Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.

TOPIC: room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone

Re:room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone 11 years 11 months ago #61128

WOW, that looks great John.Thats really sets the house off good. And a hell of alot less work to install. Great job your doing there. Skip.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone 11 years 11 months ago #61147

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
thank you skip,yep its coming along alot of glue,screws and caulk,lol,the toughest part are the corners,they have to be mitered then filed down to match each side.
i think it will add a lot to this plain house.john
Attachments:

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone 11 years 11 months ago #61209

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Looking great John! No wonder the wildlife is coming to visit. They like the addition also.

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone 11 years 11 months ago #61217

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
John, looks fantastic! How did you do the outside corner? It looks like it was pretty seamless. Great looking job. Lorraine should be happy. I know you must be. When you get some landscaing done in front of the stone it's gonna look even better. Thanks for sharing.
Shipley

Re:room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone 11 years 11 months ago #61265

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
lol,thanks shelby,lol
thanks shipster,lorraine is thrilled she had /has 4 days off from saturday till tuesday,so she has been a big help.
as far as the corners i made a sled for my table saw,so i can miter the corners,some of the stone matches up the loner stones have to be filed with a file,after both sides are up and glued and caulked together,so they look like each individual stone was hand layed,then a little gray caulk and add a little black caulk,then mix it together on the corners to match the rest of the stone.
a little time consuming but nowhere near as much as laying each stone separately,lol.
here are pics of wht we got done yesterday,it was and is raining so we worked on the porch wall,the post on the left and the bare wood there will be wrapped in white vinyl,and under the door i think im going to pour a half circle step.
and as far as land scapeing ,lorraine and i want a couple of dwarf Japanese red blood good maples.john sorry the pic is so dark,i hate this camera. ive got a row or two left on this side,i think i MAY have enough left to go around the concrete block ,at least on the porch addition,john
Attachments:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone 11 years 11 months ago #61294

looks fantastic john. the bloodgood jap maples aren't dwarf. i've seen them 14'high. what you want is the laceleaf jap maple (acer palmatum disectum) extremely slow growing, very elegant, but very expensive. i've planted dozens of them. around here a 3' balled and burlap is around $300. you can find container grown for around $175.

Re:room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone 11 years 11 months ago #61940

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thank you ron,i dont want anything to high next to the house.

i got up all of the stone that i have,we were not planing on doing under the porch,but if we ordered a certain amount ,we got free shipping,so it was like getting the extra panels for free.
now im at a standstill because we are totally broke,lol.
in this 1st pic i still have a slab of concrete for a half circl step,that will look like stone.
and get the soffit finished,and wrap the post and beams in vinyl ,like the big one in the picture. you might have to click on the picture to enlarge it,its hard to see,lol.
please dont pay attention to the mess on the porch(osb,air compressor,etc.)i will paint the left side of the foundation to match the stone.
today i will finish blending the corners.
woo hoo,im in the homestretch,but still have a lot of touch up to do to it.john under the lip of the porch,above the top step,and between the stone ,there will be white vinyl,that matches the posts.
and if you see a seam under the big window its because thats where the wooden wall starts ,above the foundation,its 1/2 inch over as a drip edge.p.s. find the cat in the pictures,kinda like wheres wally,lol,john
john

---Mark Twain

Re:room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone 11 years 11 months ago #61953

looks terrific john...great job.

Re:room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone 11 years 11 months ago #61957

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Boy John, on a cool afternoon I wouldn't mind sitting on your porch. I'm still a little pissed that it took me so long to find that cat! Next time take a photo of some other visitor like a bear or something around that size. :p

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone 11 years 11 months ago #61965

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thank you ron,it made lorraine happy,and that makes me happy,lol.

shelby,your welcome on my porch anytime,and lol,the hint i gave was to click on the pics to make them bigger,and then you can click on them a second time for an even bigger pic.
heck i didnt even see the cat either until i made them bigger,lol.
the bad thing is my wife is right now on her way to the vets to take the cat in the pictures son to get looked at,it might not be good.
i had to stay to clean up my mess because the family is coming here tomorrow for birthday cake for lorraine,i hope zack is ok,it would be terrible if she lost her cat,so soon after losing our wolf,yukon.
and during her birthday party too.

