Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.

TOPIC: room addition/porch, faux polyurethane stack stone

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 9 months ago #40476

Sweet John, that's looking GREAT! Glad to hear you and the wife are going to take some time to yourselves. It will be nice to get away for a while. Have fun buddy you deserve it.

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 9 months ago #40510

BEAUTIFUL DOOR JOHN...THAT MERITS AT LEAST 1 MORE BOAT. LOL
enjoy your camping trip. ron

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 9 months ago #40546

Enjoy your camping trip. Kick back and sit around the campfire. Watch out for these critters.
Attachments:

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 9 months ago #40562

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
thanks guys yeah it will be great to get away,this is the 1st camping trip this year,lol,no time or money.
i spent yesterday getting it ready,flushing waterlines,washing it,making a ramp for the dog,his hips are bad.
today my nephew andrew and i will work onhis boat,hes going to do most of it,with a little help from me,lol.
we are only going 10 miles from home,but there is trout fishing,it will be my 1st time fishing this year.john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 7 months ago #45745

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
well for the last few days my father in law and i have finished the soffit and facia,next is gutters before the weather gets bad,we didnt have a brake to bend the aluminum,so we had to come up with a few ways to do it without it,lol.
im going to make a quick bending brake before i cover the beam,lol.john i also have to fill in under the porch roof and siding it,then soffit and facia the part uner the porch roof,boy i wish i were working on one of the boats,this honey do list doesnt seem to end,lol,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 7 months ago #45750

LOOKS TERRIFIC JOHN...yukon's got some life...lol

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 7 months ago #45772

Nice work John. The white dog lying there is a replica of our "Molly" who we lost 6 years ago to cancer. Very smart dogs and beautiful!!
Pic here of Ellie, who runs our home now!! King Charles spaniel!!
Attachments:

Jim Savage

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 7 months ago #45811

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks ron and jim,yeah hes agreat dog,but hes gotten old,and cant do steps anymore,thats why there is a ramp there,oh yeah i use it too,lol.
i will find out soon what they plan on doing with my knees,im hoping they can be fixed without replacements.
jim im sorry about molly,its going to be very hard when yukon is gone,.
ellie is a great looking dog.john

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 7 months ago #45909

John,
Sorry been tied up the last few days. It looks great buddy! You do excellent work I must say. Heading out for the Cruise tomorrow until 17 October so i may or may not get access to the internet , if not I'm going to be real busy catching up when i get back!!!! LOL

Bob

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 7 months ago #45911

Hey Bob, You didn't get enough cuises with the big grey cruise lines???
John, porch looks great!!!

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 7 months ago #45951

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks bob,have fun buddy.
thank joe,i appreciate that,john

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 7 months ago #47834

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ok,i got up all the gutters and downspouts,then today i finished framing and filling in above the window,and siding it with extra siding we had in the basement for 12 years.
1st is the opening above the window,and under the new roof. this all framed out and sheeted,with some siding on. siding done and vent in. sorry about the double pics.
heres whats done so far,over the winter as we get a few bucks we will work on the inside of the room,then if we can get a few more bucks in the spring we will finish the soffit under the porch,and put stone up around the room part.
in the cut out area by the door,on the right of the big window(vertical cut out)will be a peice of ornamental iron.
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 7 months ago #47841

Look'in good John.

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 7 months ago #47843

stone!!! whoop

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 7 months ago #47891

John
it's looking great buddy. Can't wait to see it finished. From what you described when I was there it will look awesome.

Bob

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 6 months ago #47912

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks robert,and yep ron stone,lol,if we can get enough bucks up,and i have to learn real quick how to hang the stuff,lol,i have only worked with real stone,i wanted to use shake shingles,but my wife wore me down over the last 2 1/2 years i have been working on this ,she wants stone.
thanks bob,we want to put the electric fireplace that ed and mom got lorraine in the room between the small windows on the left side (looking at it from the front).
and put the 2 carousel horses (the small one in a corner and the one i painted in front of the window.
my honey do list is still pretty long, i want to work on my boats,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 6 months ago #47916

Do yourself a favor and skip the shake idea just on the pest stand point. I specialized in log and wood exterior sided houses in the pest control industry. They make good customers. Grateful one's too.

