Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull

1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 13 years 8 months ago #13382

Hello,

I am new to this forum, and I am searching for information on, or fellow owners of the Maritime brand. There is currently a company called Maritime making aluminum hulled boats, but they are not connected to the 1960's company. I have had little success searching, but I do know that these boats were built by the Alliance Machine tool company in Alliance Ohio. My Dad bought this boat in 1967 when I was 12. I have begun to polish the hull, because painted, she looks like very other fiberglass boat from that era. I wonder if most of these boats were 'recycled' back when aluminum scrap was so high. Anyone ever heard of these?

Thanks!

Dave
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 13 years 8 months ago #13388

Yes, I heard of them and have seen a few. Most of the models sold were cathedral hulls but they also made a few deep-V racing style boats. They, the son of the Allied Co. owner I understand, competed in "Offshore" racing. Most of the "race" boats and V runabouts were "machine" finish - have you found that type of aluminum treatment when paint was removed.
I have some other Marimtime boat pics and some ads that I can send to the"library" or email.
Attachments:

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 13 years 8 months ago #13389

Attachments:

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 13 years 8 months ago #13390

Attachments:

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 13 years 8 months ago #13443

Thanks for the pics! Those are some great ads, and yes, my boat did have the jeweled finish under the paint. It was not so good, or I might have tried to leave it that way. It DOES make a lot more work to get to a polished finish, since the effect is basically heavy concentric scratches that have to be sanded out. I wonder if the aluminum was coated with any kind of sealant back then? One afternoon on the water totally discolored my work in progress. I have coated the polished metal with SharkHide - great stuff.

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 13 years 8 months ago #13478

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
D: CONGRATS, Sweet ride , Nice polish job. Very interesting. We have a nifty show twice a year in Knoxville, Tenn that is a big draw for the Feather Craft polished boats , if you are interested , Mid May & about Mid Oct.

. My outboard friend uses that Shark Hide on his pontoon & recommends it. Good info. .. Again WELCOME. Do you have a special orbital polisher , or just electric drill .? Big money in this region to do a whole AIRSTREAM travel trailer if you get bored .!!

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 13 years 8 months ago #13504

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
She looks great Dave, cool to have your Dad's old boat too. Hope the Shark Hide keeps all your hard work looking good.

Split - can you give us more info on the show coming up in K-town? I haven't been able to get out to see any shows this year, think it's about time! (Pretty good drive up from Atlanta, but the scenery should be beautiful about mid-Oct. ;) )

Mark

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 13 years 8 months ago #13511

Split & Mark,

Thanks for the kind words! As far as the polishing goes, I started out with an orbital sander to remove the heavier scratches and the original 'engine turning'. Then, wetsand with 320 and again with 1000 grit. (pretty big jump in grit, but it seems to work). Final polishing with a variable speed Makita buffer using sharkhide compound. The buffer makes all the difference, but it is a handful.

I think an Airstream trailer would be a lot easier, but I doubt if I will ever be that bored - 17' seems more like 50' when you're having that kind of fun. :laugh: As you can see in this picture, I only have the one side finished. Have no plans to do the entire bottom, only down to the waterline. Whew!

Dave
Attachments:

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 13 years 7 months ago #13572

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
pretty sharp.....lot of hard work sweat..gives us ideas on what to do with other alumi boats :blink:

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 13 years 6 months ago #17002

Hi Dave,

Great looking boat you have there! It's nice to know another Maritime other than mine is still in existance. I have a 1968 Climax 1600 deep V. It is hard to find reliable information on these things but through research I have been told that mine was hull #2 of 6 built for racing in europe. It originally had a Coventry Climax 2.0 litre inline 4 race engine coupled to a volvo drive. When I saved it from the scrapper all I had was a shell, no engine or rigging and full of holes from years of rigging and rerigging...it was a mess. It took a couple years of fabricating and welding in my spare time but now it is pretty much complete with a 1968 Mercury 120hp engine and drive as the only original coventry engine I could find was in a museum.

You do see models similar to yours on ebay now and then. I went and looked at one in Akron a couple years ago that was a retired sheriffs boat from the Portage Lakes. The engine and drive were shot and it had trees growing out of it...a little more work than I was looking for at the time.

I do have some old literature from Maritime if you would like me to make copies let me know.

Getting late, off to bed now.

