• Page:

TOPIC: Itching to get on the water..

Itching to get on the water.. 13 years 3 months ago #22635

• chirombo
  • chirombo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Was looking through my pics to find a suitable profile and came across one of my favourites where the boat and merc 400 is being wrung out last year in March. Came cracking past a refinery gantry en route to calmer waters.. Hoping it'll warm up here soon, but is still survival suit weather!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Itching to get on the water.. 13 years 3 months ago #22655

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
You have me wondering,, NY Reg on boat.Not sure of stern flag, boat Mfg or country of your origin,England? The Hudson,Lake Erie,Niagara River and Lake Ontario to my knowledge do not have any refineries on the NY boundaries.None on Manhatten Island either. So is the backdrop the Jersey Shore or someplace else ? Also your spelling of favorite appears to be the Canadian version. So are you a Canadian/Brit in a NY boat cruising the Jersey shorline ? Maybe Long Island Sound ? Or give me a few more hints and see if I or anyone else can figure it out.Thanks for the puzzle.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Itching to get on the water.. 13 years 3 months ago #22691

• chirombo
  • chirombo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Lol, didn't intend the post to be a mystery... Am an anglo-african, but settled here years ago. The pic was taken off the coast of Southampton in the UK. The red ensign is a UK civilian version (white and blue versions are Royal Navy, or used by reserve officers). The boat is a '59 Lone Star Malibu, brought over on a plane by a US airman who was based at one of the US airbases. When he went home he left it behind, complete with it's Merc 300 and gator trailer. It's still mostly original, bar the motor and probably the only one outside the US.. The seat's upholstery and coir is rotten so I have removed them and made simple plywood bases. She's got dents and scratches, corrosion from rain water and the odd broken stringer, but doesn't leak! The windshield is a factory 18in version, as at some stage it had a bimini, again, I'd like to reinstate it, but need the various fastenings to match those on the windshield. Someday I'd like to find out more history but I think the NY reg archives don't go back that far...

I have always wondered why Lone Star dropped the spray rails / boat design they had on the 1958 models; I suspect the 58 boats are much, much more rigid, overall stronger and less 'wet'. The pic below is self explanatory...The driver remains dry, but his passengers and any boat within 25-40 feet will get drenched by spray flung into the air and blown back..is a great party trick :laugh:
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7442 guests and 4 members online