Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: restoration project make/mode/year unknown

restoration project make/mode/year unknown 1 year 18 hours ago #147888

• Fatlenny
  • Fatlenny's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Thanks, I have some work to do, I have read other forums of glastron v143s hitting around 50mph with a 70hp motor. low to mid 50s is my goal for a top speed. I know this is not a glastron v143 but the hull is a clone of one and has to be close to the same weight. I want something I can fly on when I want to and pull a tube for fun the rest of the time or just cruse around when we feel like it. I know I could go to a 115 merc but if other posts are accurate, I should be able to get what I want with what I have.

The only issue I had on the water was when my wife got in the boat with me, It was listing badly to port side. I weigh more than her so no comments on the wifes weight. Driving the boat solo it did list more to the starboard side as expected although I did notice it was less with the fuel tank under the bow of the boat than when it was in the stern suggesting that the weight in the boat was more port side with the fuel tank moved up. When I let her drive, the boat still listed to port. Something is off balance here, next test run we will move the tank back under the splash well. As I type this out it seems that moving the fuel tank up front, also raising the center of gravity may be effecting the listing we are seeing. We moved the fuel tank up front to counteract the little bit bigger motor and the jack plate I started with. I planned on testing with the jack plate still in place, but decided to go ahead and remove it and test leaving the fuel up front. We will test with fuel tank movement first then battery as well, back aft with no jack plate. If we go back to the a jack plate I will use the smallest setback jack plate we can find, I will test as is with all weight in back and start with moving the battery only back up front first then fuel tank only if needed. I really prefer the option of motor adjustments on the fly as I would like this boat to perform differently as needs apply.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

restoration project make/mode/year unknown 11 months 2 weeks ago #147907

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
you need more horsepower.
One of my old 15' Tomahawks could smoke some bass boats.
135 'Rude. Just don't step aft!
Strictly bare bones. Very light seats, no attachments, no windshield.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fatlenny

restoration project make/mode/year unknown 11 months 2 weeks ago #147908

I would check the bottom of the boat with a long straight edge. See if there is a hook on your side and a rocker on your wife-s side. Does not have to be this pronounced but I have seen more than one boat with high speed running issues similar to yours. Both sides should be the same fore and aft.

restoration project make/mode/year unknown 11 months 2 weeks ago #147909

• Fatlenny
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More power is always more fun for sure. Not in the budget right now. As for the listing, I believe it is more of a weight balance thing. It evens out pretty well under speed. I plan on moving the battery to the other side under the splash well next to see if this helps. The Hull has a hook very far aft. seems to be equal on both sides. I dont know if it was built into this hull or a result from sitting years on a roller trailer. If it is a hull issue, there really isnt anything I can do about it now is there? I am not going to regut this boat for this issue. If it becomes annoying enough to me that moving some weight around dont make enough of a "fix", well then maybe trim tabs will help underway, but I really dont expect to have to invest in that. Still testing when I can as this spring weather is not being very nice to me.

restoration project make/mode/year unknown 11 months 2 weeks ago #147920

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Found this old pic. Not much control with the older boats at high speeds so be careful what you wish for.
You can see there's not much hull on the surface. 135hp Rude on a 15' Tomahawk.
Attachments:

restoration project make/mode/year unknown 10 months 3 weeks ago #147982

• Fatlenny
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Updated, well back dated the motor. Picked up a 1979 1/2 Merc 115. This is a hoot to run now!

Attachments:

restoration project make/mode/year unknown 10 months 1 week ago #148014

• Fatlenny
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Well here we are again. Some new parts and new issues.

Got a LaserII 22 pitch prop, only used once, paid $100 for it on marketplace. not a scratch on it. Got the Prop mounted and she sure looks purdy.

Well got home today and decided to move the jack plate up all the way gettin her ready for some testing tomorrow after work. Moving the jack plate up I saw something funny. Well not funny, but not right. Decided to look up reviews on the jack plate I bought off Amazon, and reconfirmed this jack plate was rated for 225hp max. I should have had no issue with my 115 right? WRONG! There must be some translation error from the china made jack plate. Maybe it was a typo and it was suppose to be a 25hp not 225. LOL. Well contacted Amazon ready for a fight because it was past the 30day return date. But to my surprise, they helped me out and got my refund going. I went back and looked at the reviews again because I seem to remember seeing mostly positive reviews, then I found the one hidden all the way at the bottom. This guy almost lost his outboard because his broke the same way mine is about to. This is what mine looks like. The bad reviewer is next photo down.

Now I have a few options, but I dont want to mount the outboard directly to the transom as it is the older bolt pattern and I would have holes to plug up.
Either im looking for another 4 inch set back jack plate that will work for me without breaking the bank.
I could just put the 10" back on it.
I could grab the jack plate off the bass boat. Not sure if that one is 4 or 6 inch set back but a much thicker aluminum and on the down side, not easily adjustable on the water.
Or finally I could use the brackets to build a transom riser like BOB'S sells. Only down side to this is the adjustability is not there at all.

Well tomorrow going to pull the jack plate off so I can get it returned, and hang the motor on the transom just temporarily till I figure out what path I am going to take. If anyone is local to Flint MI and has a 4 inch manual jack plate they want to sell or trade up for a 10 inch, Hit me up!
Attachments:

restoration project make/mode/year unknown 1 month 3 weeks ago #148679

• Fatlenny
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Good morning all. Still waiting for warmer weather to get the boats back in the water and have some fun. A small update on the make model year of this little fun project boat. A member from another forum sent me this link to a Canada facebook market place ad. This is defiantly the same exact model as mine but after a short conversation with the owner, he could only tell me it is a 1971. It was a bit difficult as he only spoke French and I had to play with google translate to converse with him. At least I know there is at least one more of these boats out there surviving. This find also increases my belief that this is a Canadian made boat.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/689099079746734?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Aee4f0ede-7a24-4f82-a75c-5b8928a49bb1

Attachments:

restoration project make/mode/year unknown 1 month 2 weeks ago #148685

Always fun to find siblings for our old boats.

The light bar placed on the boat for sale must be blinding to other approaching boats!!

I wonder if that's the original interior?

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7523 guests and no members online