Kevin

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 13 years 6 months ago #17012

Hey Kevin,

I would love to see the old literature you have, and also pictures of your boat. Sounds very interesting. Never thought of watching ebay for Maritimes - I will do a search. Starting to get a little chilly around here, 'bout time to put it away for the season.

Thanks for the post,

Dave

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 13 years 6 months ago #17016

Hi Dave,

I can post on here or email direct. my email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. are you in Ohio?

Thanks, Kevin

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 13 years 3 months ago #22495

Just registered on site. Purchased a 1966 17" Maritime this year. We used to rent this model to public in Alexandria Bay, NY.
Toughest boat in the 1000 Islands. This one is original & in decent shape.
Attachments:

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 13 years 3 months ago #22497

It appears to be in excellent condition! Don't see a motor on it - what do you plan to use? Love to see more pics, if you have any.

Dave

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 13 years 3 months ago #22596

Great looking boat, is that a current picture? What kind of power is in / on it? Do you know of any others in your area?

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 13 years 3 months ago #22597

Dave, I forget what pics I sent but here are a couple of my 1968 maritime v-hull.
Attachments:

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 13 years 3 months ago #22598

Heres another

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 13 years 2 months ago #24197

I don't own one of these boats, but I am sure I am the one that done about 70% of the welding on it. I worked for Maritime during most of the time it was in business. If you will send me an email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. I will be glad to give you more detailed information on these boats.
Fenn

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 13 years 1 month ago #26054

Yes, that 1966 Maritime is a current pic. I'll attempt to scan & send another showing the original interior . It also shows the 100 hp Johnson which was on the boat when I bought it. Motor was NG.jtc

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 13 years 1 month ago #26055

Will try to attach 1966 Maritime showing interior.jtc

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 12 years 11 months ago #30280

Fenn, Thanks for offer of more info on the Maritimes. Would be interested to know Aluminum alloy used to build these. Also, do you know if these Maritime products corp boats (Alliance Ohio)---became Monarch tri-hulls built by Zack McLendon of Monticello Arkansas? The monarks seem to be identical to the Maritimes...

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 12 years 9 months ago #36201

i have one of these. '68. had it nearly 20 yrs and will never part with it. powered by a '74 1500 merc

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 12 years 8 months ago #41053

i've just pulled my 68 nova scotia out of the woods put a new floor junked the 105hp chrysler and re powered with a 81 tower of power 115 and been having a ball on the lakes and ocean in the northeast. These boats where made to last,
Attachments:

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 12 years 8 months ago #41118

Wow! Very nice. I like the deck rails - looks very modern. Love to see more pics, especially of the interior. I still have not finished polishing mine. Too many other projects this summer.

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 12 years 8 months ago #41152

I had it painted about 25years ago, some top side paint and she's looking good, I still have to change out the drivers seat. the rails are off a Gladstone metric speed boat that I had bought for the motor and they fit almost like a glove. had my brother make up the windshield and still need to finish, I really like the polished look but my wife won;t let me do it, if I had it my way I would have bought the Burnished finish which is a great look.
Attachments:

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 12 years 8 months ago #41153

[file/] having problem with attaching more than 1 picture,

Re: 1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 11 years 10 months ago #61786

I was surprised to see such a good looking hull, if you would have said to me 46 years ago that these boats would look this great I would have thought you were crazy, I worked at Meritime Boats from 1965-66, I cut out and bent all the aluminum for the Tri-Hulls and V-Hulls, I was the only one that cut the aluminum, so I cut out every piece on your boat. You are right, the company was owned by the Alliance Machine Tool Co. in Alliance, Ohio. The owner was Merick Lewis, he also owned the Formula Boat Co in Miami which built the same design in fiberglass. Sure brings back alot of memories, thanks for the nice picture.

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 11 years 10 months ago #61789

I worked at Meritime Boats from 1965-66, I cut out and bent all the aluminum for the Tri-Hulls and V-Hulls, and this boat, John Wheeler welded and assimbled everything else. It was built for Kiekhaefer-Mercury Outboard Motor Company, owned at that time by Carl Kiekhaefer. It had 2 Jet turbines for power. Outer skin was 3/16" aluminum plate and transom was 5/8" Plate, Stringers were 1/2" aluminum T-bar. It was driven by a guy named Johnny don't remember his last name in the Miami/Bahamas offshore race In 1966, they came in so far ahead of the other boats that they disqualified them for being a expiremental boat.

