Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration.

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 7 months ago #82102

garzilla wrote:

Beautiful boat! What color is that?

My wife LOVES it, so I'm gonna have to copy you..lol.

DAIHATSU PEACOCK BLUE METALIC with larger metallic than the formula called for (because it's a boat of coarse) this is a single stage catalyst paint. I originally picked out a NISSAN color that was almost identical but I decided against BC/CC due to the extra time involved in the paint process (I actually like the looks of a BC/CC better) so they had to color match it to find a single stage formula. I can always scuff it and apply a clear coat later for more depth if I decide to.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 4 months ago #85680

I have been busy, the wiring is complete and neatly tucked away, ignition switch, horn button (although I have not found a place I like to mount my vintage trumpet horn, so the wiring is just stubbed and tucked away for now) lighting switch and safety kill switch are all installed. 88 Johnson 25 mounted to the rear with the electric start modification completed (yes the pull rope still works) I had to modify the cowl base plate to make the throttle work, but I think it turned out nicely. The battery box, relay box and fuel tank are all installed and I just mounted a fire extinguisher behind the front seat back. The seat cushions are being made but I just couldn't wait for them to take pictures and post an update (it will give me something to post later on) Anyway enough of my rattling on, here are the pictures!

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 3 months ago #87320

Things are a little slow here on the aluminum drydock, but I have been "piddling" around some. Here are a few pictures of my latest progress.

carpet glued down in the center section

Everything mounted and secured in the rear section (Gas, Battery and even a battery powered paddle if there is a need ;) )
Attachments:

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 3 months ago #87323

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Looking great Casey, getting close now! ;)

Mark

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 3 months ago #87324

Still waiting on my seat cushions, but mostly I'm just needing the weather to cooperate, I'm not asking for much, just a warm sunny day with no wind in the winter time :D

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 2 months ago #87835

Great job. A lot of hard work but it is paying off in spades. A boat you can be proud of. I hope one my boats will look half as good.

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 2 months ago #87843

WOW! What a nice job! Makes me want to hunt down a lummie. (Anybody know where I could hide a couple of other boats for a year or so?)

What do you think about painting the motor Holiday bronze and cream? Maybe some '57 decals?

Anyway, beautiful work.

Bernie

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 2 months ago #87850

1030hugo wrote:

Great job. A lot of hard work but it is paying off in spades. A boat you can be proud of. I hope one my boats will look half as good.

Thanks for the kind words. What boats do you have? I love seeing all types of restores.

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 2 months ago #87852

Oldskier wrote:

WOW! What a nice job! Makes me want to hunt down a lummie. (Anybody know where I could hide a couple of other boats for a year or so?)

What do you think about painting the motor Holiday bronze and cream? Maybe some '57 decals?

Anyway, beautiful work.

Bernie

Thanks Bernie,

I've been trying to think how to "vintage" up my Johnny. Vintage paint color and decals have been a thought of mine too. Hadn't thought about Holiday bronze. Could be a nice contrast.

Everybody needs a nice lummie! Lot of good brands out there, some possibly better than others, some for sure more costly, but hard to beat a DuraCraft for how well they are built and you can usually find a deal one one pretty regular on EBay or Craig's list.

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 10 years 2 months ago #88925

Waiting on Spring.

Attachments:

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 8 years 11 months ago #108287

splash update: finally put some water under the Ol' Boat, will post pictures as soon as I get some resized, Sorry, when I take a picture it's not in miniature form so they all have to be resized to be allowed on here. might take a little bit :(

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 8 years 11 months ago #108297

Look who the cat drug in.

Congrats on getting it splashed.

Look forward to pix

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 8 years 11 months ago #108309

first 5 gallons of gas in the new tank

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 8 years 11 months ago #108311

Picking up the Wifie

this is it for now, video to come later.
Attachments:

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 8 years 11 months ago #108312

a real looker...ron

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 8 years 11 months ago #108315

awesome pix, thanks

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 8 years 11 months ago #108320

Thanks for noticing vuyosevich, the boat looks pretty good too, don't you think LOL :)

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 8 years 11 months ago #108327

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Looks really good Casey, nice work!

Mark

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 8 years 11 months ago #108605

MarkS wrote:

Looks really good Casey, nice work!

Thanks, was a fun journey.

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 8 years 7 months ago #113608

More summer fun on the water, with the Bimini top installed.

Attachments:

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 8 years 4 months ago #117371

great looking Duracraft, i redid one this summer, but it doesn't look near as good as yours..... i will try to post some pictures later

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 8 years 4 months ago #117376

Thanks! Would love to see some pictures of yours.

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 8 years 4 months ago #117381

m casey stock,

That's just DOWNRIGHT PURTY. - I hope that my TEXAS MAID tin runabout/trailer looks even HALF as nice.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 8 years 4 months ago #117385

Thnx SATX, I'm sure yours will turn out great if you put in the time and effort. I really enjoyed my build and it was nice to get a little reward play time in her this past Summer.

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 8 years 4 months ago #117388

m casey stock,

My "roomie" says that that's the "prettiest thing that I've seen in a long while." & then "I hope the Osprey looks that well, when it's finished."

