• Page:

TOPIC: Are there no Ark Trvlr Guru's???

Are there no Ark Trvlr Guru's??? 12 years 3 months ago #52921

• g3jim
  • g3jim's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
no one to help me with my quest for Arkansas Traveler knowledge?? Boo Hoo sniff sniff it is going to be a Blue Christmas!
fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/8-alumi-classics/52689-arkansas-traveler-question.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Are there no Ark Trvlr Guru's??? 12 years 3 months ago #52935

I can't help answer your questions. I know some company history, if that's of interest...

Andreas

Re:Are there no Ark Trvlr Guru's??? 12 years 3 months ago #52950

I've seen a few early Arkansas Travelers around, and none of them were painted, but had the aluminum mill finish. I've got some information on these from an interview with their production manager from quite a few years ago, I'll try to find it this afternoon.

Lee Wangstad

Re:Are there no Ark Trvlr Guru's??? 12 years 3 months ago #52960

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
sweet that would be awesome. It looks as though she had some original color to her. Not looking to be overly accurate with any cosmetic re do that I do but want to be close and have her keen and clean.
Thx Guys!!
Jim

Re:Are there no Ark Trvlr Guru's??? 12 years 3 months ago #52967

Arkansas Traveler boats were built by Southwest Manufacturing Company of Little Rock, Arkansas. The company started producing boats to supplement their usual business of making pick-ax handles and baseball bats. Originally they sought to get a product that would keep them busy in the off season, but spring would be the busiest for both products. Their first boats appeared in 1946 and followed their progression through the early 50's with distinctive styling and a quality product. In the mid-fifties they bought Regal Boats of Adams, Wisconsin to give them a northern shipping point. Regal was building both aluminum and stainless steel boats at the time, but went into assembling the Arkansas Traveler products at their plant. These brochure shots are from 1955, 1956, and 1957. It looks like they did begin to paint the boats in 1957. Interesting to note that Crestliner did also around the same time as the quality of the aluminum being produced was beginning to fall off. Southwest Manufacturing was bought by Standard Rail Car Company in 1957. This same year they started producing hybrid boats, with aluminum hulls and fiberglass decks. Don't be fooled by the unique styling though, Southwest Manufacturing was also building boats with other tags. They were building an economy line (Resorter) built by their Resort Boats Division. They were also building Sportland Aluminum boats for exclusive distribution by Kelly-How-Thomson Company of Duluth, Minnesota. The last image here is from their 1957 catalog. Perhaps yours could be one of these. By the early 60's they were also producing all fiberglass boats. They were making boats for Sears which would prove to be their downfall. Putting these contract orders ahead of their own dealers, they eventually lost dealers in major markets. When Sears went someplace else for a producer of their boats, their dealer network was in shambles. Their dealers were actually competing with their own boats, often at discounted rates through the mail order houses. Anyway, probably more than you wanted to know, but not all that there is to the story. Hope that these catalog images will help. Now go dry your eyes and quit your blubbering, there ain't goin' to be no blue Christmas around here. Sorry, I'm having some problems posting, the 1955 & 56 catalog scans are the last two.

Lee Wangstad

Re:Are there no Ark Trvlr Guru's??? 12 years 3 months ago #53061

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I feel strong that my 14 footer is the EX 14 circa 1957. Can't tell if there was a decal on her. I love the decals on the bow of the contesa but it does not look like the utility skiff got them. Is there anyone that makes these decals?
Mine is missing the MFG plate on the back. Been gone for a while from the looks of it.
Thx
Jim

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)