Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1960 century Resorter ............................

1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44020

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • OFFSHORE GINGER's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey guys ,after doing fiberglass repair for over forty years And working at many Boat Co's i decided to drag this resorter home and get back to some basic boat building in my spare time .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44021

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44023

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey guys , i will try to show a few pics everyday , and at this point the boat has some new framework , battens , all new coverboards , aft decking , five new planks on both hull sides (Port & Starboard ) with the rest going on ASAP along with one new Transom board , and hopefully another board tomorrow after i pick up my order of African Mahogany to complete the hull side's ,and transom .

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44024

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44030

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44032

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Lookin' great OG, I can almost smell the fresh lumber from here! :laugh:

Mark

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44033

• DaveK
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Keep the work and the pictures coming. I am enjoying your work!

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44039

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
DaveK wrote:

Keep the work and the pictures coming. I am enjoying your work!

Thank you ever so much , and more pics are on the way .

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44042

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
MarkS wrote:

Lookin' great OG, I can almost smell the fresh lumber from here! :laugh:

;) Sure does beat the smell of Fiberglass after grinding all afternoon .......HaHaHaHa

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44050

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Just a word of warning, you must resist the temptation to go try it now. ;) I know I like to test things out every step of the way!

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44067

OG,
She's looking great so far, keep up the good work.. Now for a few questions, what size resorter is she? Where are you getting your Mahogany from? What engine does she have? I ask because I got a 1953 18' Resorter with a 283 Flagship V8 in her. It's not the period correct engine but she should move! I have to redo some planks and need to get some more Mahogany.

Bob

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44086

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Looks like some really nice work. The only advice I could give is for you to restore it YOUR way. Listen not to the purists...make yourself happy and enjoy the hobby. Make wake, not war.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44123

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Nautilus wrote:

Looks like some really nice work. The only advice I could give is for you to restore it YOUR way. Listen not to the purists...make yourself happy and enjoy the hobby. Make wake, not war.

Nautilus , thank you for the sound advice because there are a lot of old timmers here that are retired from Chris ,and if i were to take all of there advice i might just as well have burned the boat and started fresh with all new wood .

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44139

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Waterwings wrote:

OG,
She's looking great so far, keep up the good work.. Now for a few questions, what size resorter is she? Where are you getting your Mahogany from? What engine does she have? I ask because I got a 1953 18' Resorter with a 283 Flagship V8 in her. It's not the period correct engine but she should move! I have to redo some planks and need to get some more Mahogany.

Bob

Bob , my Resorter is a 16 footer with a #165 H.P. Intercepter (formerly Dearborn) Bob ,at the moment i purchase my Mahogany from a friend who owns B&W Woodwork here in town ,and other then that there would be L.L. Johnson out of Grand Rapids MI ,who handles just about anything to everything if it is wood ,and even handles White Oak that is already milled to be used for the chime or keel theworkbench.com . Bob just curious where is your location ?

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44147

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
You have a good start keep it up. How's the bottom? Try not to take any shortcuts because they will come back to bite you. We like pics. There are a few of us Century owners here to defend against the cookie cutters.
Attachments:

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44195

OG,
Thanks, was over to the Century boat show in Manistee this weekend. I live in Southern Maryland, came home to pick up a few things from my step moms in Houghton lake and popped over to Manistee for the show before driving back. I'll check into the LL Johnson site.

Bob

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44263

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Bob , that is so cool , and to tell you the truth my wife , and i over a period of time....... have gone to Tip up Town almost 20 years now !!! Bob ,i get a trade mag for those working in design , construction, and repair called Professional. BOATBUILDER , who also are the publishers of Wooden boat Mag , and offer many places to purchase wood in there Classifed section .Bob , when you get back i hope you will start a new thread on the boat show (Century) in Manistee for all to see , and i hope you took a lot of pics .................yah ..bob ! :woohoo:

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44274

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44275

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44276

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey guys , i was not sure which pic was better ....so i posted both , and the reason being is i wanted to show how much thicker the wood i used for the aft deck , and cover board's are .

