Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1959 Lone Star Malibu Info

1959 Lone Star Malibu Info 12 years 6 months ago #45776

Can anyone tell me much about the 1958/59 Lone Star Malibu's? I have an opportunity to pick one up in good shape (needs resto though). Can they handle a pair of 18-HP Johnson's? Are they particularly rare at all? Never done an aluminum boat before......

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1959 Lone Star Malibu Info 12 years 6 months ago #45827

I have a '58 and I love it. I am running a 35 Chrysler and if I had had a set of 18's they would have been on it. It screams with the 35, but is not over powered. The boat is nice and smooth in calm water, and a blast to ride in big rolling waves, much like a jet ski. lol.. It will beat you to death in a chop because it's so light.

As far as rare, I don't know how rare they are, but it is definately a boat worth investing your time and money into. The fins are nice and it really gets attention from other boaters.
Attachments:

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:1959 Lone Star Malibu Info 12 years 6 months ago #45828

Thats a beautiful boat! I have been looking for a boat that would handle twin motors ever since I got the bug several years ago. My Norris Craft could not, so it only has the 35HP Johnson. The transom on these malibu's are nice and wide. I picked up a really nice 1957 Johnson 18HP electric start and think it would be ideal for a twin set up. Just need to find another in similar condition with wiring harness.

I will make the guy an offer today. The trailer looks like a Tee-Nee. It is definately as old as the boat. He had new seats cut for the inside and they just need finishing now.

The only issue I had was it looksl ike it had hit the trailer a bit hard at one time and has a small dent in the bottom, back by the transom. It is anout 12 inchs long and dented the hull up about a half inch. It looks easily fixable though and the guy said it is still water-tight....... Hmmmmmmmm

Luckily it comes with all gauges (gas and tach), mirror, steering, controls and some other funky contraption in the middle of the dash. I will get pics up as soon as I can.

Re:1959 Lone Star Malibu Info 12 years 6 months ago #45838

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
My buddy Bob runs a 40hp on his '57, (not sure of the brand, but it's a two stroke) with no problem. I think you could go even higher hp with a little transom bracing, but I'm no expert.
www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/8-alumi-classics/13782-bobs-57-lone-star-malibu.html

Mark

Re:1959 Lone Star Malibu Info 12 years 6 months ago #45871

• dtrek
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hay i love that boat I never realy seen the art work & lines in alum boats tell i fond my lone star yours is a beauty never realy seen wings like your have very cool boat Darrel Shannon.

Re:1959 Lone Star Malibu Info 12 years 5 months ago #49952

Been awhile since I was here, but I run a '59 Malibu. Mine has been used with a 68 Merc 500, a '60 400 45hp and the ubiquitous BigTwin 40hp. Two 18s will be fine - been think about putting my 2 Merc 250s (the autoboxes) on mine.

The 58 is a better model as it has spray rails and I think is stronger...you can see why they're needed in this pic. Top speed is about 32mph with one up and the 400.

picasaweb.google.com/104032009748469833922/ItchenAndScratchin?authkey=Gv1sRgCNL81cL63rffiwE&feat=content_notification#5451185901051575714

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)