Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: lake n sea project for a newbe

lake n sea project for a newbe 7 years 5 months ago #127530

test

can someone show or provide info on how to add pictures. i got a message that my picture was too big?
thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:lake n sea project for a newbe 7 years 5 months ago #127531

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I use the free program Pixlr to rotate and resize my pictures. Follow the direction on the program, save the edited picture, and then upload to this site. It's an extra step, but works well and goes quickly once you get the hang of it.

Also, I take my pictures with an iphone. I email them to my laptop and I always select "medium" when it prompts me to pick a size when I send. That way I never have to resize them. But the do always appear sideways if I use the raw file for this site.

Re:lake n sea project for a newbe 7 years 5 months ago #127536

thanks i will try that out

Re:lake n sea project for a newbe 7 years 5 months ago #127537

the boat test picture

ok finally got a picture to post lol now lets see if i can repeat that process

thanks to both of you for the help
Attachments:

Re:lake n sea project for a newbe 7 years 5 months ago #127538

if i can ask a little more help after i think i have resized the pic using that program i click below the choose file and the picture info is loaded in the box how do i do the actual up load ? do i click the box that says img?? all that does is put in the message but i do not see the picture of the boat when i click preview.

thanks
sorry to bother you i could not find instructions on the site

Re:lake n sea project for a newbe 7 years 5 months ago #127539

Joe,
Welcome aboard. Here is the link on how to post pics.
www.fiberglassics.com/fiberglassics-forums/home/support/how-to-post-pictures .

I use the Paint program in Windows to resize my pics. I click on resize and use Pixels, setting the largest size to 1000 and then saving the pic. Use that one to post and you'll be fine.

Bob

Re:lake n sea project for a newbe 7 years 5 months ago #127556

a few more pics i started a blog on a site called bateau2 because i bought some materials from a related site then i stumbled onto this site. i think you guys are a little more friendly to rebuilding they seem to be into build from scratch, and not thinking mine was worth the trouble to fix up. anyway i have been getting good advice there, i'm sure you guys have lots of experience too.

So i will also post here seems more related to the boat i have started on, and i really like seeing these old style boats that need work :)

i'm new to boats all together only been on a small boat a few times lol , but i'm looking to have some fun doing this
cutting into because i could tell it had water inside
got what was left of the stringers out, water logged and rotten for sure
cutting in new stringers ( ok it's not going to be perfect)
Attachments:

Re:lake n sea project for a newbe 7 years 5 months ago #127558

Hey Joe, welcome to the forum! I've got a '60 Lake & Sea waiting in the woods for me to finish my other two boats. I would really advise against replacing just the ends of those stringers, splicing onto the old. Usually we find lots more rot when the whole floor is up. Normally on a Lake & Sea, we separate the top hull from the bottom to get full access. It may almost fall apart there anyway, as that was a problem with those boats, even when only a couple years old. Earning the nickname "Leak & Sink". If you check the archives here, you'll find some similar rebuilds to help you out.
Good luck, and don't give up! ;)

Re:lake n sea project for a newbe 7 years 5 months ago #127564

thanks for the hello,

I really have enjoyed looking at all the unique boats and the effort folks have put into them. I'm not aiming for perfection on this first one, just experience.

Just to let you know i am replacing the whole length of the stringers but as i have to work outside and have limited tools i only cut the floor out where i could get to it. I did not want to have to cut out the seats and then the whole floor. SO working around and under them, maybe not the best option, but .....

And thats not half the problems with it. anyway it will be a good learning experience and fun, i hope. I like tearing things up a little and putting them back together but I try not to go too crazy.

THe former owner put in a transom but did a half backed job as i have learned from reading and looking at youtube vids. I going to try and reinforce it only.

lots of spider type cracks in the bottom of the hull. I am fiber-glassing over the bottom to help ( i hope it helps)

And he painted it with latex house paint. I have read pro's and con's about doing that. I do like the nice smooth and shinny look myself, so thats going to take some time. lol

Re:lake n sea project for a newbe 7 years 5 months ago #127565

Sorry Joe, I just saw the hole in the back and assumed... But be sure to at least check that hull joint. It may have been redone already but they were known to start coming apart there and letting water in :blink:

Re:lake n sea project for a newbe 7 years 5 months ago #127592

i will check that down the road. thanks, a few good days of sunshine and im trying to get the stringers in. yes it would have been much easier if I took the top off but just got to work around things. gluing them together with the marine epoxy and some screws and making some peanut butter for them also. pictures later

Re:lake n sea project for a newbe 7 years 5 months ago #127628

Hello,

does anyone want to suggest a drain plug for the bulge area after i finish the stringers, I was thinking of adding some foam . and it did have a drain plug but it was placed at the floor level, not at the very bottom of the hull in the back

i am pluging that hole and want to put it at the lowest spot
Attachments:

Re:lake n sea project for a newbe 7 years 5 months ago #127629

question about covering the stringers

does anyone want to suggest how much and or what kind of fiberglass i should cover the stringers with.
thanks
Attachments:

Re:lake n sea project for a newbe 7 years 5 months ago #127745

I did a little more with the stringers it is sloppy but i epoxied together plywood strips then used deck screws to "clap" them together.

