Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1959 Herters rebuild

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #46509

look at it this way cal,your more then a year ahead of me in restoring a flying fish,lol,and my boats just as bad,of the 3 boats i want to do for myself the fish is in the worst condition,by the ay great thread and its looking great,john

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #46588

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
John, the weather here in Green Bay area has been fantastic, temps in the 70's so I'm putting the bums rusn on the topside to get it finished. Once the weather turns cold all painting will come to a screetching hault. Hopefully this weekend I can get the finish coat on. Going to use the Rustoleum topside with a hardner then probably take a breather. Wife wants the outside fall decos up.
Thanks for all your encouragement. Great picture of you for the July 2011 calender.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #46646

cal,i envy you buddy,i want so much to get a boat ready for the shows next year,but i have no real heat in my garage/shed.
heck i should be thanking you,i now know alot of what im going to be going through when i finally get to work on my flying fish.
and as for the calander that was all rons doing,lol,i was as suprized as anyone,lol.john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #46807

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
More fish tales. Last evening I glazed, sanded, glazed, sanded, sanded, sanded. Filled some more blemishes, pit holes and sanded some more. This evening I finally got to shoot about 6 coats of primer to fill some more pit holes. With the weather as warm as it is for this time of year I think every winged insect decided to hold a national convention in my driveway. Good thing it was only quick drying high build primer. If the weather permits and I get leaves raked I can try to shoot the final coat. Have to see how the primer looks in the daylight since it was dark out the last go round.

Here's my clean slate to begin assembly

Don't know if it would be wise to do the top coat before I begin to dry fit all the hardware. I have to install the steering system from scratch, throttle controls, drill holes. Maybe I should just forget the final coat until next spring. That way I can assemble the dry fit pieces over the winter and work on the Mark 58, get my ducks in a row and when everything fits remove them and then paint. Any opinions??
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #46810

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Just for review.

Before.

After
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #46841

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Awesome progress Cal, IMHO! Quite the transformation. You've done more in a few months than many of us get done in a year. :ohmy:

A couple thoughts on the paint or hardware first (?) quandary;
1 - Test fitting hardware first ensures that if you have a mishap with the drill or saw, or end up having to relocate something you thought you had where you wanted it, it would be much less work to repair before painting. Plus you don't have to worry about something scratching the fresh paint all winter while in storage.
2 - If you go ahead and shoot it now, and are very careful with the installation of hardware, you have all winter to wire and rig the accessories and controls, etc.. Plus come springtime, you'll be a giant step closer to launch! I have a hunch you're super careful with your work, and you obviously have previous experience keeping a beautiful boat protected during the off season. It's your call, but I'm thinking "go for it" if the weather holds. :P

Mark

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #46843

I gotta agree with Mark here. Plus I would let the leaves take care of themselves!

VERY nice work, that's gonna be one nice boat when you're done. congrats.

Frank

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #46853

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Mark and Frank, I'm made the decision to leave the final paint until next spring. The cans will just have to sit on the shelf and haunt me all winter. Thinking about the rigging and laying on my back under the dash, feet wondering around on new paint? belt buckle? as Mark said mishap with a drill or screwdriver and I would be kicking myself all winter. Besides, I'll probably find more pit holes.
As far as the leaves go the wife would take care of me if I let them take care of themselves.
Thanks for the input, helps with decision making.
Cal

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #46879

I would avoid buying a gun at Harbor Freight. Home Depot has guns but I think they are a better grade of chinese that HF. I could say alot about HF but I think I'll be polite instead.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #46929

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
HUH???

Why would I buy a gun at Harbor Freight or Home Depot. I would go to a gun shop/dealer.

Really off subject.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #46942

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I agree with the wait till spring. I had my Flyer pretty much finished inside and everything Dry fit before I turned it over to do the bottom. Now I have the trailer and bottom done I'm going to flip it over and work on the interior over the winter. All I have for the Flyer is a covered shelter with open sides and ends so I really have to be creative with my work. Last winter I did all the inside glass work by doing sections and putting a heater inside and covering with moving blankets . I had the heater on a timer so it ran for an hour and off for an hour . Worked well but not as good as a heated garage. I'm going to try to get a coat of High build primer on before it gets too cold and windy but do the paint in the spring. I have side panels and seat cushions Etc to do but I think I have a real good jump on it for spring. I have all the hardware dry fit and ready to go. What kind of High build primer did you use for yours ? Project is looking great and you make amazing progress !

