under the roof it is supposed to run all the way up the wall and under and over the door.
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #33090

whoop....nice window john. :)

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #33099

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks ron,we got it cheap,or it wouldnt be there,lol,the only thing to put in it now to be compleatly weather proof is a door,cant afford it now,we have some saving to do,lol.john

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #33106

John,
It's looking GREAT! Kudos to all who helped you get to this point. Your right, that is a big window but it looks awesome, well worth what you paid for it. Now take it easy for a while , get that back in shape first. ;)

Bob

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #33145

Your new room is looking better and better each day there John. Man you got to take it easy on the back and your body. I know its hard not to want to do everything, I'm the same way and I end up paying for it also. I"m glad your getting lots of help with it. Keep up the great work and the great posts. Skip.

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 11 months ago #33165

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks bob,yes without their help,i would not have gotten very far,i wasnt sure how everything i had in my mind would look for sure,but i think its turning out ok,i like doing things that look different,lol.
thanks skipp,i am resting it now,but its going to be in the 90s and i have o get the air conditioners in the house and garage,or i wont be able to do rons boat,let alone my own,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 8 months ago #40461

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
i just painted the door and installed it,got it the same place we got the windows really cheap ,its been waiting for me to put it in,lol,on the outside its painted silver/gray with pearl,and the inside is burgandy to match the fireplace thats going to go in there,the burgandy has red pearl in it,im going to match the carousel horse to match.then some work on my nephews boat tomorrow,then camping,gotta go get the camper ready and the house ready for relatives to stay here while we are gone,to take care of the pets,john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain
Time to create page: 0.359 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)