Then made my peanut butter and was going to use a cake thing to do the fillets but it burst so i had to apply the mix with my fingers and spoon.

after that i also put a thin strip of fiberglass on top of the fillet.

later I will cover the stringers with fiberglass.

as messy as it looks i seems very strong?

Re:lake n sea project for a newbe 7 years 5 months ago #127746

I did a little more with the stringers it is sloppy but i epoxied together plywood strips then used deck screws to "clap" them together.

Then made my peanut butter and was going to use a cake thing to do the fillets but it burst so i had to apply the mix with my fingers and spoon.

after that i also put a thin strip of fiberglass on top of the fillet.

later I will cover the stringers with fiberglass.

as messy as it looks i seems very strong?

Re:lake n sea project for a newbe 7 years 5 months ago #127764

trying to post a pic
Attachments:

Re:lake n sea project for a newbe 7 years 5 months ago #127867

im continuing to work on covering the stringers and covering the transon conecting it better to the boat.

This my be a crazy question to ask but ... here goes

the situation

I was told to put sealed cell foam in the boat after im finished with the stringers, etc. and before i replace the floor.

the foam looks very expensive, and i am trying to figure out the cubic feet in need.

Has anyone ever used those thin foam tubes the kids have for the pool or beach, they float, don't get water logged, are buoyant, keep people afloat out in the water??????

they only cost 1.00 per tube at the dollar store vs. the big cost of the 2 part foam at the supply stores.

I don't see how it can hurt as this boat has never had foam in it anyway

Re:lake n sea project for a newbe 7 years 5 months ago #127905

ok forget about using the tubes im just going with the expanding closed cell foam in the bugle area

and i found i plug on line to use.

Re:lake n sea project for a newbe 7 years 5 months ago #128081

working on strengthening the transom to the hull

i think it's ready for the foam
Attachments:

Re:lake n sea project for a newbe 7 years 5 months ago #128102

Crazy question.

has anyone used a spray rubber, like flex o seal or something , to cover the inside hull before foaming it and putting the floor back on ?

just give it an extra layer of protection

Re:lake n sea project for a newbe 7 years 5 months ago #128121

Couldn't hurt, I suppose. But I think most, if not all moisture will come from above. My latest theory is that it's probably impossible to keep moisture out of a foamed area. No matter how hard you try, cracks will happen and water will get down there, then it has nowhere to go but into the foam. So my latest floor has sheets of foam cut and laid in, with drainage/ventilation at the bottom. Sure, water can easily get in through the drain holes, but it just as easily gets back out. I think foam has to sit submerged for a long time before it will start to absorb. Just my 2 cents ;)

Re:lake n sea project for a newbe 7 years 5 months ago #128125

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Some of that old bilge water comes from condensation. Say you have your boat on the trailer out in the sun, lots of warm air pounding down on it and heating up that floor. Put it in cold water and condensations begins in the sealed area. Just can't get away from it.

Re:lake n sea project for a newbe 7 years 5 months ago #128126

thanks, agreed i have bought some closed cell foam and am going to try to make something to help water that gets in with the foamed area drain to the stern where i put in a drain hole

Re:lake n sea project for a newbe 7 years 5 months ago #128160

this is sloppy but i'm getting some foam in, and i hope it helps keep it floating. very interesting stuff to work with

ok to finish off the foaming

i'm going to add more to the 3 exposed sections of the floor i cut out. but as soon as i pour it around the remaining low spots, im going to put the floor on top of it right away . than as the foam expands hopefully it will expand sideways, as there are open spaces because the floor will keep it from just rising upwards.

Then for the sections where the seats are and the floor is not open. i will drill holes and pour in some foam then cover the hole and hopefully again it will expand sideways and fill in the open spaces under the floor and seats that i could not get to directly from above.
Attachments:

Re:lake n sea project for a newbe 7 years 4 months ago #128450

ust an update:
I got the foam in. and i sealed the cut parts with epoxy. I did learn a lot on how to use it and i'm sure next time i will have a much better result.

So i'm ready to put the floor back on, I will screw the fiberglass pieces down onto the stringers and fiberglass over the cuts maybe even fill them in with a little wood flower first.

Pictures of the floor pieces, I did remove/sand down the fiberglass pieces that were covering the original stringers

Attachments:

Re:lake n sea project for a newbe 7 years 4 months ago #128458

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Great progress and good learning experience. Sounds like you're already planning on another project. Keep us posted.
Cal

Re:lake n sea project for a newbe 7 years 4 months ago #128506

thanks for looking and your comment.

A little more progress getting the floor back on

Screwed in the floor to the stringers, used woodflour to fill in the cuts then put fiberglass over the wood flower.
For the transom i put in a filet of woodflower and i will add more fiberglass.

