Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Shell Lake Rebuild

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 11 years 2 months ago #74245

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Hey John, not restorin' completely rebuilding. Too cold outside to do much of anything, so I got back on the project.
Been working on the seating arrangement, pegging screw holes and general woodworking.

Many hundreds of pegs to put in. Just about finished the deck areas except for the motor well area.

Setting up the captains chair, front and back.

Too dusty to sand inside so there's going to be one pile of dust on the driveway when the weather starts warming up.
So far everything is still in the rough stages, lots of fairing and edging to be done.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 11 years 2 months ago #74247

wow cal your craftsmanship is outstanding!
and your boat is coming along great,i love it,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 11 years 2 months ago #74261

Great progress Cal, she's really coming along nicely. I can't wait to see her done!

Bob

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 11 years 1 month ago #74499

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Gettin' dusty in the basement. Just for drill I did some fareing on the bow to see how it might turn out. 36 grit on a belt sander makes short work of mahogany edges and high spots, went down to 80 on the palm sander and then some 120.

The boss wasn't home so I had some cleaning up to do since I told her I wouldn't do any sanding until it was warm enough to move outside. Whoooops.

Finished the front seating and beginning the "U" shaped back seats. Many plugs to put in and finsih off. :angry:

Initial faring on port prow.

Front seats.

Framing up rear side and aft seating.

Hard to believe that 4 months ago this was 80 bd ft of rough sawn.
Attachments:

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 11 years 1 month ago #74504

63sabre,

But, but, but (SPUTTER, SPUTTER), you've made it WAY too NICE to live-line out of! = !@#$%^!

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 11 years 1 month ago #74505

Great looking job there Cal. Looks like it is coming along very nice. I know about the sanding bit and the wife. Mine always gets a little ticked when I start sanding also.Skip.

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 11 years 1 month ago #74511

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Really looking good up there Cal, keep the progress reports coming please!

Mark

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 11 years 1 month ago #74626

Hi Cal,
I have a question about you deck fames under you deck planks (slats):
Did you just use 3M 5200 to hold your frames down to the fiberglass deck ?
Or did you run screws thru the deck too ?

You deck looks awesome BTW !!!!

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 11 years 1 month ago #74650

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Chuck, actually used both. The original deck was really warped out of shape on the starboard side so I had to make individule frames to contour to the warp every 10 inches. That being done I laid a bead of 5200, set the frame and then counter sunk screws through the frame into the fiberglass decking. there is a 8 inch layer of foam floatation under the deck so any screw tips are not a problem.
Cal

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 11 years 4 weeks ago #75414

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Got myself in trouble that last few days. Started some sanding in the basement and garage, big no no with Honduran mahogany, the sawdust turns a very deep red color when it gets wet and seems to stain everything in sight, Ma's not happy with me......at all.

Filled in the chamford bow strips, seat backs and motor well area. I vow not to do any more sanding until the weather warms and I can move outside.

seat backs
Attachments:

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 11 years 4 weeks ago #75417

WoW, this deck is turning out really great looking Cal.Looks really sharp with the beading done and sanded down. You need to go over to harbour freight and get one of there small dust collection systems. Thats what I had to do so the wife would let me sand when I was making Harps. She loved the harps but hated all that red dust. Good luck and keep up the great work. Skip.

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 11 years 4 weeks ago #75439

Looking fantastic Cal. One thing about the Harbor Freight dust collectors. They have the cheap bags on them. You'll need ones with a much small micron filtering. I have the 2hp model which works great but you still get some dust in the air. I haven't spent the money new bags yet. When i do I think I'll only be getting the one for the top and use plastic bags for the bottom, since that's what most of the new one are equipped with. Just my 2 cents.

