Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1974 Glastron Carlson CV21

1974 Glastron Carlson CV21 14 years 1 month ago #481

heres my new project 1973 CV21 one rare Glastron and in my honest opinion one of the best looking boats period ! its has a 455 Olds w/Berkley Jet with a place diverter for those huge rooster tails . i still have to restore her, she was originally bronze metal flake with brown interior . this one will be brought back to as close as original as possible . Gil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1973 Glastron Carlson CV21 14 years 1 month ago #482

• Heather
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Oh, to SWEET! :ohmy:

Mrs Spookeay Bird

Re:1973 Glastron Carlson CV21 14 years 1 month ago #501

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
VERY nice! That thing looks fast even when it's sitting still. And the roar from that big block Olds will definitely match her good looks.

Mark

Re:1973 Glastron Carlson CV21 14 years 1 month ago #904

Thank goodness! Another rocket. Welcome back to the golden age of boating performance and design. You could even afford to "fill 'er up". Happy Motoring!

Re:1973 Glastron Carlson CV21 14 years 3 weeks ago #1527

well day one , didnt do too much , tore out the rear bench and fuel tank (was empty and shot ) this thing sat out for a long time, it was the rodent ritz for a long time . got the carb off before it crumbled apart and got some tape on the hole. it has a Edlebrock torqer manifold on it , so im sure the motor has had some work done . anyone need a slightly crumbly Edlebrock carb lol . i got a bunch of pre destruction pics of the interior and engine bay . i need to get the engine and pump out first so i can get at the stringers and floor . the floor is solid except for the passenger seat mount area (rotten ) so its all coming out along with the ski locker and foot panels . the rear seat came out in pieces but i have enough of it to make templates for a new bench . i wished i had a bigger garage to work on it , im thinking of one of those vinyl temp garages just so i dont have to keep peeling the blue tarps on and off (pain in the butt on a windy day ) .Gil

notice the garden hose vent line lol

Re:1973 Glastron Carlson CV21 14 years 1 week ago #2233

here are a few pictures of the fleet lol . it was warm enough to uncover them and let some warm dry air at them .im gonna spend a little time today taking trim off the 21 , this one is going to be a lot more work than the GT160 even though im not done with the GT lol . Gil

Re:1973 Glastron Carlson CV21 14 years 1 week ago #2342

i got a few things done this week end . the first was getting the windshield off and safe in my basement .
i started cleaning it up , to be safe about cleaning it i started bass-ackward . i tried 1500 wet dry it didnt touch the etching from the weather and i went down from there to 800 wet dry . so after cutting the haze and etching with 800 i'll go up to 2000 wet dry then to rubbing compound to finish polish . i hope it works .

as soon as the weather improves i'll start mucking it out . i ran a drill bit into the stringers just forward of the motor , while it wasnt black mush, they were tan blond and wet so its all coming out ( i wont trust them to hold a 700 lb big block ) .
i dont want to get too far ahead of myself but all the Doh's and i should of done it that way that i did on the GT160 wont be repeated on this one lol . i hope lol Gil

Re:1973 Glastron Carlson CV21 14 years 1 week ago #2440

gil,

I think I remember you from the carlsonspeed website about your gt resto. Good luck on this CV21, I hope it turns out great. If I can ever help let me know, I just finished my 4 year resto on my '74 CV21 and look forward to seeig this come back to life again!!!

Re:1973 Glastron Carlson CV21 14 years 1 week ago #2441

And in case you havent seen mine here's the link to my restoration if youre ever bored.

Re:1973 Glastron Carlson CV21 14 years 1 week ago #2443

Oh, and I just finished a complete teardown and rebuild on the 455, everything repainted and replaced. Mine has a 1970 H.O. motor that I had a custom cam cut for. Just ran 483hp on the dyno. Cant wait for Summertime!!

Re:1973 Glastron Carlson CV21 14 years 1 week ago #2444

Oh, and my payoff last summer was getting The New Girl out on The OLD girl :)

Re:1973 Glastron Carlson CV21 14 years 1 week ago #2446

• MarkS
Awesome job Brad, on the boat, the video, the motor, and the new girl! ;) Been a while since I've heard that Buffet song, brought back some good memories! Thanks for sharing.

