Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Texas Maid

Texas Maid 14 years 1 month ago #1296

Would like to talk to anyone with a Texas Maid boat. Iam in the process of getting a 1962 Cabin Cruzier. Would like to put a dual motor set up but tell me if Iam wrong or right. I just like the look of two motors in the old brochures. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Texas Maid 14 years 1 month ago #1680

• kevin
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
i have a 1959 texas maid osprey that i am redoing. it came with the original 1959 35 horse johnson
Attachments:

Re:Texas Maid 14 years 1 month ago #1744

That is going to be a sweet run about. Looks like you got a lot of work but a cool base to start from.

Re:Texas Maid 14 years 3 weeks ago #1916

• kevin
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
do you have any pics of your boa? there is really not much information on texas maids. i wish there were more.

Re:Texas Maid 14 years 3 weeks ago #1933

Attached is a photo of my 1958 Texas Maid aluminum 15 ft Bahama model runabout. It is in good shape and came with a 1959 Evinrude Lark 35 hp outboard. I would like to find original paint schem information such as a photo or brochure as well as the right decals (it pre-dates the red/yellow decal).

Any information would be appreciated!

Scott
Attachments:

Re:Texas Maid 14 years 3 weeks ago #1971

Here is when I put it on the water to check how it floated. There is no sound like water hitting the side of an aluminum boat. Takes me back to fishing trips in grandads old 1959 Lonestar. Or in high school when we would take dads ( great grandads ) 14 Sears v hull out. Or the thousand times I have been on flat bottom Jon boats fishing and ONCE ONCE gator hunting. No sound like it!!!!!!!

Re:Texas Maid 14 years 3 weeks ago #1973

heres pic
Attachments:

Re:Texas Maid 14 years 3 weeks ago #1974

That baby looks good in the water. :cheer:

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Texas Maid 14 years 3 weeks ago #1981

Thanks just one small pin hole in bow and slight transum leak. Nothing bad. Just need a motor hahaha

Re:Texas Maid 14 years 1 week ago #2920

Have my dads old 63 Texas Maid Fiesta, it came with dual Merc 45s. He bought it brand new. I am now in the process of rebuilding a 59 Lone Star El Dorado

Re:Texas Maid 14 years 1 week ago #2975

Hey Capnbob you got pictures? Sure would like to see the dual Merc.s and your Lonestar too Thanks

Re:Texas Maid 14 years 1 week ago #3032

Here's a couple of things that I have on Texas Maid. The first is from the 1962 catalog showing your cruiser. The color scheme seems a little different. The next two are from the 1960 catalog and show the Bahama and the third shows the 1960 specs. I know that black and white doesn't really help a lot for trying to get the color right, but they just weren't into color back then.

Lee Wangstad
Attachments:

Re:Texas Maid 14 years 2 days ago #3293

Thanks Mr Wangstand for the brochure pics. I was lucky that The orginal owner had the orginal 1961 sales brochure and gave it to me!!!! The boat has has some touch up painting but it is still in orginal form. However the decals on the rear quarter were removed.

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 11 months ago #3775

My grandfather had a '61 Texas Maid Tahiti which we kept in the family for over 20 years. It started life with a '62 80hp West Bend Tiger Shark, followed by a '68 Johnson 85hp and a '75 Evinrude 85hp.

This photo was taken at the Island Club on Hogback Island up river from Quincy, Il.

In the background, you'll see a '62 Texas Maid Tahiti. These were pretty popular boats around Quincy where I grew up.

[img]http://[IMG]http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr293/paulfranken/655887-R1-10-10_011-1-1-1.jpg[/img]
Attachments:

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 11 months ago #3778

Here's another picture of me and my siblings with my grandparents. I'm in the thick life perserver.[img][IMG]http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr293/paulfranken/655887-R1-02-2_003-1.jpg[/img]

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 11 months ago #4059

Very cool pictures Paul. You just cant beat the double door hatch on the Texas Maids.

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 11 months ago #4082

You can fit 5 kids in there. That's where we all wanted to ride.

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 11 months ago #4417

Paul,
This will bring back some memories for you. I have the exact same '61 Texas Maid Tahiti. Found it in the Dallas, Tx area on Craigslist and had it brought up to the Chicago area by a great guy I sold a 60's Crownline to. Stored for now, two other Crestliners to complete first. Mine was stripped on the inside, so I'd love to see any pics of the interior/seats for my re-do. I'll be running a 75 hp '60 Johnson or twin 35 hp Johnsons.
Thanks,
Paul

Just couldn't believe you had the same boat. Great to see one in the water, haven't gotten mine wet yet.

LakeLBJ,
Any idea what size the drain plug is, I have to pick one up.
Attachments:

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 11 months ago #4419

Here's a pic of the inside.

LakeLBJ,
love that Electra! Had a line on one of those in Ohio that didn't pan out. Came across a 20' 1962 Crestliner Empress cuddy cabin to play with in the meantime. It's cool how the Fiesta, Tahiti and Electra are all variations on the same hull style.
Attachments:

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 11 months ago #4512

Yep they are all the same. I was lucking enuf to get to talk to the brother of the man that did all the design work on the bigger Texas Maids. He said the hulls used all the same parts to save on production cost and the number of dies. Makes since, save money were you can, just change up the tops.

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 11 months ago #4556

Cool, Paul!
To answer your drain plug question, all I remember about the plug was it was as a round, flat piece of aluminum with two ears on top to screw into the bottom of the hull. It looked like the manufacturer built it.

