• Page:

TOPIC: 1958 Lynman plywood source

1958 Lynman plywood source 13 years 10 months ago #9871

• retro54
  • retro54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all, now I found this site due to my 1960 Lake N Sea, but have also been working on a 1958 Lynman restoration with my father. We are at the point where we would like to replace the Ribbon Mahagony plywood deck, but are not sure of good sources near the Harrisburg, Middletown, PA area, basicaklly here in the North East... does anyone know of any good sources for wood such as this. It seems to me I remember of a marine wood supply company in Maryland's Eastern shore, but can't remember the name, or what the modern equivalent of the type of mahagony veneer plywood would be.

Any help is much appreciated. In the meantime, here are some pictures of the boat.

What we started with...

After some rib repairs.. sand sand sand... stain... varnish varnish varnish...

Now ready for a new deck...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1958 Lynman plywood source 13 years 10 months ago #9875

Retro,
Welcome aboard! I'm afraid I cannot help with a good source for wood since i'm on the wrong side of the country, but I wanted to say that your work is beautiful!
She is shaping right up and will undoubtedly look fantastic when completed. I am sure some others will chime in with more info concerning the wood.

Mike Russon

Re:1958 Lynman plywood source 13 years 10 months ago #9893

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
if you contact Tom Koroknay (Doc Lyman) he may even have the deck parts cut already that you need or Boulter Ply here in Mass or check with your local lumber supply.
Every now and again up here I see folks posting left over Marine ply or other boat timber on Craigslist.
Also grab a Wooden boat mag there are suppliers all over the place in there.

Love it in a Lyman! I have had a few and grew up in one.
Jim

Re:1958 Lynman plywood source 13 years 10 months ago #9935

I have bought mahogany marine plywood here from the Albany NY location of CT Plywood. They have locations all over the NE.

www.connply.com/default.aspx?pageId=1

Best of luck with the Lyman. Great boats!

Frank

Re:1958 Lynman plywood source 13 years 10 months ago #9973

Our local source for mahogany ribbon stripe plywood is Homestead Hardwoods of Vickery, OH. www.marine-plywood.us/ A critical issue is the thickness of the veneer, much of what is sold has a paper thin mahogany veneer that will not stand up to sanding if/when you have to refinish the boat. I have replaced many Lyman decks with planked mahogany, and planked teak to avoid the thin veneer problem on today's plywoods.

Your boat looks great, I look forward to seeing the finished product!

Re:1958 Lynman plywood source 13 years 10 months ago #9990

• retro54
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thank you for all the advice guys, and for the compliments. This is the first time that my father and I have restored a wooden boat.. haha... although he did grow up around them as a kid. HE takes care of making the few new ribs we needed, and he also re-laminated the transom (some small plywood separation was begining to happen) while we both clenaed out the inside and then I sanded and varnished the interior and worked with him to sand downt he solid mahogony seats, and then I refinished them... We use the correct Lyman stain from doctor lynman, and boy did it go on smooth... nice and easy really... and fun. Now after a little break, it's time to finish the boat up.

What species of ribbon mahagony should we be asking these days as a modern equivalent? I've heard of Sapele (SP?) but I've been outa the loop for a few years. I will have to contact Doc Lyman as well. Cheers all!

Andy.

Re:1958 Lynman plywood source 13 years 9 months ago #10564

Today, about the only plywood with a "ribbon stripe" is Sapele. :( Many plywood dealers or hardwood suppliers have it. Its pricey though.
Some feel the ribbon stripe in Sapele is more pronounced than that of the old Phillipine Mahogany. Somewhat depends on how the product is finished. ;)

Paul Morris
Cedar Tree boat Shop
Des Moines,IA

Re:1958 Lynman plywood source 13 years 9 months ago #10739

• retro54
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Crosby, thank you so much.. that should be what we are looking for then... I'll let ya guys know when we get around to purchasing some!

Re:1958 Lynman plywood source 13 years 9 months ago #10765

That's a very nice looking Lyman ! Good luck to you and your father with your restoration. My own father worked for Lyman Boat Co. for a time, in or around Cleveland, Ohio, building lapstrake hulls. Dad worked for them sometime between 1933 and 1941.
While on the subject, I recall a story my dad told me about a "folding boat" that he and a friend built and launched into Lake Erie. They got a few hundred yards out from shore, and sure enough, it folded !

Re:1958 Lynman plywood source 13 years 9 months ago #10784

I've bought from Connecticutt Plywood most recently as they have a local dealer in Albany, and have also ordered from Noah's in the Buffalo/Toronto area. Noah's ships by truck and the delivery gets pretty pricey. What you are going to find though is that the plywood today is a paper thin (literally 1 to 1.5 mil) veneer of mahogany. The original plywood had some thickness to it. You have to be extremely careful in the shop so as not nick or scratch it. The new decks on the Missile came from CT plywood and I was very pleased with the quality. Lyman's a great boat. Would love to own an Islander.

Re:1958 Lynman plywood source 13 years 2 months ago #24010

retro54 You might try klien lumber in charm Ohio They have the douglus fur marine ply. Spanish ceder and phillipine mahogany that I was looking for When I get a chance I'll get you the Phone # Also if you know anyone looking I have two 1948 15' lyman project boats that need a good home Gary

Re:1958 Lynman plywood source 13 years 2 months ago #24018

Sorry I spelled it wrong!! It is Keim lumber in Charm Ohio 888-534-6527

Re:1958 Lynman plywood source 13 years 2 months ago #24023

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Beautiful boat. I have always loved Lymans- I grew up in Sandusky, OH a few blocks from the old Lyman plant, which was, of course, shut down by then. Before it was torn down, I had a chance to go into it and poke around- There wasn't a lot left, but it was interesting still.

My Grandfather worked for them in the 50's- He might have built your boat!

You HAVE to contact Tom Koroknay- He is the go to guy for Lymans. He bought all the factory parts and jigs, and owns tha Lyman trademark. He can supply you with ANY part for that boat, cut from the original factory jigs.

Homestead Hardwoods is an excellent source- Great people, too... I wish I still lived closer to them :)

-Andrew

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.499 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)