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 6 months ago #47917

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
opps sorry robert,i should have said vinyl shake shingles,i dont want any staining or painting,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 3 months ago #54891

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ok,its 3 months later,alot has happened,knee surgery and another heart attack,in december,but im feeling pretty good now,so my nephew and i started to wire the room,we got about half of it done,with 2 ,3 foot 750 watt ,240 volt heaters,because the room will be open into the house and i dont want my oil furnace working too hard.

my nephew is 16 and wants to be an electrician ,so where better to practice,lol,he also did some of the interior wiring in my garage,i showed him one time how to wire receptacles and switches,and he got it right away.

hes taking wiring in school,his teacher must be very good because he does a very neat ,good job,im pretty proud of him.

now i have to run the different circuits from my panel box to the room,then insulate the ceiling and walls and put in the floor,then i can work on it with some heat in it.

i would love to work on some painting projects i have for some fg folks and the fire truck,but i have to wait until its a little warmer ,so i can work in the garage,john

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 3 months ago #54904

Glad your feeling better John. Bout time you got back to that room! LOL That's great that your nephew wants to take a good trade like Electrician. Now if he could just get interested enough to finish "his" boat then he could rewire it! LOL ;)

Bob

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 3 months ago #55045

That's great John! I've been busy on our house lately, afraid to start on the MR at the house, thinkin' bout renting a warehouse space now.

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 3 months ago #55088

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks bob and cat,
ed came out the other day and helped me run wire through the basement,into the room,now to hook up the baseboard heaters and gfci outlets then go from there.

boy cat i feel for you buddy,it has to be hard on you not being able to do things at home.

did you all watch american restoration last night?they restored the same taylor tot walker/stroller that im going to restore,except this one has all the parts,he got 1500.00 bucks for it.
im going to start another thread showing my old thread with it.john

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 3 months ago #56183

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
oops double post,read the next one,lol.lol.
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 3 months ago #56184

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
well i finally got the wiring done,with 3 way dimmers and 220 baseboard,insulated the ceiling and walls.
now im putting in the floor,it was uneven,at least in my book,so i had to scab on some pieces to a treated 2x4 then anchor it to the concrete,then screw the 2x6 floor joists to them,i then put down plastic and silver backed 1 1/2 foam,next i will add some shims and some 2x6 scabs but vertically this time.
i dont want it wet and i dont want the floor to squeak or move when im done,i hope it works,lol,next comes 6 inces of insulation ,then glue and 3/4 osb tounge and groove,john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 3 months ago #56223

Looking great John. I'm glad the knee is healing well and cooperating for you. I know it's not totally keeping your mind off of Yukon, but it's a start hang in there buddy.

Bob

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 3 months ago #56245

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks bob,i apreciate that,it does help for keeping my mind busy,but not enough.
the knee is coming along very well,but i still cant keep working on them for long periods but it way better than before.

yesterday was great,ed came out and helped me finish getting the insulation and floor down,thanks ed!
even the stray cat my wife took in,likes it,lol.
its a small room /porch(12x24)and that includes the room and the porch.its a good thing its a cathedral ceiling,it looks bigger.
next is framing the interior wall out to meet the eve,and making it into an arch for our electric fireplace,thanks ,ed and mom for that too. sorry about the double ics,i dont know how i did that,lol.john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 2 months ago #56812

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ok,i know im very slow ,lol,but its coming along,i got the archway framed in and some drywall hung ,thanks to ed,my wife and andrew,i dont have pics of the drywall yet,that i will do today.
im pretty excited my buddy ,neil is sending some great looking ponderosa pine that is leaf scared ,it will look great against the cherry fireplace,etc.
thanks neil your a great guy ,you too ed,john here is the back wall of the arch with the 2x4s already attached from the back of the arch. here it is with the front of the arch attached.
the left column needs filled in,and the doorway didnt have a header so i will strengthen it and curve the wall above it. i plan on drywalling the rch and above the doorway,and the rest of the wall below that i going to be cherry stained wood with the whiter colored leaf scared ponderossa pine trim.thanks neil,john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 2 months ago #56837

John ,
It's coming right along. Sounds like a good plan and I can[t wait to see it completed. It's going to long fantastic, especially with that pine from Neil. Way to go Neil!!!!