Your boat apparently had an OMC outboard at some point. I can tell by the square hole in the dash which held the ignition switch and choke switch and overheat lamp. We had a hole in the same place when grandpa bought a 1968 85hp Johnson Electramatic.

Several years ago, I provided the 1961 brochure that is on this website. It shows the seating and hardware. Not sure who manufactured the stearing wheel, but it was used on many different boats in the early 60's. I've seen it on a few Thompsons. The convertible top was made by Taylormade.

Our Texas Maid must have been made an early 1961 model. It didn't have the thicker metal strip running down the side as shown on yours and in the brochure. It also had the the 1960 version seating, which were white with black on the sides with a black stripe running down the middle.

The interior was painted gray with black and white specks. Looks like all you need is decking, back to back seats, steering wheel, motor and controls and you're well on your way to a restoration.

I've got pictures of our Texas Maid plus others that I have seen on the internet over the years. I'll try to get them posted for you.

Paul

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 11 months ago #4566

[img size=400][IMG]http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr293/paulfranken/655887-R1-03-3_004-1.jpg[/img]

Grandpa was big in the Coast Guard Auxilary. Note the CB radio antenna on the deck. The big West Bend TigerShark was so loud that he mounted a piece of plexiglass on the splash well to deflect the noise.

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 11 months ago #4567

[img size=400][IMG]http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr293/paulfranken/655887-R1-04-4_005.jpg[/img]

The boat was brand new in this photo. Note the plastic on the seats! Grandpa later built a wood enclosure hinged on the the front of the splash well to cover the fuel tank.

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 11 months ago #4568

[img size=400][IMG]http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr293/paulfranken/655887-R1-06-6_007.jpg[/img]

An interior shot. The seats were 1960 model in a 1961 model boat. They were back to back and the seat back folded to the rear to make a lounge. There was storage inside the seat backs that was accessed through a panel in the bottom of the seat back.

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 11 months ago #4570

[img size=400][IMG]http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr293/paulfranken/661728-R1-33-33_034.jpg[/img]

Note the side curtains. The boat also came with a rear curtain that attached back to the rear of the boat.

Grandpa replaced the original light mast with an extra tall one that he built himself so the light could be seen 360 degrees as required for Coast Guard Auxilary inspection.
Since he was in the Auxilary, he needed to set a good example.

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 11 months ago #4598

Paul,
Thanks for posting the pics. Yep, it must have had an OMC motor at some point judging from the mounting holes in the transom. I believe the steering wheel in your catalog was a Kainer. Another member, Alan Morris sent me pics of the seats he re-did in his '62 Tahiti. Did yours look like these? I like the bench seat combo rather than separate back-to-backs shown in the catalog.

(well, can't post the seat pics since they were sent to me in a jpeg format. Anyone know how to do this? In the meantime, I'll try to email them directly to you, Paul.)

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 11 months ago #4615

Wow! those are some great vintage photos!

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 11 months ago #4616

[img size=400][IMG]http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr293/paulfranken/fd05_12.jpg[/img]

Here are the exact seats we had. They are 1960 style. The 61's in the brochure had a litlle more modern seat. I think you have to go to the 15 footers and smaller for a bench seat.

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 11 months ago #4617

[img size=400][IMG]http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr293/paulfranken/f611_12.jpg[/img]

Here are the seats in the boat that was on sale on ebay a while back. They were still offering port side steering as an optioin in their models.

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 11 months ago #4619

Ok, fellas. Here's a link to every Texas Maid Photo I have seen on the internet. Some of these boats may look very familiar to some of you. Let me know if this doesn't work.

Texas Maid Boats

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 11 months ago #4684

Paul,
Thanks so much for posting those pics, especially of the seats. Alan's were exactly like the ones you show except the front seats were connected forming a bench seat. Same moveable backrest set up. If you send me your email, I will get them to you. Mine is:
psyambro at hotmail.com

It's exciting to see how good the black/white paint on the hull looked when it was new. Mine is so faded, it's hard to tell what it looked like.

Here's a pic of the steering wheel I'm looking for - is this what was in your boat?
Paul
Attachments:

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 11 months ago #4725

That's the design of the wheel, only in white. There was a little red insert in the hub that read "Texas Maid"

The original paint was a charcoal black. I remember trying to do some touchups with black paint and there was quite a difference.

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 11 months ago #4894

Heres the pic of the plug in my Texas Maid Electra
Attachments:

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 11 months ago #4896

Paul Thanks very much for the great pics. Looks very cool.

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 11 months ago #4898

Well, The masses Grow on Tx Maid Fans... Just a Hello.. Here is my 57 Falcon..

:)
Attachments:

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 11 months ago #4926

That's the plug I remember!

You're welcome on the photos.

That is one shiny '57 Falcon!

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 11 months ago #4931

Nice looking Falcon! I love the Chrysler! :)

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 11 months ago #4992

WOW would luv to see that Falcon on the water. Bet you could not even look at it its so bright .

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 11 months ago #5002

LakeLBJ,
Thanks for the pic of the plug.

Paul,
Thanks for all the pics on the seats.

This is turning into a pretty cool thread with LBJ's Electra, Paul's Tahiti, Scotty's Bahama and Hooker's Falcon. Really great to see so many models at one time.

Paul

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 10 months ago #5746

Well it took me a while and i had to buy two motors and then saw the ones I wanted. Dual 35s with four stick control box!!!
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.350 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)