Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1959 or 1960 Gator trailer rebuild

1959 or 1960 Gator trailer rebuild 12 years 2 weeks ago #58411

I've got either a 59 or 60 (don't think it is newer than that) Gator trailer that I am ripping apart and rebuilding. I've got a number of questions since it was repainted twice and is no longer original color.

First up is the year? I know it isn't a '58 since that had a tubular frame. I have a '60 catalog and it matches but they are only drawings and no real pictures in there. I couldn't find anything online for '59. here is the model number that is on the frame: W-214-40 I'm guessing '60.
W=?
214 is the model
40 = April '60?

I'm going to have it repainted back to yellow and was wondering if anyone knew what color yellow the yellow is? I'm going to bring it in somewhere to have sandblasted and repainted.

Finally, (at least for now) what gets painted which color.
Frame - yellow
springs, axle - black
rims, walking plank - red
winch - ?
handle (seen in pic by dolly wheel) - ?

Thanks, I'll post more as I progress. I have it in a ton of pieces already. Need to find a painter...

-dave
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1959 or 1960 Gator trailer rebuild 12 years 2 weeks ago #58430

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I've restored that trailer!! Well, mine was a 216, so it was a little bigger- But pretty much the same. Here is the thread about it-

www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/13-trailer-talk/6735-1960-gator-trailer-restoration.html#6828

Here is a photo from the catalog I scanned and posted in the reference library-

That's the same trailer, its just shown as the 'super gator' with the cool fenders. Colors would be the same.

The color that I used is Rustoleum Suburst yellow. It's not dead on, but VERY close to the original. The big advantage is it's inexpensive, readily available, AND comes in spray cans too so you always have touchup paint!

-Andrew

Re:1959 or 1960 Gator trailer rebuild 12 years 2 weeks ago #58453

Thanks for the info. I had seen your project somewhere else but didn't see this link. (with the brochure) Looks like everything is pretty much yellow. Gives me what I needed. Nice job on yours.

I still have not seen any info on what the '59s look like. It must be the 16' trailer used the winch stand booster.

Good idea with the spray cans. especially for the touch ups.

-dave

Re:1959 or 1960 Gator trailer rebuild 12 years 2 weeks ago #58507

In the second picture of my original post: The rear bunks are on a rotating bar and that bar has a bend in it. I'm assuming that is supposed to be straight? I'm guessing it got bent at some point over its life. The bend is on the left side (closest to camera)

I'm wondering if it is best left alone or fixed. It would essentially make the left bunk a little crooked.

thoughts?

Thanks.

Re:1959 or 1960 Gator trailer rebuild 7 years 8 months ago #125285

• Eric Z
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi,
Where on the frame did you find the number? I'm looking for one as well.
Thank you

Re:1959 or 1960 Gator trailer rebuild 3 years 8 months ago #142902

I would like to know where the model number and serial is too?

Re:1959 or 1960 Gator trailer rebuild 2 years 5 months ago #145577

My number is on the top of the right side, just in front of the first front cross-member. It's a 214.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6819 guests and 2 members online