Mark

Re:1973 Glastron Carlson CV21 14 years 1 week ago #2497

Brad , you are just the person I've wanting to get in touch with . excellent job on the CV21 !! I've been looking at your youtube video a lot lately lol starting and stopping to get looks at what i need to do to get mine back to stock. you can follow my resto over at Classic Glastron . i have barely scratched the surface as i have to do this one outside but its pretty much the same , new stringers new floors, interior , new bronze metal flake paint and engine . its gonna be a blast when its done !! any videos of your new CV21 in action ? Gil

Re:1973 Glastron Carlson CV21 14 years 1 week ago #2503

Looking good Gil! Can't wait til you tear into her. Mostly cuz it won't be me doing the work ... Heh heh.

You do realize now, thanks to Brad, yer gonna need a 500HP motor ...?

Carry on!
Attachments:

Re:1973 Glastron Carlson CV21 14 years 6 days ago #2530

Thanks Doug, ya know you're more than welcome to escape frozen Florida and come on up to New England to spend a few rainy 40 degree days ripping out the guts on her any help is appreciated heh heh heh .
500 HP ? that has the sound of a enormous wallet sucking vacuum cleaner . lol . Gil

Re:1973 Glastron Carlson CV21 14 years 5 days ago #2605

'Preciate the offer Gil but have to pass. Warming up down here & business is finally picking up a bit. Gotta make hay when the snowbirds shine they say. Cuz God knows what this summer'l be like?

Hey when you get into the motor I'll hook ya up with my buddy JR. He recently robbed some poor bastard up in Tampa out of a Mondello motor & a ton of parts.

Take care.
Attachments:

Re:1973 Glastron Carlson CV21 14 years 2 days ago #2730

Gil, no videos of the boat yet, the motor is still on the shop floor but should be back in soon. I pulled it in November and put the boat into storage so with things warming up it should be back soon and Ill be shooting a lot of vid's. In my opinion the CV21 and the Donzi 22 are the best looking boats ever made. If you need anything as far as measurements etc. let me know. It was a long and expensive process but well worth it.

And youre right about the 500hp wallet vaccum cleaner. Last summer before the upgrades to the motor, 30-45 minutes on the lake cost about $40-50 bucks in gas. I dont even want to think about this summer. I already had to put in an additional 18 gal. gas tank in the ski locker so I could actually go places without running out of fuel. Here's a vid of the engine idling, there is just nothing like that big block sound!!!

Re:1973 Glastron Carlson CV21 14 years 2 days ago #2731

And yeah, I got a nice "Steam Bath" on a 40 degree day shooting that video :laugh:

Re:1973 Glastron Carlson CV21 14 years 1 day ago #2825

here is a during and after of the windshield . it came out ok good enough for now . now i have to cut the rear windows out of the wraparound pieces . Gil

Re:1973 Glastron Carlson CV21 14 years 1 day ago #2849

Looks great Gil! Wanna come down and do mine? Oh wait a minute nevermind, just remembered I don't have one ...
Attachments:

Re:1973 Glastron Carlson CV21 14 years 23 hours ago #2861

Looks fantastic Gil!

I've wetsanded & polished a couple of them, and they're never perfect but from a distance they look great. Compared to the cost of a new one its well worth the work. Congrats.

Is that the original winshield and frame, and only the full side windows were adders later? I know most of the pics I've seen show a front window and two smll sections of rear glass. If that's the original front screen you're so lucky!

Keep the pics coming. I'm following along on all sites, with anticipation.

Here comes the sun!

Re:1973 Glastron Carlson CV21 14 years 5 hours ago #2909

thanks Chris and Doug , its a replacement with the side windows being the same material . they did get the color right though it will go good with the bronze metal-flake. i still have to find a windshield place that bends extrusions to make a new top trim piece .

Doug i know that you polished your windshield clean off your V153 , its so clear it offers no wind resistance lol .

