Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Going down from 70 to 50 HP?

Going down from 70 to 50 HP? 2 months 3 weeks ago #148618

I should already know the answer to this, but here’s the deal… As you might know, my dad was bill Tritt, who founded Glasspar in 1948. He designed all the production boats and cars up until he left the company in 1960, including the ‘60 Citation I own, which came with a Merc 700 direct-reversing engine. I decided that I would prefer the relative usability of an outboard that would be allowed on all California bodies of water, instead of only the ocean, and I don’t feel the need to go 50. So, I’ve been considering a Nissan 50 with oil injection and power tilt/trim. Nissan is the same as Tohatsu and has an excellent reputation.

So. Will I be wishing I’d gone with an 85, or do you think that 50 HP would do it for someone over 80 himself?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terrydi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Going down from 70 to 50 HP? 2 months 3 weeks ago #148619

I had a 1960 Citation years ago powered by a 1978 Johnson 55. I was very pleased with it's performance and was even able to water ski off of it at around 210 - 215 lbs back then. It definitely struggled a bit as a ski boat, but was great just cruising.

Going down from 70 to 50 HP? 2 months 3 weeks ago #148620

Hello windymatt,

Welcome to Fiberglassics.
Lotsa Glasspar fans here so please share photos of the Citation.
Would hate to see an old Merc get swapped out but modern power sure has advantages.

A friend runs a 65hp Merc on his Citation and he always said he would like more.

The Citation is one of my favorite Glasspar models and is testament to the genius of Bill Tritt.
Your dad’s accomplishments and contributions are too many to enumerate and for which we are grateful.

And we do have some motorheads here that should help you in choosing.

Thanks for posting Matt.
Terry
Attachments:

Going down from 70 to 50 HP? 2 months 3 weeks ago #148621

Great looking boat! Mine isn’t so pretty, I’m afraid, but we have done a few things, like redo the upholstery, replace all the wood bits in the seats, have the aluminum stuff polished, strip and re-resin the sole and repaint the interior. I don’t have any interior storage space, as my barn is used as my shop and storage, so things suffer in our Uber-hot summers, and big Winter rains. I intend to only go so far in restoration work, since my property demands much of my available time. I also discovered a front crankshaft seal leak on my little Kubota toaday, so there goes another chunk of time!

We’re you aware that dad got a patent on the Citation? First boat to ever have that distinction, I believe. I have to admit that my personal favorite in the power powerboat lineup is the Seafair Sedan, or maybe the cabin version of the Mariner, but they are pretty pricey these days.

Going down from 70 to 50 HP? 2 months 3 weeks ago #148624

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
Assuming this is a used Nissan 2-stroke, since Nissan has quit selling outboards and only Tohatsu has new sales of 4-strokes in the U.S. No more new 2-stroke Nissans or Tohatsus, unless they're Old Stock.

From what info I could find, a 2-stroke 50hp 3-cylinder Niissan would run just under 200 lb. So not a heck of a lot heavier than the old Merc 700. Which was a pretty darn good running engine in its day! Back in the 80's I had a 700E short shaft running on a 13.5' Sea King runabout. It was a great combination, ran about 35mph and would just rip a slalom skier out of the water! Very economical, too. That outboard cost me a whole $35 as I recall!

The 700E was rated at the crankshaft, horsepower-wise. The Nissan is rated at the prop. Think about 10 to 15% loss from crankshaft horsepower, due to frictional losses and pump. So the Nissan will actually "feel" like a 55.6 hp to 58.8 hp. Which means you're only down about 11.2 to 14.4 hp from the 700E. With the right prop, your Citation should plane out well (especially with power trim/tilt). Plus once it's up on plane, you can trim it up for a bit more speed.

So it should certainly get you down the lake at a nice cruising speed, long as you've got the boat lightly loaded. Full of passengers and gear, you might find it a bit lacking.

Also consider the newer lower unit and prop should have a newer more hydrodynamic design, and that'll help.

Now, a 2-stroke 60hp whatever would probably get you really close to the performance of the old Dockbuster. But that's a different tune altogether!

Maybe you know someone with a similar Nissan on their boat? That'd be a pretty good way to figure out how they perform.

Otherwise, you're just payin' your money, and findin' out!

HTH & Good Luck..............ed

Going down from 70 to 50 HP? 2 months 3 weeks ago #148625

Matt,

The FG library here has good information on Glasspar and includes a few of the patents.

The G3 which was new for 59 is the earliest listed.

The Seafairs and G3’s seem to be everyone’s favorite but we are in the same boat with the Mariner.

Friends have restored this 60 Club Mariner and I posted pictures of it and other Glasspars at Tavares FL years back.

www.fiberglassics.com/forum/main-forum/92458-acbs-2014-sunnyland-boat-festival-glasspar-winners.html#92458

Another pretty Citation was shown there too.

Terry
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)