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44293

I'm in. Redoing a 1948 Sea Maid and a 1955 Resorter. Question I have on the decks is they are 3/8". I know the rage is to install a plywood layer and epoxy it, and then install the decks. Not original though. I am thinking of resawing 5/4 stock to two 1/2" boards and then planing to make the decks. Will be bleaching much of the deck wood to do the two tone finish and get the new torpedo in. 3 new side side boards needed will be 3/4" planed to 1/2". Still working on pulling the steering wheel. Soaking in WD40. Any one have an idea to pop it off the column? 2000+ bungs pulled and as many screws checked for tightness. The Resorter dash has spread about a half inch on each side. Need to pull in, lift a half inch and fasten. Thoughts on that if you've needed to do it? I love working on these old girls. Anyone ever spent a weekend scraping oil and mung from 63 years out of a bilge? Lots-o-fun!

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44325

OG,
Here's the thread to the pics. As it says didn't get to take too many pics due to extenuating circumstances. www.fiberglassics.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=62&func=view&catid=5&id=42817 Thanks I'll check the Wood Boat magazine classifieds. I was thinking abut subscribing to them anyway. I have a few odd copies from a while back.

Brian,
You can go with the bleached Mahogany but according to the Miklos brothers the Blonde wood is actually "Avendeer" (spelling). That's the natural blonde wood Century used for the bow and stern decks. Didn't know about using the Ply on the decks too, only heard about the bottom. Not exactly sure on the dash spreading. Looking under my dash of mine it looks like someone used long screw stock with washers and nuts on the ends and a toggle in the middle to pull it in! Don't think that was factory. I'll have to address that once I get the bottom done and get the deck boards off. You may want to look at the deck "bracing" (nomenclature) to see if it's split and caused a spread, just a theory.

BOb

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44403

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Bob , thanks for the link , and to tell you the truth i did not even look past my nose on that one .............great stuff .

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44434

Thanks. Wish I could have had more time to take more pics. By the way I miss Tip Up Town a lot. Our cottage was/is just three doors down from the Prudenville public beach, on the water. 80' of brick seawall. My dad moved the cottage to a double lot back in the woods from the center of town and built his retirement house on the lot, with a walkout basement. Dad passed away Christmas 2007 and now she's got it up for sale. I'll miss that place, Excellent location and outstanding view.

Bob

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44467

OFFSHROE GINGER,
Nice work. I am admiring your work. I love wood.
I live northeast of Grand Rapids.
I don't own any wood boats yet. But it is one of my goals.
There are a few wood boat owners on the lake I live on.
B)

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44487

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Elgindave , i live in Holland on lake Mac on the poor side of the street , and just curious what lake do you live on ? Dave thank you ever so much for the kind words and i hope to post more pics of the boat today .

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44523

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44524

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44525

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44527

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey guys , five new planks on this side ,and will post more pics tomorrow of the other side ,and coverboards .

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44531

Very nice looking work. I look forward to following your progress. You are probably already aware of things like electrical and plumbing, but just in case: Since you have most of the side and deck boards off, it sure makes electrical and plumbing work much easier. If you need to drill any holes in frames, access is so much easier. I know from very recent experience just how difficult it is to drill holes large enough for fuel lines, control cables and battery cables into frames when the hull and deck are finished. My fuel tank is up front in the bow and my battery is at the stern. My new fuse panel was up front, so I had to run the thick fuel line down the side to the back and two 4-gauge cables from the back to the front...same thing for all the control cables and wiring harness. I could have saved time and a lot of money on drill bit extensions and expensive forstner bits, hole saws and step bits.

2011 MALAHINI LAUNCHED 28 SEPT 2011

Lake Chatuge, GA

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44556

OG,
She's looking great, keep up the good work.

Bob

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44592

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Limulus , thank you for the complement ,and the sound advise .

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44593

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Bob thank you,and could you post a pic of your resorter please.

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44665

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44860

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Bob , thanks for sharing , and what a great read .Bob sure is nice to have someone include all that Mahogany with the sell .

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 7 months ago #44930

Yeah it sure was. Can't really use the narrow planks though, if I'm going to go with the original bow and stern deck but we'll see. I don't think they're wide enough anyway, unless I use 1/8" ply then put them on the decks but it would have to be bleached and then still not correct from what I found out from the Miklos brothers.

Bob

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 6 months ago #46053

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
( FOR....... THOSE INTERESTED ) Hey guy's i just pulled my 3-M Masking Film , and thought i would post a few pics of the new transom board that i threw on yesterday afternoon along with a few other pics of the new boards that were also added to the hull side .

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 6 months ago #46054

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Re:1960 century Resorter ............................ 12 years 6 months ago #46055

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.313 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)