Bob

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 2 months ago #57456

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ok im back again,ed and i textured the ceiling yesterday.thank you again ed.
since i posted last the drywall has been hung,and im now finishing up the mudding.
the arch is taking a long time because im trying to get it as smooth as possible,a coat at a time,i want to paint it a faux marble,then the areas that are not drywalled are going to be all wood finished in red mahogany/cherry,with golden oak colonial trim,plus the leaf scared wood neil is going to send,i cant wait,lol.
behind the arch in the center will be blondewood stained red cherry,to kind of match the fireplace and the base of the carousel horse i painted for lorraine. the left side of the arch will be wood shelves to match. the other walls will be painted a light tan/gold with a pearl effect,and the floors are going to be a brazilian cherry laminate.
well time to go sand some more,ewww,john

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 2 months ago #57489

John,
Glad to se you back. It's coming along great! That sounds like a great plan and I can't wait to se it. Its going to be beautiful.

Bob

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 2 months ago #57506

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks bob,im hoping to get the painting done by the end of the weekend,but its not been easy,lol.
then comes the floor and trim,that will keep me out of trouble for awhile.loljohn

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 2 months ago #57513

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
i looked back to the real beginning,its going on 3 years so far for this project,from digging the footer to where we are today,the interior,then the stone outside.
i want to thank my wife lorraine she mixed alot of the cement,also ed and mom,ed did a whole lot of work helping me out on this,and thanks to steve,my father in law,he did alot of it too,and my uncle earl came a few days to help out.its cool to see it from the beginning till now,if my health was better it would have been done by now.
and thanks to my wife for trusting me in the design of it,i didnt do any drawings ,i kept it all in my head,lol,john
digging the footer.. the block walls and iron are in.. top poured and steps... framing the room half.. the roof is on.. where i am today..but without my white wolf yukon ,who died of cancer,i had knee surgery and my 4th heart attack along the way,but we are still plugging along

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 2 months ago #57531

attaboy john...won't be long now.

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 2 months ago #57588

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thank you ron,but at the pace i go,it will be a long time,lol.
also the neighbor needs his septic pipe dug up,it looks like my project will be a day longer ,lol.
i told him just have gas for it,when he asked how much?,it just saves me from running to get it,lol.
now to get back to more sanding and then hopefully primer and paint.

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 2 months ago #57590

around here that would be a $500 bill. your a terrific neighbor john.

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 2 months ago #57634

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks ron,but it does bug me a little,its my wifes cousin,they live just down the road,we have lived here 12 years and this is the 1st time they have come to visit,lol.
the last time i saw them to talk to them my, wife was in her 1st wedding.
heck i didnt even know the new hubbys name,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 2 months ago #57681

That's kinda like hitting the lottery John. You find out how many relatives you got. We just have to keep plugging away. You do good work and I too keep my plans in my head.

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 2 months ago #57749

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks robert ,i finished the drywalling and mudding,i put on and sanded off abot 68 pounds of drywall mud,trying to get it perfect,especially the archway it will hopefully look like marble and have a gloss finish.
we painted the tan/gold base color on the other walls yesterday,now today i will apply the pearl shine to them,then clearcoat.

after all this drywall sanding i cant wait to get back to fiberglass,lol.

---Mark Twain

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 2 months ago #57770

Sounds like great progress so far John. Can't wait to see the pics of the finished job, i know it will be outstanding Hope that knee is holding up much better for you now.

Bob

Re:building our room and porch roof. 12 years 2 months ago #57782

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks cal,and yeah its a little better than it was,but it still doesent work well,besides some pain,it will snap like a whip,lol,terrible sound,lol.
here are some pics of the carmel colored base coat,then some with the pearl over the basecoat,next is the marble effect im going to paint on the arch,then clearcoat all of the room.
heres the base coat.. now the pearl coat,if ya notice its dark out ,i worked on trowleing the pearl on,until 9:30 last night,lol.. the pics are dark,the real color is lighter then it shows. and here is the arch with one coat of semigloss,next to TRY to paint it to look like marble,lol.

---Mark Twain
Time to create page: 0.373 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)