Additional History needed. Please contact us if you would like to edit this page.
Graymarine Gasoline and Diesel Marine Engines
Gray Marine Motor Company
Subsidiary of Continental Motors Corporation
688 Canton Ave.
John W. Mulford served as president of Gray Marine in 1961 (January 21, 1961 New York Times). His father O. J. Mulford founded the Gray Marine Motor Company which was bought by Continental Motors Corporation in 1944 (Jan. 8, 1956 New York Times). In 1959, Gray Marine offered 22 different gasoline marine engines and six marine diesel engines. The Fireball series of V-8 marine engines was popular. This line expanded from a 160 and 225 HP offering in 1958 to include 135 and 170 HP engines. It operated as a subsidiary until 1964 when it was re-organized as a division of Continental. Manufacturing operations were consolidated across the state in Continental's Muskegon, Michigan location; engineering in Continental's Detroit facility. For most of its history, Gray Marine used Continental engine blocks in their marine engines. Continental chose to stop offering gasoline marine engines, only filling existing orders received by October 1966. Instead, a line of marine diesel engines under the Graymarine and CMC brands were to be marketed from 1967-on.
History by Andreas Jordahl Rhude
In August 1967 Pipestone Manufacturing Company (maker of Pipestone boats) was sold to Puratronics, Inc. of Minneapolis. Production remained in the city of Pipestone. In October 1967 Puratronics bought Midwest Marine, Inc. of Red Wing, MN. This firm made the "Mariner" brand of fiberglass boats. Mariner was merged with Pipestone. Puratronics bought Lange Manufacturing, Inc. of Pipestone in February 1968. One of their lines were accessories for boats. Puratronics agreed to buy the Gray Marine Engine firm in March 1968.