• Page:

TOPIC: A Great Loss to Classic Boating

A Great Loss to Classic Boating 12 years 5 months ago #50471

• Nautilus
  • Nautilus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I am saddened to report the passing of my good friend, Creighton "Jim" Lundy, age 89. I always listened for the unmistakeable sound of his 1947 Garwood with "that damned flathead" coming under the bridge on the way over to my dock on his nearly daily trips for "beer and B.S." Jim was a WWII fighter pilot in the Pacific theater and one of the most interesting people I have ever met. His Garwood, "Mom's Mink," which I refinished for him, was purchased new right after the war and lovingly cared for ever since. He was an active lifelong member of ACBS and a fixture here on Lake Keowee, upstate SC. He was a grand old gentleman and I am honored to have known him and to have been his friend.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:A Great Loss to Classic Boating 12 years 5 months ago #50475

Now there was a man I would had loved to talk too. I'm sure he will be missed by many.

Re:A Great Loss to Classic Boating 12 years 5 months ago #50493

We are losing many of these great men each day. Whenever I see a story or an interview with one of these guys, I drop what I'm doing to read it or listen. About 15-yrs ago, I had the privilege of meeting and talking to a man who actually was on the beach during D-Day. When I was in college back in the Jurassic period when there was no internet, I worked part time in a sporting goods store and the manager was the toughest, gnarliest "old man" I had ever met. He even had a large scar from a bullet in his abdomen from when he was in Belgium. He was already in his 60s and had a major heart attack and bypass surgery. He could still kick my arse. I have retold his stories many times over the years and his legacy lives on through some of the ones that can't be printed here. BTW, I believe there is a Tuskegee Airmen documentary coming out soon by George Lucas.

2011 MALAHINI LAUNCHED 28 SEPT 2011

Lake Chatuge, GA

Re:A Great Loss to Classic Boating 12 years 5 months ago #50495

I'm truly sorry to hear that. It's never easy loosing a friend. It's also ad when we loose great American vets. I'm sorry for your/our lose.

Bob

Re:A Great Loss to Classic Boating 12 years 4 months ago #50827

Great Man, Great Loss!

Re:A Great Loss to Classic Boating 12 years 4 months ago #50832

i'm asking permission (through nautilus) from his family to enter the pic of him in his garwood in the calendar. i have 1 spot open.

Re:A Great Loss to Classic Boating 12 years 4 months ago #50846

Great idea Ron!

Bb

Re:A Great Loss to Classic Boating 12 years 4 months ago #51276

Men women such as your friend fascinate me. I can only imagine how much fun it must have been to know him.

My father was also a WWII fighter pilot, flying Hell Cats off the Enterprise and was trained as a night fighter. My uncle flew P47s. Dad was stationed in Hawaii and on active duty, about to ship out to the pacific, when the war ended. Uncle Bill too was ready to ship out, but was spared by the end of the war.

Neither man talked much about their experiences, until you got them in the same room. Then it was hours of stories, ribbing, and memories. We, the audience, would sit in silence, fascinated, reluctant to say anything least the subject change.

At my fathers funeral a few years ago, a member of the Tuskegee Airmen Squadron showed up. He didn't know Dad. Just showed up. He too was fascinating and I was so honored to meet him and humbled that he would take the time to visit.

I tell all of this not to steal the thread, but in the hope that you can see how I can relate to how your friend will be so missed.

I'd have loved to have heard that Flathead coming up the river.

Re:A Great Loss to Classic Boating 12 years 4 months ago #51281

nautilus,you have my deepest sympathy,the loss of your friend touches many lives,from you and his family,his war buddies,and us here in our boating community.
every veteran we lose is a loss to all of us as a whole.
my uncle is a wounded vietnam vet,thank goodness we didnt lose him,in fact he is here now hunting,he comes here every year and it means alot to me to see him,to lose him would be crushing,so i am glad for every opportunity to see him.
please tell your friends family we are thinking of them,sincerly, john and lorraine

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6971 guests and no members online