Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Texas Maid

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 11 months ago #5747

The box says Johnson Ship Master on it
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 8 months ago #11959

i'm trying to figure out the date on my texas maid bahama. i think i've narrowed it down to '57-59. it's got the fins and evidence of the old tm decal. curious what the rear seat setup is in the back of the '58 posted here by scotty old boat..is it a bench rear with two support rails across the width of the boat?? mine is definitely prior to the fancy fold down seats..we're talkin plywood benches, with a sort of step thru cutout for the back support of the front. i know the seats are original, as "bahama" was scribbled on the old plywood rear seat. came with a crappy home red/white paint job over dark green metallic. i'm reupholstering the seats and sprucin' her up a bit.

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 8 months ago #12869

• TNLark35
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I just got my Texas Maid Osprey in the water today. Went through almost 2 tanks today, running a 1958 Evinrude Lark 35 that was my grandfathers. The previous owner started stripping the paint from the boat, Im going to repaint it this winter like it originally was and get the seat boards upholstered.
Attachments:

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 7 months ago #14590

• TNLark35
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
LakeLBJ TX Maid wrote:

Heres the pic of the plug in my Texas Maid Electra

Anybody have an extra one of these plugs? Or know where I could find something similar to it?
Thanks!

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 6 months ago #17807

No sorry sure dont I will look thru some of the old boat yard round here. But I always try to pick up little things like small parts every time I find a old Texas Maid. But dont recall having an extra plug. As slow as my project is going I could prolly give yah my plug :side:. One day I will get it on the water!

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 6 months ago #17817

• TNLark35
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
LakeLBJ TX Maid wrote:

No sorry sure dont I will look thru some of the old boat yard round here. But I always try to pick up little things like small parts every time I find a old Texas Maid. But dont recall having an extra plug. As slow as my project is going I could prolly give yah my plug :side:. One day I will get it on the water!

LOL! I wonder if there is some way to make a mold of one and get it cast. Hmmmm.....

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 4 weeks ago #28350

After along summer and winter finally getting back to working on boat.

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 4 weeks ago #28351

Doing all the dry fitting. And have transom in and hung the twins.

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 3 weeks ago #28381

LBJ,
Good going! Can't wait to hear how your maiden voayge with the twins goes. I'm starting to get itchy to get on the water, too. But only 35 degrees here in Chicago today.

I'm getting twins ready to go on my '58 Crestliner Explorer - both 35 hp- a '58 Johnson Super Quiet and a '59 Evinrude Lark.

Bought a '60 Lone Star El Dorado 18' cruiser last year that I'm working on as well. John Gibson just did a really cool job on the steering wheel for it and now I've got to re-do the boat so it looks as good as the wheel! I highly recommend him.

So for now, the Texas Maid Tahiti 18' is relegated to third place and will stay at the family farm in Pennsylvania until I get these two finished.
Paul

Re:Texas Maid 13 years 3 weeks ago #28505

There was two pics in those last two post. Not sure why. Bet that 58 johnson is a buet. I looked at one but thought it would be to hard to find a mate and it was a short shaft.

Re:Texas Maid 12 years 11 months ago #31465

Seems live gets in the way of projects, but the alternative sure is not good! Well finally got the twins hung and work on sealing hull and decking is moving along.
Attachments:

Re:Texas Maid 12 years 11 months ago #31467

Seems live gets in the way of projects, but the alternative sure is not good! Well finally got the twins hung and work on sealing hull and decking is moving along.

Re:Texas Maid 12 years 11 months ago #31831

That's awesome, LakeLBJ! I love the twin Lark's on your Maid! How long until you get to splash test?

Re:Texas Maid 12 years 11 months ago #31832

Re:Texas Maid 12 years 11 months ago #31861

Well Johnny did one two days after I got her home. But sadly that was last time. It is do one hope by end of summer.

Re:Texas Maid 12 years 11 months ago #32340

Sorry I'm a little late to the game. I got this one for free from an older gentleman who decided he wasn't into boats anymore. It had a Johnson Sea-horse Electric 60hp on it. Plans are for a new Mercury 4-Stroke 60hp. I've got the floor and foam out about to glu-vit. Then powerwash, paint, floor, carpet, interior, new steering cables. I plan to do everything myself except re-chroming the steering wheel and reupholstering the bottom of the hatch door. So far it's been a pretty easy project. It floats.. :-)

Link: Here's a link to the pics I took last night
Attachments:

Re:Texas Maid 12 years 11 months ago #32368

Woohoo! Another Texas Maid! Welcome aboard, quickpm. The hull looks like it's in great shape. Should be a nice little boat when you finish and you definitely can't beat the price :laugh:

Keep us updaated on your progress.