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 11 years 10 months ago #61795

jsill, what boat are you talking about? I also worked at Maritime and don't recall any boat with jet turbines for power. Do you remember Jim Adcock, Ron Timmerman,Ron Middleton,Richie Gallina,Nino Martino, and I could go on but that is enough for now.

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 11 years 10 months ago #62370

Fenn, I do remember Jim Adcock, Ron Timmerman, and Ron Middleton, the other ones sound familiar but its been a long time and I have a hard time remembering names. The boat I was referring to was the cigarette boat, the fourth item down in this forum, has the number 15 on the side. I think it was the only one built at Maritime. When and where did you work at Maritime?

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 11 years 10 months ago #62409

jsill, please send me an email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I welded on the number 15 boat. It had two Chevy V-8 engines inline when it left Maritime, I helped install them. The driver of the #15 was Odell (Whitey) Lewis. Was you there the night we finished the 15 and Merrick Lewis came in the shop drunk and sent out and bought beer and pizza foe everyone that had worked on the 15. Then he wanted to christian the boat by breaking beer bottles on it. :lol:

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 11 years 9 months ago #64469

My father bought one from the local marina just a few miles west of Alliance. Midway marina on rt 44 and Columbus rd. old rt 62. When he thought of buying one he said they had a couple that were damaged and unfinished and the factory was willing let them go for a small amount. After going to the marina he opted to buy a new one. They put a super sturdy trailer under this boat called Sterling. It a had stilt feature which we found useful in especially on the shallow ramps. We loved the weekends on many bodies of water. It was the best water ski boat too. Hardly no wake at all. We kept it in the family for 20 years and even though I have a much larger faster newer boat. I would still love to have one of these today.

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 11 years 7 months ago #67520

I found an article about the Pratt-Whitney Turbine that was installed on a Thunderbird Raceboat, that I'm attaching.
There was a Thunderbird - Maritime connection, I understand. I'm also sending two interesting pics- they look very similar and are running the same number , one with a Maritime logo, one with Thunderbird.
Attachments:

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 11 years 7 months ago #67522

Regarding Odell Lewis and the Maritime Racing program, I found an article about the Miami-Nassau Race in 1968 I think that a Maritime, Mona Lou III, won. Also sending part of an AC Sparkplug ad with the boat pictured.
Attachments:

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 11 years 7 months ago #67789

I have a 64 Maritime Cathedral Hull 17.5' with the original 90 hp Evinrude outboard on it. The hull was stripped down and painted back in the 70s (tan with brown stripes). The 90 was also painted to match the boat. New carpet was installed and the seats were recovered. Last year the wooden seats were removed and replaced with pedestal seats. I use a 61 Johnson 6 hp as a kicker.
This thread is very interesting to me as I didn't know anything about the history of the brand. Unfortunately, I will am selling the rig to pay for a new toy.
Attachments:

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 8 years 9 months ago #111711

My name is Dennis, I just bought this boat and this is the only site that i have found that shows my boat. There is a lot of thing on it that don't work. I want to know if anyone can help me with this. I am also not sure what this boat is worth.

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 8 years 9 months ago #111712

My name is Dennis, I just bought this boat and this is the only site that i have found that shows my boat. There is a lot of thing on it that don't work. I want to know if anyone can help me with this. I am also not sure what this boat is worth.

Re:1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 8 years 9 months ago #111717

pics

gotta have pics

btw, there's one on Craigslist (maybe the one you bought?)

syracuse.craigslist.org/boa/5041150267.html
Attachments:

Re: 1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 8 years 9 months ago #111724

djetter; speedboatbum; comstock; Fenn; wickedlester; dennismbomba; jsill; smithrch; MNoutdoorsman; slyfox,

WELCOME ABOARD. - We're glad that you joined up.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: 1966 Maritime - Welded Aluminum Cathedral Hull 8 years 9 months ago #112019

Found a pic of the "different" Maritime. It was converted to a "cruiser-crewboat" by adding a Chevy Blazer top by a guy who was on the Maritime Race Team. After the racing program ended he bought the Crewboat and used it on Lake Champlain as an overnighter.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.396 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6786 guests and 3 members online