---Mark Twain

Re:room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone 11 years 11 months ago #61966

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
john-gibson wrote:

the hint i gave was to click on the pics to make them bigger,and then you can click on them a second time for an even bigger pic.

Yeah John, on that. I did make it bigger and I have a MacBook Pro with a 18" screen. I saw the shoe before I saw the cat. Guess it's time for another eye doctor appointment. Thanks B)
Hope all goes well with kitty.

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone 11 years 11 months ago #61967

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks rick,we appreciate it.
im awaiting word soon,john

---Mark Twain

Re:room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone 11 years 11 months ago #61968

John,
Absolutely awesome job it looks fantastic, great birthday present!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Birthday to Lorraine!!!!!!!!! I hop all goes well with Zack. We're pulling for him. I have 5 plus the dog so i know how you feel.

Bob

Re:room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone 11 years 11 months ago #61973

where the hell is the cat???

Re:room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone 11 years 11 months ago #61983

Middle window, middle bottom pane. :)

Re:room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone 11 years 11 months ago #62003

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks bob,i got things cleaned up outside yesterday,now i will run into town for a piece of white vinyl for the top step and under the door,just to make it look finished until i get the slab step under the door finished,ol.
and thanks about zack,he is home and under my desk right now,they think its just a kidney infection.

hee hee ron,i gave ya the hint to click on the pics 2 clicks to make them bigger,lol.
but dont feel bad i didnt see her either until i made them as big as i could,lol.
john

---Mark Twain

Re:room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone 11 years 11 months ago #62009

john, i did enlarge the pics..lol, but bob gave me a better hint.

Re:room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone 11 years 11 months ago #62054

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
lol,lol,ron i just wanted to drive you crazy,lol,i think it worked,lol.

---Mark Twain

Re:room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone 11 years 11 months ago #62056

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Lorraine, Happy Birthday.
Ship

Re:room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone 11 years 11 months ago #62729

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
all thats left on the outide is to paint the foundation walls and sides of the steps a darker grey,then soffit and railing when we save enough money,lol,it might be awhile,lol.
i also got the vinyl under the door and at the top step
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone 11 years 10 months ago #62733

SUPER!!! i think that was a word used back in the hippie era. ron

Re:room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone 11 years 10 months ago #62760

Outstanding john, it looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Re:room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone 11 years 10 months ago #62770

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks guys,after this i have todds motor cowling,and then,the firetruck for charity in my spare time,and im soon ready to start a boat of my own,wooo hoo,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone 11 years 10 months ago #63059

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
well,we got some landscaping done,we are having a birthday party here tomorrow for my mom,ed gordon and me,lol
in the last pic you might see the carousel horse i painted for lorraine,in the big window,john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone 11 years 10 months ago #63075

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
John, now for the short list. Is there anything you can't do?
I see you traded cat power for horse power. How did you train the cat to run the mitre saw? They usually run for cover as soon as the power is on.
Fantastic looking addition and quality construction. Time for a boat ride.
Cal

Re:room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone 11 years 10 months ago #63083

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
john-gibson wrote:

in the last pic you might see the carousel horse i painted for lorraine,in the big window.

Thank you for pointing that out for us that were challenged in the "where's the cat" game. ;)

Looks great John!

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone 11 years 10 months ago #63106

Absolutely outstanding John!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You area true artist in everything you do buddy!!!!

Bob

Re:room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone 11 years 10 months ago #63119

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
lol,thanks cal,but theres a big list of what i cant do,lol,lol.
as for the cat running the saw,we have 4 cats ,they take turns,.
and thanks for the compliment from all of you,that is high praise indeed coming from you guys.
and as far as a boat ride ,heck im still trying to get one in the garage to work on it,lol.

thank you cal,bob and shelby,you make it worthwhile to do stuff,all the folks here keep me motivated.
john

---Mark Twain

Re:room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone 11 years 10 months ago #63120

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
before...
after about 3 years...
Attachments:

---Mark Twain
Time to create page: 0.312 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)