Re:Texas Maid 12 years 11 months ago #32406

Way to score quickpm. What color are you going with? Very nice looking boat be even better when your done.

Re:Texas Maid 12 years 11 months ago #32462

I like the red/white combos. Same color scheme except red where the tan is now.

Link: Then red and white seats from Overtons.

My cousin does vinyl, so I'm going to try and get the stripe replicated as close as possible (in red). My Texas Maid logos are cracked, but I'm going to carefully take them off and see if I can do something with them.

As far as carpet, I was going with a neutral gray. Haven't thought that far yet. Berber snap like a pontoon boat might be nice, but it may be too much hassle- I may just glue regular carpet to the plywood.

One item I haven't researched yet: I have red and blue nav lights. Do I have to change the blue to green?

Re:Texas Maid 12 years 9 months ago #36230

Here's an update if anyone's following:

I'll post the links to my picture site and sum up here:

[url=http://http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/17362168_NFc7TQ]5-31-11 Pulled most of the foam[/url]

6-14-11 Took to the lake to check for leaks

6-14-11 (After leak check) First Gluvit application

(No pics, but there was a second round of Gluvit and a second leak check - no leaks now)

6-26-11 Sandblast in progress

Here's how it mostly stands now:

I finished sandblasting it, and my cousin and I are painting it next weekend. I have a laundry list of things to do, but I'm done with the deconstructing stage. It's going back together now. I have everything major except the carpet (in the mail) and a prop. I didn't get a prop or a prop recommendation from the dealer because I have access to a wholesaler. I didn't think it was right to ask them what I needed.

I also bought a new motor. I was thinking Mercury but I went with Yamaha.

Any prop recommendations for a 1000 pound runabout on a 60hp 4-stroke?

Fun fact: I asked a question about the red/blue lights and I found my answer. Back in the 60's lights were typically yellow, so blue and yellow make green. It didn't matter so much with the red, but the starboard side didn't look right. One solution is to do surgery on the lens, another is to get some see-thru yellow tape from Autozone and put it on the inside of the lens.

Let me know how I'm doing. I think I'm doing it right, but there's usually a better way.

Re:Texas Maid 12 years 6 months ago #45494

Quickpm ur Texas Maid is looking nice. The info on the lights is very interesting. Never thought about yellow bulbs.

Re: Texas Maid 12 years 4 months ago #51393

I also have a 62 Electra, but mine came from the factory with a 110 Mercruiser in/out. According to the serial #, the engine is from 1962. The outdrive is the oldest Mercruiser outdrive I have ever seen, (it has two small shocks on the sides). I'm told it pre-dates pre-alphas.

I had it running and in the water three years ago, but it hasn't been started since. I'm gonna try to start her next week (fingers crossed).

Looking at the brochures, this seems to have all options offered. It has the original trailer, thru-hull head, and one of the benches is designed so it can be raised into a table or lowered into a bench seat. I do need an original steering wheel. The one on it now makes it look like the SS Minnow.

It was user for years by the original owner on Lake Erie for Walleye fishing and he took great care of the boat. I wish I were so mechanically inclined.

I'd love to re-power it with something a little more modern, easier to work on, but it's so damned original that swapping the motor would be a shame.

Sorry to post on your forum without a real question, but I am hoping to meet some other people who have fixed up these great boats. Plus, I figure people should know TM Electras also came with Merc 110s, not just the twin outdrives. If there is any interest, I'll post pics of the transom and the rest of this setup.

Thanks for letting me get this out on your forum. I've had this boat for five years, am just getting around to fixing it up, and love to talk about it.

I plan to start my own forum on the topic of Texas Maid Electras and a Gallery to post pics of mine, I just haven't learned that much about this site yet.

Thanks again,
Bill A

Re:Texas Maid 12 years 4 months ago #51414

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard Bill, glad to have you join us. We'd love to see some pics of your Electra, and please do keep us posted on your progress. ;)

Mark

Re:Texas Maid 12 years 4 months ago #51432

I put a few more pics in the gallery, under 62 Texas Maid Electra.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.292 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6939 guests and one member online