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 8 years 4 months ago #117476

satx78247 wrote:

m casey stock,

My "roomie" says that that's the "prettiest thing that I've seen in a long while." & then "I hope the Osprey looks that well, when it's finished."

yours, satx

thumbs up!! :)

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 6 years 2 months ago #135447

• VinTin
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Sorry about posting to a thread that has been dormant for two and a half years. It is hard to find info on these old DuraCraft ships. Mine has the exact same hull as the ship in this restoration thread but mine has a duel cockpit deck. I'd like to know what year and have attached a photo of the serial number.

Thanks,

Dan

52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 6 years 2 months ago #135452

Here are 3 pics of the DuraCraft like yours. The one with the Evinrude on it is one I found and sold to a friend around 2005 and he painted it similar to the original paint job from the 50's. The other 2 pics are from 1957 slides of the same model that belonged to family friends that shows the original paint job. The seats in the original 57 model, I remember were red tufted canvas cushion seats and back and were held on with snaps on the deck behind the cockpits. Not sure how long this model was made.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 6 years 2 months ago #135454

The lowest serial number I had found in my research was documented as a 1952 model and that was SN 10160, so based on that, I'd have to say that yours is no newer than a 1952 model. Mine was missing the dash plaque, but I found the stamped number in the hull on the port side just under the gunnel trim about mid ship. That number and the plaque number should match. I sold my boat for $3,500.00, so don't plan on getting rich off it LOL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin

52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 6 years 2 months ago #135455

• VinTin
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

donsaulsbury wrote: Here are 3 pics of the DuraCraft like yours.

Thanks for the info!

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 6 years 2 months ago #135456

• VinTin
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

m casey stock wrote: The lowest serial number I had found in my research was documented as a 1952 model and that was SN 10160, so based on that, I'd have to say that yours is no newer than a 1952 model. Mine was missing the dash plaque, but I found the stamped number in the hull on the port side just under the gunnel trim about mid ship. That number and the plaque number should match. I sold my boat for $3,500.00, so don't plan on getting rich off it LOL.

Thanks for the info Casey. Nice restore you did there. So hard to find good info.

Did your open cockpit model have flush rivets under the splash rail? EDIT: I can see from your photos that yours are not flush rivets. All rivets that touch water are of the flush type on my boat.

No plans to sell.

EDIT: I found the serial number exactly where you found yours. Port side outside under the gunnel near the front dash.

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 6 years 2 months ago #135492

VinTin wrote:

m casey stock wrote: The lowest serial number I had found in my research was documented as a 1952 model and that was SN 10160, so based on that, I'd have to say that yours is no newer than a 1952 model. Mine was missing the dash plaque, but I found the stamped number in the hull on the port side just under the gunnel trim about mid ship. That number and the plaque number should match. I sold my boat for $3,500.00, so don't plan on getting rich off it LOL.

Thanks for the info Casey. Nice restore you did there. So hard to find good info.

Did your open cockpit model have flush rivets under the splash rail? EDIT: I can see from your photos that yours are not flush rivets. All rivets that touch water are of the flush type on my boat.

No plans to sell.

EDIT: I found the serial number exactly where you found yours. Port side outside under the gunnel near the front dash.

Interesting about the flush rivets below the water line. I have tones of pictures from my research on these boats, I'll have to go back and look at them and see if I notice that in any other models. The process my have changed later that year since yours is closer to the beginning of production. Or, it may be something the did on the dual cockpit hulls to make them slip through the water faster? Always something different with these old tins.

I didn't restore mine with the thoughts of selling either, I love restoring things in general and when I'm done if I keep enjoying it I'll hang on to it, otherwise I usually sell it. In the case of mine, because I have another more modern boat more suited for the environment I usually boat in, it wound up sitting collecting dust, and I think these things should be seen and enjoyed, so I passed it along. I did 100% of the labor myself except the custom seat padding, the $3,500.00 covered all the actual cash I put into it and since I got great enjoyment out of the labor, I felt good about the selling price. The new owners just love it and put it in the water quite often. Awesome.

I've had the car below for over a year now after restoration and am still enjoying it, so...so far it's a keeper LOL...BUT...if it ever gets to sitting , off it will go to the next person to be enjoyed

Attachments:

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 6 years 2 months ago #135493

VinTin wrote: Thanks for the info Casey. Nice restore you did there. So hard to find good info..

If you will google "52 DuraCraft Sportsman" and follow that to my posts on TinBoats.net, you will find the complete restoration of my boat and a ton of useful information that I did not post on here that is specific to vintage DuraCraft boats. (8 pages instead of 2)
The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin, Billinthedesert

Re:52 Duracraft Sportsman restoration. 6 years 2 months ago #135495

• VinTin
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

m casey stock wrote:

VinTin wrote: Thanks for the info Casey. Nice restore you did there. So hard to find good info..

If you will google "52 DuraCraft Sportsman" and follow that to my posts on TinBoats.net, you will find the complete restoration of my boat and a ton of useful information that I did not post on here that is specific to vintage DuraCraft boats. (8 pages instead of 2)

I read your whole thread a few days ago before buying this boat and found your thread very informative.

Thanks again for the info.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.342 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)