Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1968 starcraft. What am i getting myself into?

1968 starcraft. What am i getting myself into? 9 years 10 months ago #95181

• keckr
  • keckr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys, newbie here from Northern Michigan area. I have been browsing this site for a while now and I must say that everyone here seems to be very friendly and helpful. Looking forward to being a member and hearing everyone's input and or suggestions!

I picked up this boat and trailer for a cool $300. I absolutely love the look of these small boats from this era. I am new to boat repair and restoration. Chrysler Auto mechanic by trade/profession. Needless to say I am seeking help on this project from start to finish basically. I need some help identifying it further. I was told its a 1968 15" runabout. and how can I figure out the specifics of this Johnson out back?

My main concern at this time is determining just how much of a project I am in for. WHERE DO I START? Floor feels really solid. Transom looks solid etc. 99 percent of chrome and moldings appear to be there. Now for some pictures. Feel free to chime in!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1968 starcraft. What am i getting myself into? 9 years 10 months ago #95191

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
keckr what are you getting into? welcome to the wonderful world of glassics boats, you have got the bug now and this site is the best. welcome aboard. frog

Re:1968 starcraft. What am i getting myself into? 9 years 10 months ago #95204

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard keckr, glad to have you join us. Here's a link you might find helpful with posting pics;
www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/home/support/how-to-post-pictures

Mark

Re:1968 starcraft. What am i getting myself into? 9 years 10 months ago #95209

Aluminum or fiberglass 1968 Starcraft?

You can look thru the library & find some info that helps ID which 1968 & confirm it IS a 1968.

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Starcraft

Re:1968 starcraft. What am i getting myself into? 9 years 10 months ago #95229

Welcome aboard the crazy world of glassic boat addiction!
A starcraft is a great start!

1967 Crownline-for the river
1960 Whitehouse-for the lake
1963 Starcraft-for fishing

Re:1968 starcraft. What am i getting myself into? 9 years 10 months ago #95376

• keckr
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the quick replies guys! actually didn't mean to post yet because I couldn't figure out how to resize these darn pictures! Thank you MarkS for the info.

I will warn you guys, when I say that I am a newbie, I mean it. I may ask some dumb questions here an there.

Here is what I have. This is the day that I dragged her from the back corner of a old trailer park.

I bought it from a guy that told me the lower unit had failed. In which way shape or form I do not know. All I know is that he handed me a bucket with a few parts in it. He said that he attempted to fix it himself, took it apart and decided that it was something he could not handle. The only part that I recognized in this bucket was a shift solenoid. He said that there was also a bearing that had failed. Is this something that a newbie like me can fumble through if I had a decent service manual? Where do I actually begin to determine what has failed and what is missing from this lower unit. Motor itself does start and run, however I made no attempt at putting into gear, I was afraid of doing further damage.

I have no idea why this is sideways, but you get the picture.

I have the windshield, its cracked and destroyed. The frame is in decent shape so I think I will be able locate another, make one or what have you.
Attachments:

Re:1968 starcraft. What am i getting myself into? 9 years 10 months ago #95378

• keckr
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I am not looking to restore this thing to showroom condition by no means. What I want is a decent looking and good running boat. My biggest worries first and foremost is determining the extent of damage to hull, transom and the cracks and holes everywhere. Guy had lots of homemade rod holders in this thing.

Where would I begin to start here? seems to be structurally solid. (to the naked eye anyway) but someone had made some poor attempts at repair. I want to make this look better.

Been beached a time or two in her day. This appears to be the worst damage on the hull. It has lots of cracks on the gelcoat everywhere to. But this worries me. Can or should I even put it in the water with this?

Lots and lots of these cracks.
Attachments:

Re:1968 starcraft. What am i getting myself into? 9 years 10 months ago #95390

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I'd say you definitely have a "doable" project there kecker, she just needs a little love! Don't be afraid of asking questions, we all started somewhere and the best way to learn is to ask. A couple thoughts on your project come to mind;

The OMC (Johnson, Evinrude) lower units are not that complicated, buy yourself a good shop manual and start a post in the JEGO section for troubleshooting the issue(s). If it is the Electric shift model, they are often mis-diagnosed due to pinched electrical wires, improper lube (need type C oil!), etc. We still have a couple folks here familiar with the unit, see what can be done with what you've got.

The "crazing" and small stress cracks are to be expected in gel coat of this age, not a deal breaker by any means. The half baked repair in the keep up in the bow is also repairable, a little sanding and proper reinforcement would be in order. There are some excellent articles in the Research/Restoration section of this site that you should find helpful;
www.fiberglassics.com/restoration/

The numerous holes and previous repairs to the top of the transom would be my first area of concern, you'll want to do a close inspection to make sure you have a solid structure there before proceeding with any other repairs. (If the holes and repairs aren't sealed properly, water intrusion allows rot and other issues that spell trouble.) Replacing the transom if necessary is something that can be done in a couple weekends, the gang can help walk you through it if needed.

The biggest and bestus advice I can offer is take it one step at a time. Don't get overwhelmed and let it get you down, it's all worth it in the end! ;)

Mark

Re:1968 starcraft. What am i getting myself into? 9 years 8 months ago #98413

My Starcraft is a 68 as well.
http://www.fiberglassics.com/fiberglassics-forums/home/member-projects/1968-starcraft-daytona-tr-17
You are in for a lot of fun work, but it pays in the end!
Likely the engine is a 68' as well.

Re:1968 starcraft. What am i getting myself into? 9 years 8 months ago #98419

keckr,

WELCOME ABOARD. - LOOKS like a good/year's project to me.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6441 guests and one member online