TOPIC: FeatherCraft questions

FeatherCraft questions 12 years 3 days ago #60134

• Nick
  • Nick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all,
Since there are several FC owners in here and I just got my hands on one the other day for my first I need to ask a few questions. What do you guys use to get the aluminum so shiny? And my boat is anodized Gold in it;s original form and it has been painted. I want to remove the paint without altering/removing the Gold anodized color. Any suggestions on what to use?

Also how do you tell for sure if you have a Gator trailer? Where do you look for the serial number or name on these? Since my boat is a 1959 model and the trailer is also a 1959 model and they used these I would figure the trailer may very well be a Gator. It has leaf springs and a handle on the front to pick it up along with a strange tilt feature. The tilt handle is at the right rear of the trailer under the tail light. You grab the handle and swing it out and it raises up the roller but I don't see how it works unless something is missing??

Also if anyone is in the FeatherCraft.net group can you ask the moderator to try and help me out I can't get into the forum section at all. I tried to use the contact feature and it won't go through. I can log in on the main page but when I try to log into the forum section it says user name isn't active so I don't know what the deal is.

Anyway thanks for any info you can give on the above questions and help with the group...

PS - Also how do these boats handle out in the water?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:FeatherCraft questions 12 years 3 days ago #60157

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi Nick,
I forwarded you a message from Split (Larry) including his email so you two can get in touch. He's probably got a lot of the answers your looking for, connection with the group, and a very nice example of a similar FeatherCraft!

Mark

Re:FeatherCraft questions 11 years 11 months ago #60974

My Feather Craft came with a thick coat of blue house paint. I used Aircraft Paint Stripper from the local auto parts store to remove it. It worked great. Didn't harm the anodize. Although, I wish it would have take that off, too. Instead, I used sodium hydroxide based drain cleaner for that.

Feather Crafts like yours handle beautifully. They will turn on a dime at any speed without dumping you. That is not to say you won't get sore ribs :) They are not fast. With a period correct 30-35 hp OMC you will see about 24-26 mph. With a 40-45 hp Mercury you should realize 27-31 mph.

For whatever reason, it is a slow process to get registered on the Feather Craft site. It'll happen.

Re:FeatherCraft questions 11 years 11 months ago #60982

• Nick
  • Nick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey,
Thanks for your reply. I bought some stuff at Lowes and it is taking the paint off easily and underneath the anodized gold looks great. I can live with 30mph I'm sure it will just be a joy to drive the boat. I have watched some videos of Feathercraft boats and they were moving at pretty decent speeds. I have my speed boat in the garage if I want to really move so the FC will just be my little classic boat to toy around in. I really do love the looks of these and feel lucky to have found one only a half hour away in a dumpy old garage.

Nick

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)