Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1976 Chrysler Conqueror SIII barn find.

1976 Chrysler Conqueror SIII barn find. 11 years 2 weeks ago #75186

• l98tpi
  • l98tpi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok it was under a shed in a back yard but its a real time capsule. I will post pictures I took after only a quick power wash, when I figure out how (seems every board has to be a bit different). It has the original 105 motor and EZ loader trailer. It will need a good detailing and a few things fixed. Big issues. The motor has no spark likely not a big deal, if its the CD box its getting a generic Accel CD box. The PO was using a 12 and a 3 gallon (yea huh)portable tanks instead of the built in tank, that needs investigating.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Boats: 76 Chrysler Conqueror S3, 61 Larson Playmate. Outboards: 76 Chrysler 105, 70 Chrysler 70, 57 Evinrude Bigtwin 35, 80 Johnson 35 looper, 74 Chrysler 45, 67 Mercury 650SS, and others.

Re:1976 Chrysler Conqueror SIII barn find. 11 years 2 weeks ago #75195

• l98tpi
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Before and after a quick bath.

After.

Boats: 76 Chrysler Conqueror S3, 61 Larson Playmate. Outboards: 76 Chrysler 105, 70 Chrysler 70, 57 Evinrude Bigtwin 35, 80 Johnson 35 looper, 74 Chrysler 45, 67 Mercury 650SS, and others.

Re:1976 Chrysler Conqueror SIII barn find. 11 years 2 weeks ago #75202

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Looking much better 198, nice project. Welcome aboard, BTW.

Mark

Re:1976 Chrysler Conqueror SIII barn find. 11 years 2 weeks ago #75221

• l98tpi
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks.
Its going to be awhile, several weeks before I can get back on it and diagnose repair and clean polish. I have two 454 Mercruisers I am almost done with to the point of mounting on the transmissions then yobbos at the boat yard can take over. So bear with me on updates. Shouldn't take to much to get it in the water. Not a resto at this point just clean and running.

Re:1976 Chrysler Conqueror SIII barn find. 11 years 2 weeks ago #75328

That boat has beautiful lines, being the 70's guy that Iam, I can say that's rare. Looks like she's doin 50 while on the trailer! Good score!!

Kurt

Re:1976 Chrysler Conqueror SIII barn find. 11 years 2 weeks ago #75329

What was that hull rated for? (HP) Just wondering what she was doing with the 105hp (MPH)if you know? it has very sexy lines. and a nice old EZ loader.

Re:1976 Chrysler Conqueror SIII barn find. 11 years 1 week ago #75335

• l98tpi
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
The BIA plate, and Chrysler was all about BIA regs to beat up the other MFG's which played fast and loose with safety, says 185 HP. Which is low but understandable. What was the biggest outboard up to 76, 100 cu.in. ish? Merc had a 155 hp in line six that was a hot rod, not a family boat engine I think. The first Mercury V6 hit the market in 76 at 175 hp out of 2.0L. But the highest hp Chrysler was 140 (IIRC). My impression is most of the S3's got a 120 or 130 depending on the year. As deep and wide as this hull is and being 18 ft, it will have no trouble with a 2.5 Merc. But I will resist the temptation just run Chrysler's on it. I am thinking about locating a high hp chizzler to run and put this engine on a stand and keep it as is. Maybe a 5cyl Force 150 with a little massage (200hp) painted white with Chrysler decals. :)

I have talked to the original owner who I bought it from (bought it over the phone, it was at his vacation house near where I live). It was rigged this way and sitting on the dealers lot. From reading the Chrysler sales literature, its clear they were pre rigged at the factory. Maybe they were the first to do this, in your face Bayliner. The 105 outboard got a 105hp the 130 a 130 and so on. So my SIII with the 105 is a bit of an anomaly. The PO's son (lives in the house where the boat was) who is older than I remembers the day they bought it and regaled us with tales of skiing behind it. I will talk more with the PO and his son later and get more details.