Bob

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 10 years 7 months ago #82734

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Been a long time on hold, spring, vacations, honey-do list etc. The rebuild is coming along. Got the final coat of varnish on the deck today, seats are made, side panels are installed, engine is finished and re-hung, wiring is just about complete, need to install the lights and horn to finish that up. Steering is installed. Today I took on the project of de-rusting the 18 gallon fuel tank. The tank is good, no leaks but loaded with rust. I went on the net to check out different options and decided to go with the electrolysis option. Flushed the tank with water to get chunks out, poured in a box of Morton salt, filled with 18 gallons of water, suspended an iron chain down the level hole, hooked up my battery charger and let her rip. + to ground, - to the chain. She started "boiling" right away. Really got to be careful with this method and do it outside because I hear it creates hydrogen gas, I could see it coming out of the filler hole, like a light misty smoke. It's going to take awhile but I think it beats pouring acid in and shaking it around or filling it with a sealer.

Here's the setup, charger.

Chain to suspend using a 1/4" dowel to not short out.

Started cooking the instant I plugged in the charger.

Really working, don't know how long it will take, supposed to stop the action if there are no more bubbles.
Attachments:

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 10 years 7 months ago #82741

Wow Cal, hadn't heard of that method before. Iet us know how it comes out. I may use it for the Century tank. Not sure though it may be too far gone and need a new one.

Bob

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 10 years 7 months ago #82746

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Bob, I'll see if there is a way to snap a picture of the inside when it,s finished. I had to order a new sending unit though, the other was completely toasted with rust and gunk. Amazon has marine universal sending units from Moeller, five star rating so I feel pretty safe in ordering it. $25.

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 10 years 7 months ago #82748

Hey Cal, I was starting to wonder if you had given up on your new project. No posts for awhile. I have done the same for cleaning tanks. Just be really careful with doing it that way. Watch that the bottom doesn't get too thin on you. I have a really good sending unit you can have if you want. It comes with a new gauge also. The unit can be made to fit any depth of tank up to 18". It is yours if you want it. Skip.

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 10 years 7 months ago #82753

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I'd be interested in finding out if pin holes develop once the rust is gone. Glad your back on her!

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 10 years 7 months ago #82764

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Left the tank sit overnight and this is what I woke up to this morning.

I dumped out the old solution, so much crud, green/gray slimy rusty gunk that smelled like old varnish so I know it's working. Now I know why it's called a "sacrificial" anode. The chain is over half gone and the steel rod disappeared.

Put in a new batch of salt water and found an old threaded rod that I will use. The bubbling has slowed down which according to the google search indicates that the rust is going away. I looked inside as best as I could, all the flakey stuff is gone and now the inside is smooth but still rusty colored. Another day should just about finish up the process.
Skip, thanks for the offer but the Amazon order is already being shipped.
Cal
Attachments:

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 10 years 7 months ago #82765

Hi Cal,
i've used this method before. The finished part will turn black, and I used a wire brush to clean it.
One other thing. You sure you you have it hooked up properly ?
If I remember correctly ? The positive side gets eaten the negative side does not. You may be eating the tank instead of eating the chain ? The chain is the sacrifice part that should be eaten.

I've used a plastic barrel, with rebar pieces linked together around the inside circumference of the barrel. those rebar pieces are hooked to the positive and disolve. The part to be cleaned is hooked to the negative. So the positive charged side sucks the rust off the negative part side.

Sounds to me that you are eating the tank and cleaning the rust off the chain ???? Unless I'm thinking backwards ?

Phew !!!! I see you have updated pics. The first set was black to chain and red to tank. I see the red to bar and black to tank now.

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 10 years 7 months ago #82766

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Chuck, you are correct. According to the gurus on Google the reason for the reverse polarity was to loosen and suck the rust off the tank walls. If you look at the pictures I first posted you will notice the change/color of the clamp handles after a few hours, I did put the + on the chain and you can see the results. Thanks for bringing that to the attention of our faithful readers.

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 10 years 7 months ago #82818

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Here's today's update on the fuel tank cleanout. After putting in a new "solution" I was called in to work and the thing sat for 13 hours. The "anode" threaded rod was about half way gone and more gunk was bubbling out the tank. I dumped that out and took some pictures. I would say it's about 85 - 90% cleaned out you can see some rust on the edges and a patch on the bottom but otherwise it's cleaning up pretty good. After taking the pictures I refilled it again and started the process. Gotta remember that I was about ready to toss this tank but nothing ventured etc.....

