• Page:

TOPIC: Aluminum Boat Paint

Aluminum Boat Paint 10 years 11 months ago #77947

• 55bigtwin
  • 55bigtwin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Stumbled upon a 50's aluminum boat project. It has layers of thick, peeling paint. Looks like a monumental stripping job. I'm half tempted to keep it low budget and just get out the 'Rust Oleum'. I am really not into months of stripping...any words of advice/ encouragement? Thanks...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Aluminum Boat Paint 10 years 11 months ago #77980

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
My two cents.......:)

Using Rustoleum is fine, I'd definitely recommend using the hardner described in other threads here. I WOULD however, suggest taking the time to strip the old paint off first. (Nothing looks worse than fresh paint over a poorly prepped surface IMHO.) There are some great strippers out there now that make the job fairly quick and painless compared to what it used to be. (Do a forum search on Citristrip.)

Mark

Re:Aluminum Boat Paint 10 years 11 months ago #77989

Your paint is only as good as what it is painted to. So if your old paint of coming off so will the new paint.

Also Aluminum needs to be primed with a self etching primer as for it to "dig into" the metal. If not your paint will begin to flake off sooner than most think it will

CAVU

Re:Aluminum Boat Paint 10 years 11 months ago #78064

My take is to always try and do my best work on whatever I do. Take the time and strip it, you will be work ahead because in the end your new paint will last longer and the boat will be something you are proud of. I started out with numerous layers of paint on my 50's aluminum runabout, the last of which had only been put on a year before and it was already looking terrible.You can check it out by clicking on my link below.

www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/home/alumi-classics/old-tinny-anyone-know-who-made-it

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)