About the speed, don't know yet. I agree it looks like it is moving fast while on the trailer. But I bet with a 100 hp on a 18 footer, 17 pitch prop, its going to be lucky to break 40.
Mark

Re:1976 Chrysler Conqueror SIII barn find. 10 years 5 months ago #84495

• l98tpi
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
A small update.
Still not in the water. and wont be until spring. I have been through the motor and its good to go except for cosmetics. The usual, clean carbs, impeller, replaced the fuel pump diagram which was the original. Plus some not so much. The CD box literally smoked before my eyes the second time I turned the key on, some jack leg had left a spacer off the prop shaft, I had to make one, the upper half of the two piece foot had a crack running through the snout hole half way along the length likely the result of the Doel fin it had on it. Another bonus the original STEEL gas tank was a rusted out POS that looked passable peering under the bow at it. I got lucky and snagged cheap a used smaller poly tank (17 vs 26 gal) that fits the fill and vent locations great. After taking care of all that I found the floor had now get this... carpenter ants living under it having made a nest in the foam. Also there is a soft spot back under the seat were I didn't see it because of the seats. Any way the ants would have made me take up at least the back 4' any way. The interior vinyl is in good shape but needs to be put on new wood in a couple places. Moral of the story, no matter how experienced you are and how close you inspect nothing turns out as good later as it looked at first.
So the winter project is to replace the bad wood and and refoam. Work on the trailer. Much cosmetic work to do also. See you when the weather breaks. :)

Re:1976 Chrysler Conqueror SIII barn find. 9 years 8 months ago #98314

• l98tpi
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Sill here.
Clarification. The jack leg left the spacer off the prop shaft INSIDE the foot, slop in the shaft. So it had to come apart.

The boat is still sitting under a tarp waiting for the garage to be finished. Doing a major clean out and remodel. Insulation drywall pegboard electrical lighting A/C. So I can work in there year round.

I am going to move this to the projects area when I start on the floor.

Re:1976 Chrysler Conqueror SIII barn find. 8 years 4 months ago #117548

• l98tpi
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Many things get in the way of a boat rebuild. Including a flare up of back problems that put me out for a month and on a cane for a few weeks past that. But I have made some headway. YouTube videos on taking the floor out. More to come.

Re:1976 Chrysler Conqueror SIII barn find. 8 years 4 months ago #117563

as long as your at it and have the time take the head off the powerhead and get it milled 25thousants and you will have a 135 when your done. I did this to my sons 105 and it flys. Cheap upgrade in hp with no jetting required. Now if you want to go to 155hp 35thousants off the head and some carbs off a 135,140,150 would do it. Dont cut more than that off the head as it will drive up your compression to high and then you can't run 92 octane. I learned a lot about mods you can do to these that really make a difference on performance from a guy in wisconsin. If it can be done he has already done it lol.

Re:1976 Chrysler Conqueror SIII barn find. 8 years 4 months ago #117564

Hi 198,

Thanks for posting the vids. I have a 1969 Chrysler 118 waiting it's turn for a rebuild. It has the hydro V hull but I think it will need similar treatment.
Gene

Re:1976 Chrysler Conqueror SIII barn find. 8 years 3 months ago #117581

• l98tpi
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I am going to keep the motor that came on the boat stock. Other than a sneaky ignition upgrade. (there is a video about that too) At 92 c.i. and 105 hp its lightly stressed. It will idle through long no wake zones, not picky about gas, in case I have to fill up at the marina, decent range to, and dead reliable as it is. Likely it will get up to around 40 now the ignition is fixed.

I have other engines I might do a bit of hot rodding on. I remember a post on Scream and Fly where just for fun a guy that had access to a dyno ported lightly (don't recall any compression raise) an 85 HP triple (73 ci) and it did 120 HP on the dyno! Yikes. That's an easy 160 HP if its a 100ci four.

I still haven't got the video installment I have 'in the can' posted. Waiting for a shot at free wifi. :)

Re:1976 Chrysler Conqueror SIII barn find. 8 years 2 months ago #118496

Very cool boat and one of my favorite Chrysler boat models! Great find! I could not agree with you more, that so many (if not every time) the boat always looks much better until you start to unwrap the package when you get home. Lucky for most of the members on this forum, we are not too paralyzed with the discovery of the problem and willing to dive in and bring these early classics back to life for the next generation to own, admire and enjoy.
Great job with the videos and thanks for sharing your neat project. Good luck and Happy New Year.

Re:1976 Chrysler Conqueror SIII barn find. 8 years 2 months ago #118671

• Ronny
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
l98tpi wrote:

Many things get in the way of a boat rebuild. Including a flare up of back problems that put me out for a month and on a cane for a few weeks past that. But I have made some headway. YouTube videos on taking the floor out. More to come.

Great videos just wondering how you were able to post them on here what is the trick
Ronny

Re:1976 Chrysler Conqueror SIII barn find. 8 years 2 months ago #118672

• l98tpi
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
The videos are up on youtube. Then you just paste the links into the post. Easy peasy.

Re:1976 Chrysler Conqueror SIII barn find. 8 years 2 months ago #118673

• Ronny
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks for the heads up

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.469 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)