TOPIC: 1957 Crosby Capri

1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 8 months ago #41096

• bseguin
  • bseguin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all,

I'm looking for a couple things for my '57 Crosby and was hoping somone might be able to point me in the right direction. I'm looking for the step pads (4). They don't have to be original although that would be fantastic. Reproductions or just something that works would be fine. I'm also looking for the window moulding at the base.
Thanks for any help.

Brian
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 8 months ago #41112

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Gorgeous Crosby, Brian, welcome aboard. We've got a couple of Crosby experts (one of which goes by "crosbyboats", happens to be named Brian!) who can probably help you out with where to look for exact replacements. Failing that, there are several threads here on "generic" step pads and windshield rubber seals we can direct you to. Let's give the guys a chance to respond first, I don't want to commit a "sacrilege" against a beautiful restoration like yours without presenting that opportunity. ;)

Mark

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 8 months ago #41122

Brian,
I'd also like to extend the welcome aboard and echo Mark's comments, gorgeous boat! I believe Brian(Crosbyboat) was going to be gone until tomorrow sometime so I expect he won't be checking posts until then but I'm sure he'll chime in as soon as he sees this.

Bob

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 8 months ago #41130

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Something about the smell of varnish just trumps resin. Great looking woodie. Your efforts are appreciated.
Attachments:

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 8 months ago #41155

• bseguin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks gentleman, for the welcome and the quick response. Here's the story on my boat: My dad, who's now 70, bought it when he was 15 with money he earned delivering papers in '57. I grew up on that boat cruising lakes and rivers in Illinois and Wisonsin. It sat in a garage with a cover from '84 to 2000 until it came into my hands about 5 years ago. She now resides in Bend, Oregon, where my own kids now enjoy it on the many lakes in the area. It's all orginal except the windshield and the motor (and a fresh coat of interior paint color matched to the original). I have never touched the wood as far as restoration.
I'll wait for the experts to point the way on my needs.
Thanks again.

Brian

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 8 months ago #41159

Brian,
Great story and background on the boat. Sounds a lot like mine, in my avatar, 1960 Wagemaker Clipper. I would say if there isn't any cracking or peeling of the Varnish, maybe a sanding on the surface and another coat or two of fresh varnish, for UV protection, and you should be fine, unless you've already done that. I had a hard time finding new step pads so I just scrubbed mine up and put them back on, small cracks and all. Someone should jump in with info soon. It may be a day or two but be patient.

Bob

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 8 months ago #41166

• bseguin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks Bob,

I wish I could refurbish my old step pads. Unfortunately, I remember them cracking apart one by one when I about 12. They saw a lot of abuse. If I remember, they were white with fine white grooves. I know it's a 6-hole pattern; the holes are still there. The moulding just recently fell apart, too. Would love to find some.

Brian

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 8 months ago #41243

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hi Brian,
Beautiful boat! And a great story to go with it. I have been looking for original step pads for my Crosby for some time now and have been only mildly successful. I have rarely seen more than 2 at a time on e-bay but I did get 4 matching step pads that may help you. The problem is that they are probably smaller than your original hole pattern. They measure 8" x 2" but they are in as new condition. I would cut out a piece of cardboard 8" x 2" and see how it looks on your boat. If it were me I would check out e-bay first but I will hold on to the 4 that I have until you tell me otherwise. Good luck.
Shipster
Attachments:

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 8 months ago #41244

• MarkS
Good of you to throw those out there, Shipster. Here's another thread on the subject you may find useful Brian;
www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/2-main-forum/35505-white-step-pads.html#35701

Mark

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 8 months ago #41313

• bseguin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for the offer and consideration. I think I'm going to keep looking for something more similar to what was there. You're right. The 2" width is a bit small for the space. Judging by the holes, the step pads that were once there were more like 3 1/2" x 9 1/2".
Brian

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 8 months ago #41323

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Brian, smart choice. Hang out on e-bay or CL but you're going to have to be patient. Might take 6 mos. or a year to find the right ones. Again, good luck.

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 8 months ago #41497

Brian - Welcome. Great Crosby. You can get the windshield gasket from WEFCO Rubber in Canoga Park, CA. I may have a new piece left over, but doubt it's long enough. Let me know the length you need. I may have some step pad surrounds in the shop for Crosby's. I'll check later today. The Capri is one of my all time favorites. I've owned two over the years. Also did a Seaquin, and working on a big ole Ranger. My Holy Grail is to find a Baycomber.

Brian Lawson aka crosbyboat

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 7 months ago #41577

• bseguin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks Brian,
I measured for the window gasket today. About 84 inches would probably do it. If you don't have it, do you happen to know the WEFCO name/number of the profile shape that fits the windshield? And while I'm at it, I might as well ask if you know the profile shape for the rub rail. I'm due for some.
I'll wait to hear back from you on the surrounds for the step pads. The Perko plates I saw at Fisheries Supply looked like they could work. I know the orginals were white; they have some black ones that would suffice.

