• Page:

TOPIC: painting aluminum

painting aluminum 13 years 4 months ago #19553

• thetudor
  • thetudor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
What is everyone's suggestions on materials and methids for painting a previously painted aluminum hull? I don't have a classic, but I just purchased a rigid bottom inflatable with an aluminum hull ($300 for a clean up project, you can't beat it). The bottom and transom need to be re-done to cover some scratches and wear. Thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:painting aluminum 13 years 4 months ago #19556

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Todd, I've had good success using green zinc chromate self-etching primer on aluminum props, then the best paint you can afford. (I used Krylon on one, and Rustoleum on the other. - All I could afford at the time, but they both still look great!) Just my two cents. ;)

Mark

Re:painting aluminum 13 years 4 months ago #19562

If the aluminum is bare... use vinegar and a RED Scotchbrite pad (auto-paint store). Rinse thoroughly. The ONLY primer to use is zinc-chromate as mentioned before. Just about any paint will stick to it.. but for water resistance- I like urethane epoxy (automotive/industrial)

Re:painting aluminum 13 years 4 months ago #19606

• thetudor
  • thetudor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
The surface still has paint on it (from the factory) and I am not planning to strip it. Would the zinc-chromate still be viable?

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:painting aluminum 13 years 4 months ago #19633

thetudor wrote:

The surface still has paint on it (from the factory) and I am not planning to strip it. Would the zinc-chromate still be viable?

Yes- The zinc will stick to properly sanded original paint. Feather all the missing paint edges with at least 180g then 240g sandpaper. Then do the vinegar cleaning. Wash thoroughly with dishwashing detergent (rinses well with no residue). Prime with the Zinc-Chromate primer. If you can still see the paint edges- you may wish to spray a coat of high-build primer on the boat and then block-sand.

Re:painting aluminum 13 years 4 months ago #20301

Hi, I have done some research on this. Ever wonder why almost all jon boats are green?...Because Duralux Paint makes a patented paint that actually bonds to the aluminum. Almost all aluminum jon boat manufacturers use this specific paint product. To my knowledge no other base coating or primer will actually bond to the aluminum. You can use this paint as is or as a base coat for their other 20? coatings. Duralux has been around for a long time, and they are very knowledgeable. Talk about harsh environments.....They make paint coatings for oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico. I spoke to the salesman last year, he will steer you in the right direction. One thing that he stated that was critical was to get the alumimum very clean & very dry and prior to painting.

Other research....use the following:

How to Clean Aluminum Boats

By Kat Yares, eHow Editor

Heavy use from the water can cause any boat to get dirty, especially aluminum boats if they are not painted and left with their natural aluminum finish. Cleaning the surface is an easy task if you are willing to use a little elbow grease.

Instructions

Things You’ll Need:
Tri sodium phosphate (TSP)
Large bucket
Large sponge
Green 3M-type scrubber
Garden hose
Plenty of water
Safety glasses
Rubber gloves
Clothing that covers entire body

Tips & Warnings
• Use plenty of water when rinsing the TSP solution. Wash your boat only on a concrete or asphalt surface as TSP can kill vegetation. Follow all directions and safety precautions on the packaging.
Step1

Follow all manufacturer's safety recommendations on the box of TSP that you purchased from any local hardware store. Place safety glasses over your eyes, rubber gloves on your hands and mix a solution of TSP to the manufacturer's guidelines for proper strength.

Step2

Wet down one section of the aluminum boat with the hose and clean water. The surface should be thoroughly wet before applying the solution of TSP. Use the sponge to generously apply the solution. Start at the top and work down the side of the boat. Scrub in horizontal strokes and proceed down the surface.

Step3

With the hose, rinse the washed area with plenty of water. Observe the areas that have become fully cleaned by the appearance of shiny metal. You do not have to dry your boat with any cloth, as the surface will naturally dry.

Step4

If you encounter difficult dried algae and lake scum stains, you may need to allow the TSP solution to sit for a few minutes. Never allow the solution to dry on the surface. If you encounter portions of the aluminum that are still stained, reapply the TSP solution with the sponge and use the green scrub pad with the same horizontal strokes.

Hope this helps.....Einsteinlivesintexas
Attachments:

Re:painting aluminum 13 years 4 months ago #20384

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Good info Einstein, thanks for sharing.

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.291 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat