Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1965 Owens keel replacement

1965 Owens keel replacement 11 years 7 months ago #67648

Helllo folks! First timer here. Let me introduce myself, my name is Bob and I just became the owner of a 1965 Owens 28 foot wooden cruiser. It looks like its plywood over frame construction (pretty simple) and there is some rot in some frame members and the keel, and of course some of the ply. The only thing that scares me is the keel. Everything is bolted to the keel right? So if I have to replace it, how does that happen without the whole mess falling apart? Should I just invite the whole block over now for the bonfire? Who is going to bring the weenies? Seriously though, does anyone know how these things are taken apart without the whole boat falling apart?

I'm also trying to decide, once the rot is taken care of, whether of not to glass over it. Any opinions. On that would be appreciated too. Of course glass means no bonfire...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1965 Owens keel replacement 11 years 7 months ago #67652

Keels usually are fastened from the inside, but your boat may be different. It's my belief that keels are usually the last thing put on, so I would doubt your Owens would fall apart without it, but again, I have no specific knowledge of Owens.

Opinion? Don't glass over it unless you really know what you're doing. Too often folks do this to wooden boats and it either ruins them, reduces whatever value they have, and/or complicates restoration at a future date. If it's not done right, pinholes may let water in making everything worse, or it may not adhere to the wood very well, and create bubbles. Don't get me wrong here, I don't hate fiberglass, I have a boat made out of it.

How about some pics? We all love pics!

Good luck.

Frank

Re:1965 Owens keel replacement 11 years 7 months ago #67722

Hi Bob and welcome!About 30 years ago when I was a young lad I had a 1956 Owens Cruiser.I do remember the keel being bolted on with bronze stovebolt type bolts about 5/8 " in diameter.Perhaps your boat is different?Don't know.Not to sound like a smart azz but we are talking about the keel and not the keelson?If it's the keelson you're looking to replace then I would think a whole lot of strapping will be in your future,however I have never taken on such a project.Like Frank said:We need pics.Good Day,Charlie. :cheer:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7665 guests and one member online