TOPIC: Into and some updates on FG

Into and some updates on FG 14 years 3 weeks ago #4077

• TheToyBox
  • TheToyBox's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi All,
Now first let me introduce myself and family a bit here. Some of you know me as Spanboatsguy because of my love for the Span Line and my huge collection of them. I (Bob) and my son Brandon Silker had been collecting Span boats for years. Well it was that collection plus others that I had, that inspired going further with a museum of fiberglass boats. One by one or should I say two by two like Noah’s Ark I started collecting them. I tried to collect 2 of each brand I went after. Today we represent 32 different manufactures of boats some of which are not even on the FG listings. Today we have over 75 boats on site as any given time. Thus this brings me the one of the reasons for this post. Below you will find a list of new boat lines that were not listed till yesterday and with Ken Sikora’s help they are now listed on your profile area and they will get Wiki pages this weekend when Ken gets a chance to do so. Reason number two is I spoke with Kelly about putting up a About Me or Bio section on the profiles so you all can tell your story or let other members know what your into or up to for that matter. To quote Kelly “ I want this site to be about boating and everything to do with it. This site is only as strong as its members make it so its my hope that everyone contributes to the site” Well boys with that said its time for all us guys with a wealth of knowledge to step up and share that knowledge with the world of boaters. So I ask all of you, The members of FG, to take some time this weekend and update your profiles with a story or two about yourself or what boat you love the most.
We are working hard on a website for our museum and new exhibits for this years shows. This years focus is bigger, badder, faster with several Fiberglass hotrods of the past. I will keep you posted on our progress. We have done this museum as a family project and all out of our own pocket, we have dedicated the last 2 years to this so be patient we are going as fast as we can. Every boat has a story to tell and we intend to tell it. I have spoken with Kelly and Ken about becoming a Editor to do just that for FG so there is fresh content for your reading pleasure. But what say you? I want to hear what you guys think so sound off.

Below is a link to the website that is being built, most of it is shut off yet while its under-construction but feel free to read what we are about and our mission statement, may it touch your heart, its all about family.

Bob and Brandon Silker
Silker Memorial Marine Museum
www.silkermemorialmarinemuseum.com

Span Boats Inc.
Corsair
Marine Services Inc. (Regatta Race Hulls)
Chrysler Boats
DUO Boats
Bear Cat Boats
Magnolia
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Into and some updates on FG 14 years 3 weeks ago #4083

full steam ahead bob...you're a doer. ron

Re:Into and some updates on FG 14 years 3 weeks ago #4084

Re:Into and some updates on FG 14 years 3 weeks ago #4090

bob,i agree with ron,it sounds like a good idea,i already like what kelly and sandi did so far,its great,im able to post again,much to the chagrin of others,lol,lol,.
i just wonder if some of the folks dont know about the chat room ,its a great place to talk boats,check it out if you havent already,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Into and some updates on FG 14 years 3 weeks ago #4092

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Bob,
I think you have a wonderful idea, and glad to hear you're already working on making a vision become a reality. Being relatively new to the hobby, I constantly seek knowledge on the subject and enjoy viewing other enthusiast's views and interpretations. Sharing our trials and tribulations, the highs and lows of pursing our shared passion, brings us all together in a form of a "virtual family" in my humble opinion. (Much like real-life, it gets rather dysfunctional sometimes, but still family nonetheless.)
Along that line of thought, I filled out the "about me" tab soon after discovering it, and often read other members input to get a better feel for "where they're coming from". I would love to see more of these filled out, I find it most interesting.

To quote Kelly “ I want this site to be about boating and everything to do with it.This site is only as strong as its members make it so its my hope that everyone contributes to the site”

This quote doesn't surprise me a bit, Kelly and the entire staff at FG make everyone feel welcome and "at home" here! Seriously, it's much more than being about info for boats, it's as much about the people who love them.
I wish you and your son much success in your endeavor, sir.

Mark

Re:Into and some updates on FG 14 years 3 weeks ago #4097

• TheToyBox
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Mark
Humor is always good too.
Thanks for the Respect in callin me Sir
But callin me Sir is like havin a phone in a outhouse it just don't belong. he hee Just call me Cowboy
Now the ones that do get called Sir in my Book is any Serviceman protecting this country gets called Sir!
English Royalty gets called Sir
and last is the cop that just pulled you over with a hint of Captian Morgan on your breath, He for sure gets called Sir!
The moral of my humorous coments is Boating is to be fun so lets have some laughs.
Bob
aka The Cowboy

Re:Into and some updates on FG 14 years 3 weeks ago #4113

I agree, the site will be as great as we choose to make it.

