Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: No call on my barn find Norseman

No call on my barn find Norseman 9 years 9 months ago #94794

I placed my barn-find Norseman on CL in the Seattle area and I have not received one single response. I thought, that since the boat was built up in the North-West, I would at least get a few leads. I was told earlier the vintage boat market is dead and most collectors already have a garage full of projects. I have a garage full of boats too... Maybe she is not selling because Norseman is such a small name in the boating world. Maybe I should just keep her, because I did meet the original owner and he told me all the cool stories on how he called the factory to buy a boat and they said that there was a waiting list. They later called back and said, that he if he drove up to this lake in Washington from California tomorrow that there was a boat show, it was in 1955, and he could have one of three boats as two had already been sold off the lake.

It seems that boat parts are going for higher prices then complete boats.

Look how clean this Kainer steering wheel is.

How clean is that green Johnson start/choke bezel.

I've seen both of these parts sell on ebay for over $250 each.

seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/4482326332.html

Norm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:I place my barn find Norseman on CL 9 years 9 months ago #94817

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
This is a discussion forum. Your post is obviously a "For Sale" ad and should be placed under "Glassifieds," not here.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:I place my barn find Norseman on CL 9 years 9 months ago #94850

I think I fixed it..Sorry

Norm

Re:I place my barn find Norseman on CL 9 years 9 months ago #94852

• billr
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Norm,
Your boat was designed by George Garlick.
I brought him to a Classic Skagit Boat Club/Fiberglassics NW boat meet about 2002 on Lake Whatcom near Bellingham WA where your boat was built. We had to wheel him out in his wheelchair, the pics might be in the archives here on FG.
He was a great guy, and designed the Dakota and Norseman lines.
We had one Dakota there at the meet, no Norseman boats though. He lamented that most of what he saw were competitor boats! He also made the comment that "nobody even remembers Norseman after the flood of fiberglass in the 50's/60's. It was interesting to hear his perspective. I have some of the Norseman brochures in my collection.

THe old wood boat market is interesting, unless they're a well known brand (Chris Craft, Gar Wood, etc), or have a following in the ACBS circles, they typically don't go for much money. Hardly anyone up here will remember Norseman, or the history of the make. Much less have $3500 to spend on one. So there's a small pool of interested people. Fiberglass boats of the era were made in Much greater numbers, so lots of competition. And as you know if it isn't kept dry, it will degrade quickly.

THere's one up here that is on craigslist every year for about same price as yours, it never sells. And it is nowhere near the condition that I first saw it in some 16 years ago or so.
Anyway, nice to see one in that condition.

Re:No call on my barn find Norseman 9 years 9 months ago #94854

Thank you Billr for the interesting history of Norseman boats. This Norseman I found, even has the original pink slip to prove that I brought her from the original owners. I think the CA state tax was 2 bucks back in 1955. More and more I'm thinking that I should not sell her. I'll never find an obscure "woody" this clean and original and DRY again.

Norm

Re:No call on my barn find Norseman 9 years 9 months ago #95051

I sold the Norseman today to a super nice guy today. It's not the number of calls. but the quality of the caller.

Norm

Re:No call on my barn find Norseman 9 years 9 months ago #95064

normcraft wrote:

It's not the number of calls. but the quality of the caller.

Norm

I'll drink to that! I have a motorcycle on Craigslist right now. Had 5 contacts. 2 were total flakes, 3 were obvious scammers.

Glad you got your boat sold.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)

noimage
03-17-2024

Thunderbird Apache 1956 hardtop
( / Boats)