Chris , what you got up your sleeve ? i know you must have some kind of Glastron in the works , after you sold the GT160 i knew you wouldn't want to sit on the side . heh heh heh . Gil

Re:1973 Glastron Carlson CV21 13 years 11 months ago #3111

bparsel wrote:

In my opinion the CV21 and the Donzi 22 are the best looking boats ever made.

Very nice Glastrons!
I have to agree with you on the Donzi 22!!! I have a 1993 Donzi 22 Classic with a 502 BBC. I also have a 1974 16'Tahiti that I have owned from 1975...People have always thought the Tahiti was a Glastron! I'm thinking of converting the Tahiti from outboard to jet in a future project.
Attachments:

Re:1973 Glastron Carlson CV21 8 years 7 months ago #113380

I figured i wake up this old thread . After a few years im at the fun part , wet sanding and buffing the new metal flake gel-coat .
Got the bow done , it goes pretty quick just a couple of hours .

Some background here is my resto thread over at Classic Glastron .
www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2209

Re:1973 Glastron Carlson CV21 8 years 5 months ago #115720

Almost done buffing it out , another hour or so and i will be ready to start putting it back together . Gel-coat is a ton of work , if this were a paint job I'd be done years ago lol .

Re:1974 Glastron Carlson CV21 8 years 5 months ago #115749

• MarkS
Looks fantastic Gil!

Mark

Re:1974 Glastron Carlson CV21 8 years 3 months ago #117824

Got a few more things done today . I'm pretty sure it will float now lol .

Re:1974 Glastron Carlson CV21 8 years 2 months ago #118837

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Hey Gil,
I just tumbled to the fact you live in NH! Can't be far from me. We should go for a glassic cruise day once weather gets better. The boat gel looks unbelievable!!!! Great work!!!! Wow is all I can say. As you know I do all my work too so I really appreciate the effort and diligence you have spent so far. The fun part is nearing!
Randy

Re:1974 Glastron Carlson CV21 8 years 2 months ago #118853

Thanks Randy , I'm about 20 minutes south of the NH line in Mass near Rindge . Once i get her done getting together for a New England Cruise would be awesome . Gil

Re:1974 Glastron Carlson CV21 8 years 3 weeks ago #119938

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hi Gil,
Need to talk with you ASAP on a 21 I'm gonna look at.
I sent you a PM with my phone number.
Can you give me a ring?
Thanks,
Randy

Re:1974 Glastron Carlson CV21 8 years 3 weeks ago #119962

Sure no problem just as soon as i can find where the pm's are hidden .

Re:1974 Glastron Carlson CV21 8 years 3 weeks ago #119964

Gil, check your E-mail.

Re:1974 Glastron Carlson CV21 8 years 3 weeks ago #119971

Thank you Gene

Re:1974 Glastron Carlson CV21 7 years 5 months ago #127768

Its startin to look like CV21 , just have to polish the top rail and install .

Re:1974 Glastron Carlson CV21 7 years 4 months ago #128735

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Gil that is just crazy pretty! Thanks for the help on the GT 160 decals. Maybe summer 2017 is when we can do a Glastron cruise, my 160 will be all set by the spring and it looks like you are on track.
Randy

Re:1974 Glastron Carlson CV21 7 years 3 weeks ago #130425

The dash has new burlwood vinyl, i mounted the dash and gauges and the steering wheel and rack & cable are going in next .

Re:1974 Glastron Carlson CV21 7 years 3 weeks ago #130434

Wow! Great work

Re:1974 Glastron Carlson CV21 7 years 3 weeks ago #130497

A couple more with the restored wheel and NOS rack and cable

Re:1974 Glastron Carlson CV21 7 years 3 weeks ago #130510

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Go Gil....Go Gil....Go Gil...! Glad I live close enough to see this when done!
Randy
P.S. Got decals for the 160 they look perfect, thanks for the original effort with the shop and steering me where to go.

Re:1974 Glastron Carlson CV21 7 years 3 weeks ago #130514

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
There's going to be a ton of NEW boat owners who dropped big $$$ on their chick boats who look at that and kick themselves in the azz and ask themselves with tears in their eyes why you get all the attention.

Time to create page: 0.386 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)

noimage
03-17-2024

Thunderbird Apache 1956 hardtop
( / Boats)

noimage