Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1953 Arkansas Traveler BF HD Utility

1953 Arkansas Traveler BF HD Utility 6 years 8 months ago #132946

I heard you guys like pictures. Here is my first 15' 10" Big Fisherman AT that I got last year. This is the boat I plan to put the 1957 EV Lark on.
(See posted in J.E.G.O.) This boat was in excellent original shape, but I am having it redone as far as wood finish and floor paint. The aluminum has been stripped & defouled. None of the original wood has been replaced. What we thought was mahogany turned out to be tulip poplar with a great stain job. We have tried to duplicate that.

Dan in TN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1953 Arkansas Traveler BF HD Utility 6 years 8 months ago #133060

Heading into the priming & painting areas. Plenty more pics to see. I think some pin stripes are coming as he mentions he is fixing to get stylish. No telling what that means, but I am excited to just wait & see. More to follow.

Dan in TN

Didn't know if y'all had seen the mods to the drain plug? He removed the vertical drain plug (see patch on right side of bottom at rear) & added horizontal drains at the rear. This will make it much easier to get all of the water out of the boat.

1953 Arkansas Traveler BF HD Utility more paint. 6 years 7 months ago #133094

Painting continues. Says he is going for the '50s Art Deco look. Pin stripes to follow & then off to the trailer.

Dan in TN
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: asign

1953 Arkansas Traveler BF HD Utility 6 years 7 months ago #133352

She's upright now & got the pin stripes. Starting to look complete. Putting the floors in now. I need flat floors to walk on for balance issues. Trailer work begins next.

Dan in TN
Attachments:

1953 Arkansas Traveler BF HD Utility 6 years 7 months ago #133485

Here we go with the trailer. Discovered the trailer was not a home built as told by the seller! If I had known that I would have kept it for a smaller boat & never have cut it up for modifications. Found the tag after we started. It was a Metzger Sportsman 691 out of Milwaukee. I had never heard of them, but an interesting story of the owner & he wrote a book. Anyway several modifications are being made to incorporate the independent suspension. A sway bar has been added. Jack pads were added to make it easier to jack the boat up. The arms were so close to the wheels it was hard to get the jack under the frame. The pictures of the fenders show how they will be sectioned for the larger tires (4.80 X 12"). Since several different power plants may be used on the boat the carriage can be moved to change the tongue weight. Enjoy!

Dan in TN

1953 Arkansas Traveler BF HD Utility 6 years 6 months ago #133925

Next installment on the trailer as the weather is getting better & progress is being made. The bow arm has been fashioned with the winch post & the long tongue has been added. By making the tongue fold up the LOA is 19' with engine so the rig will fit in a standard garage. The fenders have been sectioned & will fold up for tire changes. Enjoy the pics!

1953 Arkansas Traveler BF HD Utility 6 years 4 months ago #134939

The boat is finally done. Took about 6 months. Engine is about done & should be ready for spring. Maybe get some running this winter if we keep getting these breaks in the weather. The boat & trailer turned out great. The trailer became a custom affair with many touches. I haven't been on the site in a while. Enjoy the pictures.

Dan in TN

1953 Arkansas Traveler BF HD Utility 6 years 4 months ago #134940

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Well there just aren’t words when your jaw is on the floor!!! Sure would love to see that at Tomahawk Nationals next August!
The following user(s) said Thank You: t2stroke

Dr.Go!

1953 Arkansas Traveler BF HD Utility 6 years 4 months ago #134941

Thank you. I have plans & reservations to be there. I get there early & stay to the end. It will be in the water at the first of the week & hopefully in the arena later for display. That's the plan anyway. The trailer actually turned out to be more work than the boat. We used the independent suspension from the original trailer, but everything else is custom built. Much wider & longer. The fold up tongue makes it fit in a regular garage (19' LOA).

Dan in TN

1953 Arkansas Traveler BF HD Utility 6 years 4 months ago #134945

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I plan to be there next year and hope to meet you and see the boat!

Dr.Go!

1953 Arkansas Traveler BF HD Utility 6 years 3 months ago #135148

Absolutely beautiful job!! Congratulations.

Did you have to do much straightening on the aluminum hull it self?

1953 Arkansas Traveler BF HD Utility 6 years 3 months ago #135150

The boat was in excellent shape (better than me since it is the same age)! No metal had to be straightened. Only one small spot of battery acid staining. Easily removed. All of the wood was in good shape. We changed the paint pattern a little as it made the boat look fat in the bow (it is)! In our opinion now it looks a little sleeker. I go to a lot of AOMCI meets so had to have a good trailer. Ended up with a complete custom trailer that was overkill, but wanted something that would be a great ride for the boat. We thought we had a home built trailer, but turned out not to be the case (see other text). We used that design for the under carriage. Everything else is custom.