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #46953

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Rick, gotta love that trailer with the red accents. Beautiful finish on the bottom also. Wish I had the shiney chrome accessories like you have. Do you guys ever get any snow in that area or is it just the rainy season that you call winter??
I've given the interior a thought but that's about as far as that subject got.
Really looking good from your pictures keep us posted.
Spending the day putting my woodie to sleep for the season. Shame it only went out once this whole summer.
The primer I'm using is called MarHyde got it at one of our local auto parts store (Federated). A two parter. I'm on my second gallon if you would believe, so many pit holes and blemishes. Probably sanded 3/4 of the gallon away. The first was a yellow color but the second gallon was gray. I Ran out of the primer activator so I used what I had left from the Imron, worked like a dream. My next step is working on the steering system that I salvaged from the (gulp) Dorset. Problem I'm running into is that the steering cable is from an 18 footer and the Herters is a 16.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #46960

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Rick really needs to start a thread here on FG but for now those interested he has a thread over at Northwest Classic Boat Club. You will need to register to view the photos.

www.classicboatclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1688

Cal, we get just enough snow to reek havoc with the motorist here and provide people who have lived in snow country some amusement until the rain comes. ( I lived outside of Watertown,NY with lake effects snow. Sure it rains everyday and the sun never shines here but I don't have to shovel mountains of snow and deal with sub zero temps.)

Cal, love your work,energy, and attention to detail.

Melanie

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #47220

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Running into a problem with the steering wheel. I have the ride guide almost ready to mount on the Herters but the bracket that mounts to the dash is straight vertical. the dash on the fish is also vertical making the wheel look like a destroyer type. Anyone have a way of making it tilt? Might have to do some modifying somewhere. I'm starting with a clean dash with no holes so mounting the wheel won't have to match anything previous.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #47233

• MarkS
Teleflex makes a 20* angle helm kit, and a wedge kit, but I don't think they'll fit the Ride Guide system. There was an (optional?) angled helm on some of the RG systems, my Cutter Tornado had one on it. (Different wheel design, more like Frank's, but same system in general). If no one comes up with one you may want to get in touch with Joe Poole at www.FergusonPooleMarine.com , that man has a resource of Merc parts that would blow your mind! :P (I've got his cell number if you need it, the website seems to be down right now sorry.)

Mark

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #47304

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Joe mailed me and gave all the good info on the ride guide parts. I am holding off on buying anything yet, have some ideas I'm working on now.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #47693

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Been a few days since I worked on the Herters. Dry fitting parts and working on the steering system. Got the hole drilled for the wheel and now fitting a mahogany dash into place. Polished the Herters signature bow piece.
Good news is that I phoned the previous owner today and asked about the Mark 58AE that was hanging on the back. He said it ran perfect the last time it was in the water but that was a long time ago. Where have we heard that before. He has extra parts for the motor, starter, et al that he was going to throw out. I told him to hang on and I will pick them up when I go to the Milwaukee/Madison area in WI.

The polished aluminum bow piece.

Dry fit of the starboard side trim.

Where the 18 gallon onboard fuel tank will be placed.

Running the steering cable through the PVC tube from the stern.

Steering cable entering thte PVC from front.

The "perfect running back when" Mark 58 AE.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #47710

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Actually that Glove box on the flyer was polished Aluminum. I'm having the tail light polished also. I had a light bulb moment while the boat was turned upside down and crawled underneath and realized I could finish all the overhead fiberglass while it was turned over and it was flat? So now I'm going to leave it and do all the last of the reinforcement and painting underneath before I flip it. Don't know why I never thought of that before ? Live & Learn. I want to spray the topside with the high build so the finish will come out like glass . As far as Snow like Melanie says just enough to up set the flow but it doesn't stick around long . Mt Baker right behind us sets records for Snowfall on the Planet ! We are right on the water so we get Rain almost everyday and if not raining it looks like it's going to any moment. When it's nice here you forget about the gloom & Doom

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #47712

Cal,
It's all coming along nicely. Waiting to paint her was a good idea, don't want to rush it.

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #48233

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Sure am glad I waited for the paint, best advice ever. I would have been in deep doo doo with all the climbing around and fitting.
The last few days I've been grinding, filing, sanding taking down aluminum gouges trying to make the casts of the tail fins look decent. At least they are thick and heavy so I can file out the deep cuts from dock bumping and whatever cleaved into them.
Got the trailer ID tag glued on, used locktite 2 part epoxy that was suggested on the trailer thread.

The two evil monsters and glove box cover.

Trailer tag.
Notice the little prank?
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #48397

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Did some Christmas shopping today. The tail lights that were mounted to the cast aluminum fin ends were completely shot, rusted and missing except for the glass lenses. I paid a visit to one of our local truck dealers, semi/heavy haulers. If you ever saw one of the big rigs go toolin' down the highway at night you know there is a varity of lights these guys mount on their units. Anyway I went shopping and came up with some new red tailights that fit perfect in the Herters fin caps, just have to enlarge the insert hole to accept the rubber mounting gromet. Four lights, four mounting gromets and four wiring harness connectors all for bargain price.

Another view. You can see where the mounts have to be fitted to the cast but they are a perfect fit.

Still working on grinding,filing,sanding and polishing the aluminum accessories.

John, The red and clear glass lenses that were original to the boat are yours if you want them for your fish. The mounting rings and other parts are toast but you might be able to salvage something. Let me know.
Cal
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #48406

• MarkS

Notice the little prank?

The sticker got put on upside down!? Kind reminds me of a Custom Craft HID number stamped into the transom shield, upside down. Guess you're supposed to stand on the other side, bend over and read it Cal! :laugh:

The new tail lights look great, BTW.

