• Page:

TOPIC: Wooden boat in the desert?

Wooden boat in the desert? 1 month 2 weeks ago #133917

• kewpie79
  • kewpie79's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I know very little about wooden boats. I live in the desert in New Mexico and I have a chance to buy a pristine 1957 yellow jacket. My question is would the dry climate destroy the boat? It has a painted bottom. Is this the type of boat you have to soak before taking it out, or do anything else to before launching? Thanks for any info.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wooden boat in the desert? 1 month 1 week ago #133948

I may be wrong, but I believe Yellow Jackets are a plywood hull to make them lighter. My '59 Thompson is lapstrake made of Douglas Fir plywood. The advertised dry weight for my 17' hull is only about 800 #. That being said, plywood hulls do not need to be "soaked". The plywood will not expand and stop leaking. Plank bottomed boats, such as Centurys and Chris Crafts, on the other hand do need to be soaked to get the planks to swell. If a plywood boat leaks that means there is seam leaking, usually under the outer keel.
As long as the paint and finish is in good shape, the dry climate should not hurt the boat. In fact, it probably is good for it by pretty much eliminating the possibility of standing water and rot.
I assume someone else will pipe in if I am wrong.

JMHO,
Bill

Wooden boat in the desert? 1 month 1 week ago #133970

Yep Bill's right I believe the Yellow Jackets were ply so no problem there. Check the seems well and make sure there are/were no leaks or rot started. The dry climate should be fine. Go for it! ;)

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds

FG Login

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Wanted Fleetform Runabout 14'
( / Wanted)

noimage
10-19-2017