Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lone Star Flotation

Lone Star Flotation 6 years 8 months ago #133324

Hi All.
Recently bought a 1955 Lone Star Cruise Master 21 ft cabin cruiser. I am replacing the flotation. According to the 1959 Lone Star brochure in the Glassic Library section of this website, , they used expanded polystyrene at the factory. I noticed that there is a picture showing the flotation inserted from the gunnel to the chine. When I removed the flotation from my boat, which was installed by the previous owner, there was also flotation in the bottom section from the chine about halfway to the keel. Does anyone out there know if the factory did only the gunnel to the chine, or if they did the lower section from the chine down as well? I figure the factory knew best, so I would like to duplicate their approach. If anyone has done this job I would appreciate any knowledge and tips you could share. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lone Star Flotation 6 years 8 months ago #133325

Foneman1,

WELCOME ABOARD.

I would guess that more foam is better inasmuch as it doesn't weigh much & would provide extra floatation in an emergency.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Lone Star Flotation 6 years 8 months ago #133360

Good point. Thanks for your input.

Lone Star Flotation 6 years 8 months ago #133365

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Wish I could remember where that web site was that explained the whole process, calculations and thinking behind the whole floatations thing. Maybe it was linked from someone on this site (with a better memory than me). I think it also discussed placement and affects of whether the boat could float swamped, but up right verses up side down. I know I was going to try to find it for next years restoration.

Dr.Go!

Lone Star Flotation 6 years 8 months ago #133380

• DaveM
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
This link has some good data on flotation calculations: uscgboating.org/regulations/assets/builders-handbook/FLOTATION.pdf

Lone Star Flotation 6 years 8 months ago #133412

That's quite a website. I will check it out thoroughly. Thanks for pointing it out.

Foneman1

Lone Star Flotation 6 years 6 months ago #134178

My Cruisemaster has foam from gunwale to chine and fore to aft. Nothing in the floor.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6916 guests and one member online