I have just finished disassembling my 1960 Highlander tilt trailer for my Glasspar G3. It has been with the boat since it was new and has surface rust. I'm taking it to a sandblaster soon.
Here's what I'm planning on doing:
2) Roll it with an epoxy that the boat shop says will seal it up
3) Paint it with Rustoleum cans so I can always match it myself
4) Take the fenders to a body shop to take out a couple dents
5) Replace rollers
6) Chrome the hub caps
7) new bearings
8) I already had the leaf springs rearched a year ago so I may have them sandblasted too and powdercoated instead of paint
I wonder if I'm doing the right things. I'm concerned with safety. For example, the axle is 52 years old, so should I replace it and with what? I tried to replace the coupling a few years ago but the welder (a trailer guy) talked me out of it because the one I have on it is a better mechanism. I'd like to replace nuts, bolts, washers, U-bolts but want to make sure I buy the hardest bolts.
I'm just looking for some advice and validation if I'm approaching this correctly. I want to do it once and let it work for the next 50 years.
That being said, I wouldn't do that unless yours is bent or badly rusted, or the spindles are worn out or something else major. I guess metal fatigue could be a factor, but if it's not showing any signs of failure I believe I'd carry on with the restoration. Looks like you're going at it the right way, good luck with it and please keep us posted on your progress.
If you have the capacity to spray -then I would use Rustolium Metal primer then you can buy Rustolium paint by the Qt. that also comes in cans so you can touch up and also do the small parts. Using Rattle cans for the whole trailer is going to cost alot and you have a harder time to get it to come out even and smooth and match . Just my two cents I don't know if you live where they have a Les Schwab tire store but they have a little known service where they sand blast the wheels and powder coat for about $30.00 each - well worth it with lots of colors available. I did this for my trailer that I'm working on .
I am doing a similar trailer restoration on a 1963 PAMCO that is used to carry my Glastron JetFlite (similar size to your G3).
I am also restoring the boat and made the decision that the boat and trailer would always be mated, so am modifying the trailer to fit this boat hull and no other.
The following changes are being made to the trailer:
The adjustable rollers and bunks are being replaced by fixed
The winch post is being rebuilt to match the bow angle, lower
the winch position, and will be welded, rather than bolted
to the trailer tongue.
The wheels and tires were replaced with wider, slightly larger,
New fenders are being fitted to cover the larger wheels and
The axle was moved rearward six inches to provide better balance
and towing stability.
All hardware on the trailer will be replaced by stainless steel
The tail lamps will be replaced with LED units and fairings will
be built to enclose the wiring and brackets.
The trailer will be painted with a two-part paint and a clear
coat for durability and easy cleaning.
If helpful, adhesive clear vinyl will be placed on surfaces
subject to impacts by stones or road debris.
The cost of all this is more than I paid for the boat and trailer when new. However, in my judgement, the boat restoration justified doing a similar job on the trailer.
Well, I'm done for now. Some improvements will be made in the future when I find the right tail lights. For now, I have modern tail lights. I also need to do something about the hub caps. I put on bearing buddies and they don't fit under the caps. I'll also replace some rollers because the new ones just aren't perfect.