Mark

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #48415

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hey Mark, you noticed huh? I was in a hurry to get it stuck on before the quick set epoxy set up I just put it on and held it in place for five minutes. Later when taking the picture the Faux Pas exposed itself. Too late now. At least it's registerable.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #48416

thanks cal,its much appreciated ,thank you,i think i have a set that will work,if not then im going to put 59 caddy lens in it,the way i figure it we found it in a junkyard ,its life was over,so i can customize it up,i like doing that,lol,its fun for me to come up with ways to be different,lol,my wife says im different!,lol,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #48418

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ah yes, those '59 Caddy lenses. One small phillips screw underneath them, a quick quarter turn clockwise and out they come. Oooops sorry going back a few years. The aftermarkets are on the Bay. I thought about them too. Will look really cool. The offer stands to anyone who would need them.
Cal

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #48445

Nice find Cal, those look great.

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #48547

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Got two of the holes cut out today on one of the fin caps. Drilling/cutting through 1/4" of cast aluminum is not an easy task for someone that does not have a machine shop handy. I used a hole saw in my "made in China" drill press. Holes came out somewhat sloppy but worked out ok.
Some pics of the holes made to fit the new tail lights. The rubber mountings fit tight in the holes and seal out any water, I hope.

The new holes.

From the back with the lights installed.

Fitted on the fin.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #48551

Nicely done Cal, those look GREAT!

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #48553

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
That is going to be one seriously cool looking stern! Just make sure those lights are OFF at night on the water- Looks like a ticket in the making :)

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #48555

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thank Yewww.....
Trying to keep up with this step by step build and the process so I can pick up some ideas and advice from you fellas/gals and help someone who might see something they like or not. By the time this build is finished the world of Fiberglassics will know every inch and screw and bolt and wire that is in this baby. Following some of the threads I've picked up info on new transoms, hole filling, paint vs gel coat and on and on.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #48562

cal they look fantastic!!!!!!!,man i have cabin fever already,i want to work on mine,and if my nephew doesnt call and come out to work on the boat i gave him,then im going to my flying fish in the garage and start on it,but it will be a little at a time,just a couple of electric heaters in it,lol,i have find a plaque propane wall heater and get a 100 lb tank,i think im going to sell some stuff i dont need on ebay,john

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #48564

john, here in pike county bottled gas is more expensive than electric. my neighbor switched to all electric heating.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #48572

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Looks great Cal - I'm going to try and wire the tail lights on the Larson so they can connect with the trailer lights so when I'm going down the road they will light up and if I can figure it out have the turn signals blink right or left. I don't have doubles like yours. Those are really sweet looking - great job

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #48577

Its because of threads like this that I had no fear with dragging home My 58 Playmaster. Thank You for taking the time to post pictures. Dave

Florida's Amphicar restoration destination

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #48580

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Morning Cal,

Very cool lights! You really come up wiith some great ideas. Your rebuild is one of the threads I look for when I log on. keep up the great work.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #48601

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Rick, shouldn't be hard doing the light thing. Get another trailer light wire setup with the plugs, tap into your existing trailer lighting in the back, don't scratch that nice yellow paint, hook up the brown wire to your tail lights on the boat, the yellow/green to either side and you're good to go. You'll have to have regular tail light sockets and bulbs on the boat and run the white ground wire also. When you trailer up just plug the wire from your boat to the trailer harness, bingo.
That would be cool, freaking out the people behind you at night.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #48605

sorry for the hijack cal,but this might help some with wiring a boat for the trailer,it shows which wire goes where and what its for,i have this saved because i can never remember,lol,john
www.accessconnect.com/trailer_wiring_diagram.htm

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #48606

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Wish I would have had that many years ago. Lost count on how many trailers I've had to re-do because people just did not understand the color code and the importance of a ground wire. Thanks for the link.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #48616

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Afternoon John,

Again, you come through with the secrets to life! Whenever someone posts something like this, I print it on card stock and put it in those plastic sleeves in a binder that I keep in my shop. When I need it, I can access it and not worry about greasy fingerprints getting on the pages. They wipe right odd of the plastic. Thanks a million, as usual!

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 5 months ago #48624

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Those are the ones I put on my favorites list and print out when I have time.
Been busy this afternoon and took a string of pictures of how I polish the crappy aluminum pieces for the build. The Herters has all aluminum trim which gets old real fast, discolors, bangs, scrapes, scratches and generally looks bad. Here is one of the side pieces, a step by step to get it better than it was.
LOTS OF PICTURES for all of us first graders.
Started out with this:

Screwed it down to the workbench to make it easier to work on.

Used dry 220 grit to "buff" out the heavy gouges.

What the rough piece looked like.

Sanding out the gouges and corners.

Using a Scotchbright pad to work on deep scratches.

After the Scotchbright buffing.

Wet sanding with 600 grit w/d.

Power rubbing with rubbing compound. That polishing wheel is over 55 years old and just about seen its' better days, but it works.

After the rubbing, looks like an oyster but the pearl is underneath.

After washing and drying. Voila!

And surprise dinner guests on my deck last night. All the corn on the cob they could eat!

Time to create page: 0.578 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)

noimage