Magnolia, Bear Cat, and Span America, and many other sections really need expanding if the literature is out there.

Maybe we should focus and call-out each week for additions to one or a couple manufacturer's pages and really build some momentum.

www.fiberglassics.com/library/Magnolia
www.fiberglassics.com/library/Bearcat
www.fiberglassics.com/library/Span_America

Re:Into and some updates on FG 14 years 3 weeks ago #4115

• TheToyBox
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Andy,
I do have a Magnolia Barracuda here at the museum that has to be restored yet but I have little info on the company, Magnolia made Cat hulls too and a friend of mines brother has one of them too.

As for BearCat we have one of them here its a 1960 with Twin Johnsons that was donated by Rick Connelly of AZ. I wanted to update it with twin Merc 700s but I think I will leave it as it was rigged orginally and save my twin 700s for a PowerCat 18C when we get one. I have a PC that may be getting Donated this year for display so I am kinda holding my breath on that one. ITs a very special boat.

As for the Span America and Span Boats Inc. Lines I have all the brochures and info from 1958 to 1968 to be put up. Plus Being 2 totally different companies 2 seperate stories need to be told. I plan on doing that this month. BUT what I will write is a brief overview of the companies and let the whole story be told by Andreas Rhude because its the most bizzare story of a boat company I have ever heard. As Andreas put it, It should be a Movie because of the chain of events. Andreas will go into great detail from the early days of Glass Craft which started it all and show the evolution into Span America ending up with Span Boats Inc and the fall of that company in 1968 but the story goes on from there with even a more bizzare twist. There is no one better than Andreas to tell this story because of his writing skills and desire for detail. He is a dear friend and a amazing historian. So with that said I won't do anything to undermine the 2+ years of research he put into it. But trust me when its done it will blow your mind.
Bob
aka Cowboy

Re:Into and some updates on FG 14 years 3 weeks ago #4128

• TheToyBox
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Just a update for you guys on new additions to your profiles. I had Ken Add Alumacraft and Avenger Boats. Avenger boats were made in CA as hotrod ski boats and drag boats and even a line of Jet Boats too. Racers used them and still do today. They were made by Bobby Brown at Cee Bee Manifacturing Co. Maybe I can get Danny Leger from Powercat boats to write something about this for you guys. I believe Bobby is his uncle. You can see more about these boats on the Powercat website here is the link.

www.powercatboat.com/Avenger/CeeBee04.html

So if your into them now you can add them to your page. Wiki pages will be added soon. I am workin pooor Ken to death ha ha
Thanks Ken
Bob

Re:Into and some updates on FG 14 years 3 weeks ago #4162

maybe a whoops but I went to that website "link" and I couldn't help but to read..."Rochestor, Minnesota"....I tipped my head (added hole side down) ...shook my mental map of Minnesota a little and ended up Googleing it on "goggle earth" and it came up empty...did someone type-o Rochestor...instead of Rochester... :unsure:

Re:Into and some updates on FG 14 years 3 weeks ago #4166

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Yup, houston, it's a typo. Southeastern MN between La Crosse, WI and the Twin Cities (Minneapolis-St. Paul). ;)

Mark

Re:Into and some updates on FG 14 years 3 weeks ago #4178

• TheToyBox
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks Mark and Houston Byron is also listed because I am in between Rochester and Byron. I will be calling my WEB guy this morning to rip him a new one for that boo boo. I should have caught it before but thanks for the heads up. As for the site, Until I finish a segment I don't open a new page and currently I am working on 4 generations of BIOs and family history. You see our boating addiction goes back to the 40s. Who knew building a website would be so much work ha ha and here is the irony once its done its only the beginning. Its never really done.
Bob
aka Cowboy

Re:Into and some updates on FG 13 years 11 months ago #6065

dude how I know..ask kelly..the staff here, CC...the list just goes on on.

Re:Into and some updates on FG 13 years 11 months ago #6084

Seventy five boats and still collecting. You must have one of the largest collection out there. I think you better look into having yourself cloned. If your doing this solo man it would- will take a lot of cash and time.
Congratulations when is Grand Opening???

D

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)