Dan in TN

PS: Have another AT (rear cockpit) that is going to be next. On a Tee Nee trailer!

1953 Arkansas Traveler BF HD Utility 6 years 3 months ago #135156

Interesting... I guess that kinda puts us in the same boat, sort-of-speak. I still have my fathers 1955 HD14, which he purchased a year before I came along. It sits in storage most of the time along with the original 25hp Evinrude. This is the boat that I learned to ski behind. Now days, I put a 7.5hp merc on the back and putt around lake of the ozarks when I want to go fishing from a boat. I have other projects that I have been working on while this just continues to sit in the back of my head/garage. I have wondered what it would look like all polished up, so I want to extend a big huge THANK YOU for posting your pictures. It just looks awesome!!

1953 Arkansas Traveler BF HD Utility 5 years 9 months ago #136830

Whose is going to Tomahawk? I am planning to be there with my boat & Lark. We talked about 6 months ago. Been thru some health issues, but got all my reservations made. Hope to see & meet some of you guys there.

Dan in TN

1953 Arkansas Traveler BF HD Utility 5 years 9 months ago #136832

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I missed meeting you last year, but I think I got you in a movie passing by shore when I was filming a hydro. I will try for Thursday or Friday and introduce myself. Wishing you good health and safe travels!

Dr.Go!

1953 Arkansas Traveler BF HD Utility 5 years 9 months ago #136833

I'm a big guy (6'3"). I'm bald from lymphoma (in remission) so should be easy to spot. I'll have to wear a hat with full coverage. Walk like a duck, but I plan to be there. If the boat's there (and I plan for it to be) you will be able to pick it out. Look forward to meeting you & any other FiberGlassics members.

Dan in TN

1953 Arkansas Traveler BF HD Utility 5 years 9 months ago #136834

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I will look for the boat, so should be easy to spot you at 6 foot 3. I am about your same height and will also wear a big brimmed hat. Hope to see you and others there. Time for me to make my small shopping list. Take care!

Dr.Go!

1953 Arkansas Traveler BF HD Utility 5 years 8 months ago #136893

• jon_a
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
that's a beauty Dan- I have a 1954 Sporstman Utility that I just got the new wooden gunnels into, need to haul it back to KY from NH where it's been in storage.
Attachments:

1953 Arkansas Traveler BF HD Utility 5 years 7 months ago #137146

We are at Tomahawk! Made the trip fine until 2.5 miles from hotel. Suffered a blow out. Damaged the right fender. Next morning found out we have a wear issue with the tires. Got new tires to come home on.
Rained yesterday, but looking forward to running boat today. Hope to see you Dr. Go.

Dan in TN/WI
Attachments:

1953 Arkansas Traveler BF HD Utility 5 years 7 months ago #137150

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Dang. Sorry to hear that. I hope to be there today by afternoon so I will keep an eye out for you. I look forward to meeting you!

Dr.Go!

1953 Arkansas Traveler BF HD Utility 5 years 7 months ago #137158

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Stopped by to meet t2stroke, but missed you. Met your friend and saw the rig. What a beautiful boat and trailer. Wish you safe travels getting back home.

Dr.Go!

1953 Arkansas Traveler BF HD Utility 5 years 7 months ago #137161

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
That'll buff out.
Time to do a little alignment on the trailer, ruler and carpenter square.
Here's an interesting discussion on boat trailer alignment that might help you out.

www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/ftlgeneral_904265/

1953 Arkansas Traveler BF HD Utility 5 years 7 months ago #137163

Sorry I missed you Dr. Go! Probably out hunting for something. The boat is in the arena for now if anybody else shows up? We ran it yesterday for the first time. After dialing in the carburetor from its recent rebuild the motor ran flawlessly. My fortunes have finally turned. That was the first time the motor had been run since 1965. (Ohio registered). After a little limbering up it turned 5200 RPM with an 11" pitch prop (one person) on the reed tach. We will put on a 12" today. That should be about right with two people & the rest of the gear.
Sure brightens your spirits just to get out on the water. Helps your atitude also!

Dan in TN/WI

1953 Arkansas Traveler BF HD Utility 5 years 7 months ago #137167

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I saw you heading for the landing to put it in the water. Glad to hear it performed as good as it looks. Pictures of it look great, but if people get the chance to see it up close in the arena display, their jaw might drop to the floor. Your work and all of the details are amazing!!! Love what you have done with it! Kudos to you on your masterpiece! It is really worth seeing in person to really appreciate it.

Dr.Go!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.307 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat