Additional History needed. Please contact us if you would like to contribute to or edit this page.
Glass Craft Boats, Inc.
Fort Dodge, Iowa
History thanks to Lee Wangstead
Glass Craft Boats was begun by Oral and Willard Musick who sold the company in 1957 and went on to found Span America Boats. The boats had been designed by Ray and Arch Sindlinger who went on to form the Ft. Dodge Boat Co., building and selling Cruise-About Boats. Glass Craft later became Glass Marine Industries of Humboldt, Iowa.
According to the Sheler's Red Book guide, Glass Craft Sportster serial numbers for 1959 begin S49 Plus. Citation and Olympia begin C59 Plus or O59 Plus. 1958 Sportster serial numbers begin 48 Plus. Citation and Olympia begin C-58 Plus or O58 Plus. Imperial models IC68 or IR68 Plus.
In 1958, Glass Craft arranged for the Marine Division of General Implement Distributors, Inc. of Salt Lake City, Utah to distribute Glass Craft Boats in Utah, Nevada, Wyoming, and Idaho.
N.J. Savaiano, president and treasurer of Glass Marine Industries, Inc. acquired the assets, unfinished stock, and trademark of Glass Craft Boats, Inc. of Humboldt, Iowa, with the deal completed by February 1st, 1960. Officials included R. A. "Rod" Schwahn continuing as general sales manager, Jack Willard as office manager, and Carl Zuspan as superintendent. Plans were made to build a 30,000 sq. ft. factory which would triple production facilities (April 1960 Boat & Motor Dealer).
In 1960, Glass Marine Industries announced a deal with Hanley Hydrojet, Inc. to produce a 18' fiberglass jet boat with the Hydrojet drive (May 1, 1960 St. Petersburg Times). Keenan Hanley, inventor of the Hydrojet, was on the board of directors of Glass Marine. Nicholas Savaiano was president of the corporation. 300,000 shares were sold, yielding $451,000 of which $100,000 was planned for plant construction, $50,000 to build up inventory. Litigation ensued as the company came under investigation for mis-use of the stock sale receipts. Accusations were that the company used the money for financing other ventures besides the boat building and marine unit business (Dec. 19, 1960 Milwaukee Journal).
The June 25, 1964 Chicago Tribune reported the merger of Glass Marine Industries, Inc. with Plastic Engineers & Consultants of Costa Mesa, California. The article described Plastic Engineers as operating as Glass Laminates, a builder of fiberglass sailboats. A Nov. 12, 1964 Los Angeles Times article described Glass Marine Industries of Costa Mesa as introducing a line of Columbia-40 sailing yachts designed by Charles Morgan of Florida. This was organized as the Columbia Yachts Division of Glass Marine Industries. Additional history can be found at the following link: http://www.pocoyacht.com/history_columbia.html
1954 Brochure: Thanks to Andreas Jordahl Rhude
1955 Brochure: Thanks to Andreas Jordahl Rhude
1956 Brochure: Thanks to Andreas Jordahl Rhude
Brochure thanks to Andreas Jordahl Rhude, Correspondence thanks to Doug Salva
1957 Glass Craft Runabout Mercury Mark 75 test