Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: NEED INFO/BROCHURE I.D. ETC. FOR MOHAWK BOAT

NEED INFO/BROCHURE I.D. ETC. FOR MOHAWK BOAT 7 years 4 days ago #130992

• case
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I HAVE BEEN AROUND FIBERGLASSICS FOR OVER 10 YEARS AND HAVE NEVER BEEN STYMIED UNTIL NOW. I HAVE JUST PURCHASED AN ALUMINUM RUNABOUT...A 15' MOHAWK DOUBLE COCKPIT (WITH WALK THRU FRONT SEAT BACKS) AND A SPLASH WELL. IT SEEMS VERY ODD TO ME THAT NO INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE FOR IT AS THEY MUST HAVE MADE A LOT OF BOATS. ALL I CAN FIND IS THAT THEY WERE MADE IN AMSTERDAM, NY FROM THE 50'S UNTIL THE EARLY 70'S. ANY GUIDANCE WILL HELP. WILL FOLLOW UP TOMORROW WITH SOME PICTURES.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

NEED INFO/BROCHURE I.D. ETC. FOR MOHAWK BOAT 7 years 3 days ago #131007

There's a little bit of dialogue about "Mohawk" boat company here on FG - I can't search from this computer, but I think I can post pics - I have a 15 footer, model name "Station Wagon" (got that from an electronic scan of a catalogue from somebody here many years ago - can't find it or him). Apparently there were a number of Mohawk's in business - I believe mine is a 1958 from the Amsterdam NY company. One of the distinctive features is the curved piece that forms the bottom of the dashboard - never seen it in any other boat.

Mine's the blue and white one with the tailfins.

The emblem is a screen grab from an ebay auction that I missed.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: case

NEED INFO/BROCHURE I.D. ETC. FOR MOHAWK BOAT 7 years 3 days ago #131008

• case
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hello Bill: It appears as though we may have a path towards finding more information on the MOHAWK BOAT COMPANY. With some diligence it is possible to get the information...probably from a historical society or business directory around the Amsterdam, NY area. Since so little is known to FG I will push on with the quest. I have attached some pictures of my boat to this email. I am reasonably certain it is a 1957 as the Holsclaw trailer is that year and the 18 HP electric start Evinrude (which I have removed to start renovations) is a 1957 also. I have the MOHAWK side emblems off and have them ready for paint. When I get more info I will post it here. In the mean time let me know if you find out more too.
Attachments:

NEED INFO/BROCHURE I.D. ETC. FOR MOHAWK BOAT 7 years 3 days ago #131009

• case
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Here are a couple more pictures of my MOHAWK runabout. I need to learn how to make the pictures smaller so they will be accepted by the program for down loading...

NEED INFO/BROCHURE I.D. ETC. FOR MOHAWK BOAT 7 years 3 days ago #131012

• case
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Trying to attach a couple of more pictures.....again.
Attachments:

NEED INFO/BROCHURE I.D. ETC. FOR MOHAWK BOAT 7 years 3 days ago #131013

• case
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
One more try at a picture....

NEED INFO/BROCHURE I.D. ETC. FOR MOHAWK BOAT 6 years 11 months ago #131067

I used to have an aluminum Mohawk runabout. I 've found/saved a few pics that might help.
At some point in the 50s Mohawk was bought, or did buy ??, became part of Wagemaker Boats. They sold Wagemaker, Wolverine, Cadillac, and Mohawk labels. The aluminum models of Cadillac and Mohawk were similar. Try looking through those library sections and looking for pics of those as well.

NEED INFO/BROCHURE I.D. ETC. FOR MOHAWK BOAT 6 years 11 months ago #131080

• case
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Good morning alumaglass: A large THANK YOU for solving my mystery. A couple of your boat pictures match my boat. I was concentrating on the New York boat builder thinking MOHAWK was their moniker. I will now reference the older Cadillac, Wolverine etc. brochures and try to nail down the model. Did you ever find a serial number anywhere on the boat you had...and if so where was it? I found this boat in Michigan so in reality it never was more than a couple of hundred miles from home all its life. Many kudos to FG and its members for this forum...a special high five to you.

NEED INFO/BROCHURE I.D. ETC. FOR MOHAWK BOAT 6 years 11 months ago #131083

Mohawk was building and selling boats before the Wagemaker connection also. I'be seen older Mohawk wooden boats. I'm not sure after the companies melding which group Made the various boats. Along the Way Mohawk did sell wooden, aluminum and fiberglass boats. Also Cadillac sold all three versions. I've not seen Wolverine fiberglass boat but have seen both aluminum and Wooden Wolverines. In 59 or 60 Wagemaker also sold fiberglass, aluminum and wooden boats and then sold them under the "Empire" brand.

NEED INFO/BROCHURE I.D. ETC. FOR MOHAWK BOAT 6 years 11 months ago #131085

..... and some more pics of Wagemakers Brands boats. A couple pics of a couple Mohawk Fiberglass models, and a molded wood Mohawk.

NEED INFO/BROCHURE I.D. ETC. FOR MOHAWK BOAT 6 years 11 months ago #131086

• case
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks again for the extra pictures....now a more complete vision of MOHAWK boats is in my mind. It does appear as though the MOHAWK line followed the boats WAGEMAKER produced. It was the molded plywood boat that convinced me. I guess Mr. Wagemaker envisioned a broader empire. Kind of like Chevy trucks and GMC trucks...they are essentially the same but with different badges.

NEED INFO/BROCHURE I.D. ETC. FOR MOHAWK BOAT 6 years 11 months ago #131148

"New Mohawk Boat Company Will Begin Production Dec 1." is an article title in the "Evening Recorder" newspaper in Amsterdam, NY on 05 November 1965. They took over the former Traveler Boat -Stanray operation which had been scuttled. A.C. Fortner became president of Mohawk which made fiberglass boats. The first boats made were shipped to Cleveland, Ohio in January 1966 for the boat show there. In 1969 Mohawk was reorganized and purchased by Paul Brozyna. However on 11 May 1970 assets of the company were sold at liquidation auction by order of security holder. Fiberglass sailboat maker Linell thermo-Plastics Corp. was also involved in the auction.

Bart Boat Company, Inc. of Amsterdam, NY was considered successor to Mohawk.

Andreas

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)