I might not get too much more done in my outside workshop depending on the weather.

I would like to start to strip it, the guy painted it with exterior house paint
Attachments:

Re:lake n sea project for a newbe 7 years 2 months ago #129642

• Eric Z
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Is this the L & S from craigs list in Richmond, VA ? $250 w/o the trailer?
If so I almost bought it. The guy (Doug) sent me to the wrong address - his fathers house in Mathews, VA.I got there and no L & S !

Found this picture in my texts from July-
Attachments:

Re:lake n sea project for a newbe 7 years 2 months ago #129646

not sure whats going on but that is what i bought this summer from a craigs list ad. it was in much worse shape then it looks in that pic no engine no trailer.
as you can see from my posts here

maybe you lucked out on all the work and cost that it is taking but i'm learning, it's my first time experience. i'm a newbie boater

Re:lake n sea project for a newbe 6 years 11 months ago #131400

April 2017 and i am starting to work on the boat again, with help from one of my sons we turned it upside down. so i can strip off the exterior house paint on it . SURPRISE, this thing has had some issues over the years WOW! so i'm going to strip it ( used some orange citrus stripper) and add some fiberglass to make sure it doesn't leak lol. I bought fiberglass and some epoxy off craigs list adds and a good price. The epoxy is PPG america something ( you mix equal parts , i like the way it works, It is a black color but I also got a white color too.
now lets see how easy it is to post pics

Re:lake n sea project for a newbe 6 years 11 months ago #131402

Sorry for the messy post i hope my repairs work out better then my posting lol

i have to get the hang of doing this posting and editing
Attachments:

Re:lake n sea project for a newbe 6 years 11 months ago #131459

Great work so far and yeah takes a little getting used to but actually much better than before. You can actually post all your pics at once instead of having to go back in after every pic, then edit, then add , then post etc...

Bob
The following user(s) said Thank You: joecffv@aol.com

lake n sea project for a newbe 6 years 11 months ago #131514

covering the whole bottom with 1708 i got cheep on craigs list filling in the gaps with woodflower peanut butter. I think that will solve any leaking or soft spot problems lol. Now, I am tempted to sand a little, then just paint over everything BUT>>>>>>> i think the 1708 mesh might still show thru the paint? DAM! I guess I will have to do the whole bottom in a slight woodflower paste then sand to get a smooth finish. I am not going for perfection, like a lot of you guys on here, I want to get this in the water. It's hard to believe the former owner took this boat out for an evening Christmas parade of lights in the water and did not sink lol
Attachments:

lake n sea project for a newbe 6 years 11 months ago #131517

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Great progress. Pretty sure you have the leak problems solved. Just goes to show no one has to spend a fortune to do a refurbish job...after my own heart.
Waiting to see more progress.

lake n sea project for a newbe 6 years 10 months ago #131593

ok , I think the bottom is nice and solid, I have put the final coat of silver epoxy on.however, I did not try to get it smoooooooth smooth. especially after all the fiberglass i covered it with. Now I'm planing a fire engine red on the hull and then the top, a rich blue :). We will see how this goes
Attachments:

lake n sea project for a newbe 6 years 10 months ago #131771

ok starting to get the red on it, just the first coat, going to try and get it on as smooth as possible with no dripping, maybe 3 coats. just a heads up im going to paint the top a rich shinny blue and throw in a little white in a few places. I have noticed a lot of the boats seem to have just one color along with white.
Attachments:

lake n sea project for a newbe 6 years 9 months ago #132108

just a quick pic finaly got one of my sons to help get ot fliped back over lots of work still.

Just curious, I would like to paint what is showing as white now, a navy blue. My wife is saying leave that white but maybe blue on the inside ????

Any comments i might try to do Microsoft paint and see what it looks like lol

Attachments:

lake n sea project for a newbe 6 years 9 months ago #132113

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Good progress. You're lucky to have a son to help, just trying to call mine is a chore.
In my opinion,,,you know what they say about opinions, their like sshol...everyone has one....blue topside would not work. I'd stick with white or off white and maybe bring some other color for cushions or accents.

lake n sea project for a newbe 6 years 9 months ago #132197

yes hes a good kid, bit i have helped him a bunch to to say the least.
hate to think my wife might be right lol will go with white top but blue in some raised sections in the bow and blue racing type strip down the middle. I'm going to try the rustoleum marine paints much cheaper. I did see someones post on here using rustoleum and it looked great.
FYI, i bought some of those foam tub floats at the dollar store and tied them together to help with a soft landing if something went wrong flipping it.

lake n sea project for a newbe 6 years 9 months ago #132199

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Some of us on the site have used old tires, old mattresses, old chair cushions, and just about anything available to soften the fall during a flip.
This boat was painted 100% with Rustoleum enamel not even the "marine" stuff. Just the gloss in a can, mixed some different colors together, blue, white, green and let the chips fall where the color landed.
Let it dry and then sand it with 2000 grit sandpaper which you can get at most auto stores and then used a power buffer and Meguires polish.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.369 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)