• Page:

TOPIC: 1973 glastron v173

1973 glastron v173 11 years 8 months ago #66803

• delirious
  • delirious's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
so after the lower unit went fer a crap on my 1960 cutter calypso, my new motor search ended up a whole new (to me) boat. the boat and the 115hp merc tower of power are nearly mint. the biggest issue in its cosmetics is the green vinyl flooring and the top is in need of a back window, 2 side curtains, and some seams redone. is there a supplier of marine flooring that can help? preferably canadian supplier. The 18 gallon fuel tank has been removed, and they used portables. anyone have pics of the original tank?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1973 glastron v173 11 years 3 months ago #73631

There's a good reason the tank was remooved if you have a closed bow 173 like mine. It was installed filler toward the stern, on a slant making it very diffacult to fill as you were always trying to push the fuel up hill, used to take me 10 minutes to force 10 gallons in it. When i got to that point in my restoration i threw the damn thing away, sorry about that now as others may have put it to good use.
Joseph
Attachments:

Re:1973 glastron v173 11 years 2 months ago #74316

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
.DEL,: I just got a Glastron restoration project & can add some
gas tank info here..The prior owner removed the front tank
18" by 36 " by 7" for rust corrosion issue.. He opened it up for
etching process & ADDED three inches of a sump well & extended
the pick -up tube for complete gas feed..A rear mount was also readied for usage... Pic attach below .?..LINK BELOW.

. NEZ,: I agree with you on ease of 6 gal hand portable tanks
& I will initially go this route with my 4 cyl engines.

. I was selling a older red SEARS Saddle tank like this. last summer.. They are popular sith small cruiser type boats to extend
range.. I had another modern bowrider boat for repairs & it had nice corner Alumimum tank.. PIC LINK
s1274.beta.photobucket.com/user/TnBoat/media/100_2579_zps40b50382.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0#/user/TnBoat/media/100_2579_zps40b50382.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0&_suid=13606868729040990450647006861

Re:1973 glastron v173 11 years 2 months ago #74326

Sorry to all "purests" out there but I completely redid my V173 into a modern boat, the only thing I left untouched is the hull. By that i mean the profile remains the same. The gas tank i had made out of aircraft aluminum, 30 gallons and fitted into the belly. Turning two screws i felt i needed the extra cap, also there are 84 miles of nav miles dam to dam out here, and not much in between except for BLM shoreline. All boats trip my trigger so don't get the idea that i would make every classic into something modern. Just had to do this one as it will possibly be my last runabout, a pontoon is on the horizon so grandpa can kickback light the grill and watch the grandkids ski the heck out of the 173.
Attachments:

Re:1973 glastron v173 11 years 2 months ago #74327

Loust pic, heres one from the side
Attachments:

Re:1973 glastron v173 11 years 2 months ago #74328

And the front.
Attachments:

Re:1973 glastron v173 11 years 2 months ago #74329

By the way i have lots of parts left over for this boat if any one needs them, steering wheel, helm, hatch door, kick plates, nose piece, rear endcaps, (nose piece and endcaps polished to a mirror finish), tank filler with chain and cap, anchor light base, and others, just let me know i'll let them go cheep to fiberglassic members.
Attachments:

Re:1973 glastron v173 11 years 2 months ago #74331

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Beautiful job on the Bayflite Joseph, IMHO. I have much respect for the true restorations, but a sweet "Resto Mod" gets my motor going just as well! The "twins" send it right over the top. What size are the Mercs?

Mark

Re:1973 glastron v173 11 years 2 months ago #74370

Mark, thanks for the thumbs up!
The Merc's are 60 hp four strokes, ultra low emission engines, i'm going greener in my old age. The boat isn't quite finished yet, had to have a new wiring harness made a bit longer, can't just splice in wires any more like the old days, boats sporten Merc's latest digital gauges, gps speed, nav, and more, haven't gotten thru the manual yet, about as big as a bible. And changeing the fuel fill to a two inch od unit, other than that i just need to experment with props, and make a windshield. Hoping to finish it before the begining of March as I have a job in Liverpool England starting the tenth and will be gone for a month. At least Liverpool is a maritime town and there are all sorts of watercraft to keep me busy, I have been working there for a few years off and on and have quite a few boating friends there, looking forward to sharing my finished product they have been hearing about for the last two years.
Anyway thanks again, and by the way i remember well those 15 footers back in the day, such fun, love the way yours looks!
Happy Boating!
JV
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.832 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)