Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What Year is my Lone Star Malibu?

What Year is my Lone Star Malibu? 12 years 3 months ago #54287

• milkdud
  • milkdud's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Ive always guessed 1955 or 1956? Any ideas, what year did the Malibu start?

Conrad
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:What Year is my Lone Star Malibu? 12 years 3 months ago #54293

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Yours looks a LOT like my friend Bob's '57 Malibu Conrad. Keeping in mind they may have had very subtle changes between years......
www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/8-alumi-classics/13782-bobs-57-lone-star-malibu.html
According to the info in the Library here, 1957 is the first listing for the Malibu? Interesting connection with Bob Hammond of Glastron fame in the history, too!
www.fiberglassics.com/library/Lone_Star

Mark

Re:What Year is my Lone Star Malibu? 12 years 3 months ago #54321

• milkdud
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
You nailed it Mark. Its a 1957. I always thought the Malibu started earlier. But my 1956 catalog does not have it listed. 1957 must have been the only year without little wings at the back.

It looks like in 1958 possible and 1959 for sure they added slight wings to the back of the Malibu.

Conrad

Re:What Year is my Lone Star Malibu? 12 years 3 months ago #54336

Hi Conrad--I agree your boat is a '57. The fins started in '58. Assuming I can figure out how to do it correctly, I will post some pictures of my '57 Malibu below. My seats are obviously not stock and are missing the little triangular supports behind the second set, but otherwise the boats look almost identical. In case you didn't know, there is a Lone Star owners Yahoo group that has lots of nice Lone Star nuts on it, and an abundance of information. Lots of good albums too. Good luck with your boat--I love mine!

Shannon

PS Be careful about pulling it up on the rocks, though--those old 'lumies don't like to get all dented up :(
Attachments:

Shannon

Re:What Year is my Lone Star Malibu? 12 years 3 months ago #54337

I'm trying to post a couple more pictures, but can't figure out how. I read the thread to hit "edit" immediately, but can't seem to find an edit button. :unsure:

So, this is the second of 3.

Shannon

OK, so now I see an edit button, so hopeful this will be 3 of 3.
:P
Attachments:

Shannon

Re:What Year is my Lone Star Malibu? 12 years 3 months ago #54342

• milkdud
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Nice looking rig Shannon. I like my Malibu, but we use our Holiday more. The Malibu can get pretty small on windy days. The Malibu is nice and easy to get around in, and pulls behind the car like a leaf.

Re:What Year is my Lone Star Malibu? 12 years 3 months ago #54346

Here's a pic of my '58 Malibu. Love these little boats!
Attachments:

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:What Year is my Lone Star Malibu? 12 years 3 months ago #54349

Classicfins--That is a sharp looking boat. I love the 2-tone color combination, and especially the fins. Mine was kind of a quick purchase when I needed a boat to tool around the harbor at Washington Channel and the Potomac river in the DC area, so I couldn't be too picky. I was up there for a summer working on my houseboat, and couldn't stand not being able to cruise around in the evenings. Eventually I plan on re-doing it, but I have a lot of other finned projects ahead of it, as the finned boats have become my real passion. It is a great boat that's a lot of fun, but as Conrad mentioned, not the best rough water craft. Of course, none of these little boats are, but they sure do scoot, and they're easy on gas.

Shannon

Shannon

Re:What Year is my Lone Star Malibu? 12 years 3 months ago #54351

labloverdc wrote:

Classicfins--That is a sharp looking boat. I love the 2-tone color combination, and especially the fins. Mine was kind of a quick purchase when I needed a boat to tool around the harbor at Washington Channel and the Potomac river in the DC area, so I couldn't be too picky. I was up there for a summer working on my houseboat, and couldn't stand not being able to cruise around in the evenings. Eventually I plan on re-doing it, but I have a lot of other finned projects ahead of it, as the finned boats have become my real passion. It is a great boat that's a lot of fun, but as Conrad mentioned, not the best rough water craft. Of course, none of these little boats are, but they sure do scoot, and they're easy on gas.

Shannon

So true! This thing flies with the 35 on it, and cruises so nice on smooth water. But.. I think my favorite time in her is when the lake is packed with pontoons and wakeboarders. I leave the wife at the camp and head out by myself and just blast the waves. She'll cut and jump like a jet ski and you can get totally wet and just have a ball. lol...

I am looking at a little DuraCraft that is at the recycling yard just down the road. It looks almost like your boat and I can get it for probably $100 or so. I think I'll snag it and fix her up for a fishing rig. :)

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:What Year is my Lone Star Malibu? 12 years 3 months ago #54367

• milkdud
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Both of your boats are really nice. That yellow looks nice! I mostly use my Malibu as a utility/fishing boat. I fish out of it by myself a lot. I also test motors on it. Whenever I need to test a motor I throw it on the Malibu. Ive run up to 70 hp on it with my dockbusters. The transom is reinforced. Its amazing how well this boat handles power. It does not porpoise it just lays over and runs smooth. I ran in the mid 40 mph range with a MK 78 and it was smooth as can be.
Currently my favorite is my 1961 500 Electric start only. Its pretty light and goes pretty fast when needed. I had 4 people fishing on the river last year Probably close to 900 lbs of people and gear and this motor/boat combo snapped up on plane and cruized effortlessly.
Great boats.
Conrad
Attachments:

Re:What Year is my Lone Star Malibu? 12 years 3 months ago #54368

• milkdud
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
But when the rough stuff comes up or I need to haul more poeple I take the Holiday out. This boat handles rough water really well. Ive even taken it out on Lake Superior. The bow going slow will cut right thru 4 foot waves or more. Just have to go slow. And its still light enough that my Subaru Outback pulls it well.

Conrad
Attachments:

Re:What Year is my Lone Star Malibu? 12 years 3 months ago #54370

• milkdud
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I normally have a windshield on it but it pulls so much better without it. I also have original lone star trailers for both. If you look at the top first photos you can see my white lone star Road Star trailer. I think they are called Road Star. Ill have to look sometime.
Conrad

Re:What Year is my Lone Star Malibu? 12 years 3 months ago #54380

Love that Holiday!!

Re:What Year is my Lone Star Malibu? 12 years 3 months ago #54535

Nice one Conrad - have seen footage of it with the Dockbuster.

I've got a 400 on the back and it runs very well. The 59s onwards are not good in choppy water as the shape of the hull had changed and the spray rails removed...
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.301 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)