Brian

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 7 months ago #41614

Can you show a shot of your rubrail. I had the die made for the Crosby and Hydrodyne line about 10 years ago. WEFCO has that now and it is die # 187-1 (I think that's right). But I'm not sure Crosby used that on the wood tops. 187-1 Covers the entire side of the gunnel, so from deck to under the rail, and then there's an insert that goes in a channel. Here's my 58 Capri you can see the rail on. I'll check the windshield gasket right now and go look for pad surrounds and post again in a few minutes.
Attachments:

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 7 months ago #41615

Ok Brian:

1) I am way shy on the windshield gasket. I have like 3' remaining, and may as well throw that away. When you call WEFCO, ask for Peter. He's the sales guy I've always dealt with. The windshield gasket is easy to find, and they'll fax or email you a cross section to look at. You can see it on the photo I posted earlier to show the rub rail. All that came from WEFCO except the red rail insert which I re-used from the 58.

2) I have 4 Crosby step pad surrounds. 2 are in decent shape, and 2 are pretty pitted. I also have two white rubber pads NOT in good shape. They are checked and dry rotted. And I also have 2 blacks pads that are in fine shape.

If you can use them they're yours.

Brian

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 7 months ago #41622

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hi Brian(s),
My Fish'n'Ski has only 3 step pads on her. Two smaller ones (8-3/4") up by the bench seat and 1 single larger one (11-1/4") in the rear. Any rationale as to why there isn't a 4th? My boat has the original gel coat with no evidence of patched holes where the 4th step pad may have been.
Shipley

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 7 months ago #41671

• bseguin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for checking on the step surrounds. If you get a chance, can you shoot me some pics of all 4? I need to make a decision whether I want to keep it as original as possible (and maybe buy yours and have them rechromed) or find something on ebay that works.
Here is a pic of the rubrail. Seems to be the same size as yours (about 2 1/4" from top to bottom). It looks to be in better shape than it is. Last year I sanded, spray painted, then put a clear coat over it to get some more life out it.
Brian
Attachments:

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 7 months ago #41767

The 4 pad surrounds I have look identical to shipsters, and the part number is identical EXCEPT FOR THE LAST DIGIT. Mine end in 7, shipsters in 9. My surrounds measure 3" wide and 8.75" long on the long side. Will try to post a photo with my wife's Kodak digital, always a challenge. If you want them they're yours, no charge. I suggest rechroming them though. Two really need it, and two should have it so they all match. These came off a Crosby Seaquin and my Crosby Ranger. The Ranger is being redone, but as a work boat. No need to retain originality on that project. I just want big, open, and sea worthy.

And the rail does look right; die # 187-1.

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 7 months ago #42116

• bseguin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Brian,

I ordered the gasket for my windshield today from WEFCO (profile 29G-1). It's only $32 for 8 feet! Sweet! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. What did you use for adhesive on the bottom part of the gasket?

Also, I checked around town to see if it would be worth re-chroming those step surrounds if I were to take them off your hands. There isn't even a chroming place here in Bend. So, I guess I'll keep looking on Ebay or pick up the ones that Perko offers.

Next summer I will address my rub rail and will probably post some installation questions for you.
Thanks for the help

Brian

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 7 months ago #42144

No adhesive. Pressure fit only. Anything that leaks under the gasket.....you've got bigger problems. The step pads aren't going anywhere soon. If you need them let me know.

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 7 months ago #43596

Hello all. I live in sw michigan and just found a barn find of what I believe to be a crosby capri I plan to restore her and pull with my vw bus 1968. However there are alot of hair line cracks and I am looking for the best way to repair. I have done gel coating before but thought this would be a great forum to ask how to tackle the whole boat.

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 5 months ago #48390

Not to many responding on here. But will give it a shot. I am trying to find out if I need to have a long or short motor on my Capri and the horsies that I can do. Any idea of the original motor for these.Thanks

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 5 months ago #48394

• bseguin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Brian Lawson (Crosbyboat) will have the answers to all your Crosby questions when he reads your post. I will tell you that my '57 Capri came with a '35 Evinrude Lark. I have a 40 now. Seems like it could easily go more. Not sure on the long or short shaft. Seems like it'd be long to me.
Good luck.

Brian

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 5 months ago #48395

• bseguin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Brian Lawson (Crosbyboat) will have the answers to all your Crosby questions when he reads your post. I will tell you that my '57 Capri came with a '35 Evinrude Lark. I have a 40 now. Seems like it could easily go more. Not sure on the long or short shaft. Seems like it'd be long to me.
Good luck.

Brian

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 5 months ago #48403

• MarkS
Welcome mohrtj, it's generally best to start your own thread with questions such as yours. Please feel welcome to do so and post pics of the cracks you're describing, it will help the folks who know about this sort of thing assist you. (Sorry for the lack of response, it may be because your question is buried in a different thread?) As Brian Seguin stated, Brian Lawson has a great knowledge of these boats, I'm sure he'd be glad to help when he drops in.