The inside corners if you can make them out.

The section on the bottom.

As you can see the rest cleaned up really well. When it's finished they say to turn it upside down and let a hair dryer blow in there until it's dry and then coat it with WD-40, diesel fuel or tranny fluid otherwise it will rust really fast because of the raw metal.
Attachments:

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 10 years 7 months ago #82872

Wow, works really good. I'll have to remember that one. Good stuff thanks for poating it Cal.

Bob

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 10 years 7 months ago #82878

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Bob, I finished it up today, turned out really well. When the new sending unit arrives I can put the tank back in the boat. After draining the water out as best I could I dried the rest out with a rag attached to my little tweezer reacher thingie. Poured in an old quart of atf 4 and a half quart of older 90 weight oil, sloshed it around, taped up the holes with ----drum roll---- duct tape and turned the whole tank every which way but loose to coat the inside.

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 10 years 7 months ago #82890

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Man, that tank rust removal brings me back to high school science lab. I bet the schools don't teach this anymore.

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 10 years 7 months ago #83145

Excellent Cal, sorry was off the grid all weekend, just catching up.

Bob

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 10 years 7 months ago #83338

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Finished installing all the bling this past week, got the new fuel sending unit and reinstalled the tank, working on finishing up the wiring of horn, lights, etc.

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 10 years 7 months ago #83408

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Finished all the wiring today and had time to snap a few progress pictures. Pretty far from splashdown yet.
Have to finish up the inner bumper rail, carpet, forward locker hatchway. Also had to ground the fuel filler inlet.
Small picture of the filler.

Other misc pictures.

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 10 years 7 months ago #83422

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Looking great Cal, love the rich wood look! ;)

Mark

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 10 years 7 months ago #83483

She's looking awesome Cal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 10 years 7 months ago #83486

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Bob, encouragement is always a good thing. I walked around and made a punch list of things that need to be done yet. Going to be a while. Running gear is all ready and set so it could be dunked but there is a lot of cosmetic finishing and cleaning to be done. it is water legal though.

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 10 years 7 months ago #83493

You have done really great work there Cal. The woodwork looks stunning and it really matches the hull nice. You have done some great work here and you should be really proud of your work. Wife looked at it and she loves it. Skip.

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 10 years 7 months ago #83498

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hey Skip, sudden turn of events. The fella that bid on my Century went incognito...just plain disappeared off the face of the earth...without paying. EBay cannot even contact him, guess he changed his mind. Boat is still available...Guy had it for $5900. What a deal he lost out on. The wife says it's a good thing he backed out because she would have had a ka-nip-shun if I gave it away for that price so the gods are smiling upon me.

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 10 years 7 months ago #83500

Yea,I really didn't think you wanted to sell it. Skip.

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 10 years 7 months ago #83545

Yeah me either, what were you thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 10 years 7 months ago #83578

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Me-a-culpa, I plead senior moment.

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 10 years 7 months ago #83616

Ok, just this one! LOL

Bob

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 10 years 7 months ago #83624

Aren't you glad the mind is going before the boat. Skip.

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 10 years 7 months ago #83628

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Sorta, otherwise I wudda heard "Are you outa your mind?????" :)

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 10 years 6 months ago #84445

Looking great!

Re:Shell Lake Rebuild 10 years 2 months ago #88673

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Boy, has it been a while since I posted. Holidays take their toll on all of us even waterwings. I really slowed down on the Shell Lake rebuild/mod/restore. Pretty much finished the interior and am now about to tackle fabricating some type of windshield that will match the '30's look that I am trying to achieve. Wanted the old mahogany look with coushy(?) pillow like seating with lots of storage. Still looking to give it a dunk this coming spring but the trailer will be on the back burner.
Gotta excuse the dust and dirt/tools laying around. [img] [img]http://www.fiberglassics.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1210141.JPG

Time to create page: 0.380 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6573 guests and one member online