• Page:

TOPIC: wood adhesive question

wood adhesive question 12 years 3 months ago #53334

• bseguin
  • bseguin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Some of you may remember that I had some wet rot issues towards the bow on my Crosby. I cut out the rotted part and got my wood-worker buddy to get a mahogany piece to fit. I just got the piece along with some wood plugs. When I attach the new piece, what adhesive should I use that works best gluing wood to fiberglass? 3M 5200?

Brian
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:wood adhesive question 12 years 3 months ago #53340

A flexible urethane adhesive would be appropriate and 3M 5200 is a good example. Clean the fiberglass surface first, then sand lightly, then clean again.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:wood adhesive question 12 years 3 months ago #53343

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Kind of a related question, Dave/Brian, may be pertinent......I noticed Atwood is now offering "quick setting" urethane adhesive labeled 7200. (Wally world, about $7.50 a tube) Says NOT to use on any parts you may ever want to take apart! I'm wondering if it's really 3M 5200 "fast setting" being sold under "private label", or just creative marketing trying to pick up customers from 3M ?

Mark

Re:wood adhesive question 12 years 3 months ago #53410

MarkS wrote:

Kind of a related question, Dave/Brian, may be pertinent......I noticed Atwood is now offering "quick setting" urethane adhesive labeled 7200. (Wally world, about $7.50 a tube) Says NOT to use on any parts you may ever want to take apart! I'm wondering if it's really 3M 5200 "fast setting" being sold under "private label", or just creative marketing trying to pick up customers from 3M ?

It is possible, Atwood does not manufacture adhesive so they would get it from a manufacturer and re brand. There are a number of manufacturers that make a 7200 urethane. In my opinion (as a previous marketing person at 3m...so my ideas are 10 years old) I doubt it is 3M 5200.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:wood adhesive question 12 years 3 months ago #53437

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
5200, water proof.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8447 guests and 2 members online