In the meantime, here's a pic Scott (Chinewalker) did to help explain how to measure for correct motor length;
Attachments:

Mark

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 5 months ago #48417

I have a Crosby Capri and have been dealing with all similar issues ...as the guys suggest start your own thread and Ill see if I can find pics for you and give you my 3 cents

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 5 months ago #48579

Re:1957 Crosby step pads 12 years 5 months ago #49167

I don't remember if you found all the pads & frames you were looking for. :unsure: Found these today:

Just 3, but..

Crosby steps

Good luck...........
Attachments:

Re:1957 Crosby step pads 12 years 5 months ago #49172

• bseguin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Yes, I saw those over the weekend. They're on my watch list, although I'm not sure what I'm going to do with 3. If I bid on them (most likely against a FB member), it'd just be for the rubber pads. They're rare. Those are the original plastic surrounds that break pretty easily. Does anyone know of anyone who could take one of those pads and reproduce it? Then we could bunch made for the Crosby crew here on the site. Or, does anyone know how hard it is to make a mould of it at home...like the ingredients of both the mould and the rubber for the pad? Do you need a chemistry degree and lab?

Brian

Re:1957 Crosby step pads 12 years 5 months ago #49177

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The mould is easy- If you've got one in good shape... bit of research would have to go in to what the proper rubber to use in casting, though. It would not be all that difficult to do, really.

Re:1957 Crosby step pads 12 years 5 months ago #49193

• bseguin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Do you think making white rubber would double the complexity versus black?

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 5 months ago #49211

• MarkS
I don't think doing them in white would increase the difficulty, Brian. One of the gang on CGOA "re-cast" some of the Glastron "football" logos for his boat, and used white to do it. He made a mold out of a good one, and poured into it with whatever it was he used. I'll have to see if I can find the post and pass along the details....... ;)

Update: Found the thread, he used white "plastic". Not sure if this would work for step pads, but here's the info;
www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4955&p=30495&hilit=emblems#p30291

Mark

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 5 months ago #49213

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
It would depend on the material used- I know that some of the casting rubbers are tintable, and white is one of the tints. I'm not sure which type & hardness of rubber is most suitable for this, I haven't researched it that much yet. I looked in to it a bit because I've got a lot of chrome step frames, but the pads are bad in all of them... The frames seem to be very easy to come by, the pads, not so much...

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 5 months ago #49220

• bseguin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Yep, lots of surrounds showing up on Ebay, although strangely it's usually two, not four. I haven't seen Crosby pads in primo condition like this, just half disintegrated ones.

Mark, thanks for investigating for me.

Brian

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 5 months ago #49221

• bseguin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Yep, lots of surrounds showing up on Ebay, although strangely it's usually two, not four. I haven't seen Crosby pads in primo condition like this, just half disintegrated ones.

Mark, thanks for investigating for me.

Brian

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 5 months ago #49230

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I've looked in to castable urethanes, I think that might be the way to go. The plastic on the Glasstron page would probably look fine, but wouldn't be functional... Urethanes are available in various harnesses- I'm thinking that something like a 70 Durometer (about that of car tread) is close to where you'd want to be.

The only issue that I see is the UV stability- If the pads would last in the sunlight. Something I need to research.

I planned on making some pads this winter for my boat. Of course, I wasn't going to make CROSBY pads, since I dont have a crosby, But I could probably do so without too much additional difficulty, IF there was enough demand and IF I had a good old one to work from...

-Andrew

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 5 months ago #49320

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I've found a supplier that has a material that should work- It will allow casting in whatever color you'd want (including white), would be UV resistant, and should provide some decent traction. They are going to send me a small sample of the material to evaluate. I plan to make pads for my frames, for my Lake N Sea and glasspar. If there is enough demand, I could probably do some Crosby ones as well :)

-Andrew

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 5 months ago #49347

• bseguin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for the consideration Andrew. The auction ended on those Crosby pads; I didn't win them. Someboody had a set price higher than what I bid with a few seconds left. Hopefully it was a FB member who will read this post, respond, and send you one of the pads to reproduce so the rest of us can order some up. I know I'd try to getat least 2 sets of 4. Hopefully it was Madprops who sniped 'em from me. Whoever it was will need one extra because there were only three.
Funny story from the guy who was selling them. His granddaughter backed her car into the bow of his '58 Crosby and crushed it beyond his knowledge of repair. So, he's parting out what's not ruined.

Brian

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 5 months ago #49352

not me

but I can make a mold from mine if it not going to destroy them they are porous rubber if I recall

Re:1957 Crosby Capri 12 years 5 months ago #49359

• bseguin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Damn, I was hoping it was you. That would be sweet if you could make a mould. I wouldn't want you to damage your pad though.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.333 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6945 guests and one member online