• Page:

TOPIC: 1959 Lone Star Malibu

1959 Lone Star Malibu 4 years 2 months ago #141688

• John T.
  • John T.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Well I found this 1959 Lone Star Malibu in need of restoration and I couldn't pass it up for the very low price they were asking.. plus they delivered it to me !! the tires were bad and had popped their beads so they hauled the whole thing on another trailer.. here are the as found pics.. I power washed it last night on my way home from work after replacing the tires.. It appears to have probably been the Tahitian Coral color originally … I haven't been able to get new pics of it as it started snowing and we got about 6" overnight .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1959 Lone Star Malibu 4 years 2 months ago #141710

Nice find! It's a shame all of those crystals forming all over it.
Is it more orange or pink? I'm trying to decide which way to go, add yellow or white to red, or just stay red. I can't tell what the original color was after getting the yellow latex off.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John T.

1959 Lone Star Malibu 4 years 2 months ago #141711

• John T.
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Essayon wrote: Nice find! It's a shame all of those crystals forming all over it.
Is it more orange or pink? I'm trying to decide which way to go, add yellow or white to red, or just stay red. I can't tell what the original color was after getting the yellow latex off.

I would say more pink then orange.. I think my boat may have been painted orange before red... but Tahitian Coral originally.. If you google Tahitian Coral you can find the original color for 1958 Chrysler cars.. there's even the color mixes that were used.. its a bit confusing to me though.. I'm sure paint mixers will understand what they are talking about and be able to mix the correct color..

1959 Lone Star Malibu 4 years 2 months ago #141713

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
When I rebuilt my '57 Tomahawk I used the recommended Chrysler Corp Tahitian Coral thinking it would be more pinkish. Had the local auto paint store mix up a quart. It's more orange than you want.
PS, that's Dr. Go and the admiral in the boat next to it.
Attachments:

1959 Lone Star Malibu 4 years 2 months ago #141714

• John T.
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

63 Sabre wrote: When I rebuilt my '57 Tomahawk I used the recommended Chrysler Corp Tahitian Coral thinking it would be more pinkish. Had the local auto paint store mix up a quart. It's more orange than you want.
PS, that's Dr. Go and the admiral in the boat next to it.

yeah that just doesn't look right at all from the pics of it on the internet or from what I can see on my boat.. they are much more pink.. I can't copy it off the internet so I took a pic of it.. it might not be exact from my camera but very close to the original Tahitian Coral color on the net..
Attachments:

1959 Lone Star Malibu 4 years 2 months ago #141719

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
That Coral sample looks like a nice color that represents a nice vintage look. In your defense Sabre, you can’t really notice the color when you are getting passed At high speed by the stealth 135hp brute lol.

Dr.Go!

1959 Lone Star Malibu 4 years 2 months ago #141720

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
OK John, there's your answer. Just put on a healthy motor and no one will notice the color.
BTW I do have something waiting in the wings for my current project if the 85hp doesn't crank out enough. The cowl on the Johnson 85hp that is on it is a perfect fit for this beast. Plus I installed an 18 gallon fuel tank which will be necessary.
Attachments:

1959 Lone Star Malibu 4 years 2 months ago #141723

• John T.
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

63 Sabre wrote: OK John, there's your answer. Just put on a healthy motor and no one will notice the color.
BTW I do have something waiting in the wings for my current project if the 85hp doesn't crank out enough. The cowl on the Johnson 85hp that is on it is a perfect fit for this beast. Plus I installed an 18 gallon fuel tank which will be necessary.

that should make your boat almost fly !! I have a earlier one of those that I haven't started on a 22 1/2 ft. aluminum boat that I bought last year. I'm up grading to a newer 1999 Mercury 200 EFI for this boat..
Attachments:

1959 Lone Star Malibu 4 years 2 months ago #141725

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
That'll get the job done. Didn't mention the current project is a 15' StarCraft.

1959 Lone Star Malibu 4 years 2 months ago #141727

• John T.
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

63 Sabre wrote: That'll get the job done. Didn't mention the current project is a 15' StarCraft.

Wow !! it should be interesting to see what those do for the 15' Star Craft !! lol

1959 Lone Star Malibu 4 years 2 months ago #141728

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Should be ready for water in May. That Tomahawk in the upper picture had what Dr, Go eluded to stealth 135hp Rude.
I could pass up some of those go fast bass boats
Keep us posted on your color choice.

1959 Lone Star Malibu 4 years 2 months ago #141733

• John T.
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

63 Sabre wrote: Should be ready for water in May. That Tomahawk in the upper picture had what Dr, Go eluded to stealth 135hp Rude.
I could pass up some of those go fast bass boats
Keep us posted on your color choice.

Wow that's pretty awesome !! now I understand what he was getting at !! lol I'll probably be going with the Tahitian Coral when I get to it.. Its on the back burner for now.. I have a couple other projects in the works before this one comes up.. I just couldn't pass it up for $200 delivered …

1959 Lone Star Malibu 4 years 2 months ago #141738

Not trying to throw a wrench into things but Cadillac also had a Tahitian Coral in 58. It's been a while since I was looking at paint colors but I think Studebaker also had one.
I'd like to find a patch of original paint under a tag or label to compare. Until then reddish pink or reddish orange is up to your taste.
Page 6 and 8 of the 59 Lone Star brochure look like they are different colors. The Malibu looks red to me and the Saratoga is probably coral.

1959 Lone Star Malibu 4 years 2 months ago #141739

• John T.
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
yes I see some difference in the brochures.. I've seem other examples of what others called Tahitian Coral including one from GM that actually looked brown.. from what I see on my boat coming out from the re-paint looks mostly like the Chrysler Tahitian Coral color.. as can be seen coming out from hiding on my dash and the upper edges of the side..
Attachments:

1959 Lone Star Malibu 4 years 1 month ago #141743

Behind the dash plate there should be some preserved paint.
I have a Lone Star trailer I need to grind off the rivets to expose the original paint color behind the data plate.
The hunt is part of the fun.

1959 Lone Star Malibu 4 years 1 month ago #141750

• John T.
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Essayon wrote: Behind the dash plate there should be some preserved paint.
I have a Lone Star trailer I need to grind off the rivets to expose the original paint color behind the data plate.
The hunt is part of the fun.

Good point !! I'll have to investigate a little further.. maybe this weekend its suppose to be a bit warmer..

1959 Lone Star Malibu 4 years 1 month ago #141790

1959 Lone Star Malibu 4 years 1 month ago #141791

• John T.
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Essayon wrote: I may go with 2003 Ford Thunderbird Coral.
https://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?type=sample&paint=27830&ditzler=6136&syear=2003&smanuf=Ford&smake=Ford&smodel=Thunderbird&sname=Coral&name=thunderbird20036136&scomm=&rows=50

Hmmm.. that just might be closer to the color I'm seeing on my boat... the paint on the sides of my boat where the red peeled is shiny and looks more orange then the color on my dash.. I wet the color on my dash and it becomes more orange then the pinkish color of the 1958 Chrysler Tahitian Coral sample I posted …
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)