Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: what kind of boat is this

what kind of boat is this 11 years 11 months ago #61229

Hey all, im new to boating and , my fathers neighbor has a boat for sale and its a steal. he has no paperwork on it and is unsure what kind of boat it is. Ide like to get it for a project ( im an upholsterer for a living). he says it floats, doesnt take on water, just need an interior, paint and a motor. But i just want to make sure i can get certain parts for it still, so i need help identifying it here is a link to the pics.

imageshack.us/g/641/boat4s.jpg/
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:what kind of boat is this 11 years 11 months ago #61267

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
If it's free get it. Check the transom and floor for soft spots, rotting wood etc. For a no motor bad interior hull I wouldn't go more than $50.

Re:what kind of boat is this 11 years 11 months ago #61286

• capy235
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
No paperwork means no title. Could be a big problem depending on the state you live in. Sometimes possible to claim homemade status from parts but investigate first.

Re:what kind of boat is this 11 years 11 months ago #61290

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
You're an upholseter? Stick around, if you are looking for work. This site is loaded with folks restoring classic boats--many of which need interior work.
AS for the boat, I'm no expert, so I have no idea of the make or the value, but keep in mind that cheap project boats are plentiful, and you are certain to find that the time and money spent is not easily recouped. So, make sure its something that you really want, or keep searching for other candidates. [...just my $0.02]

Re:what kind of boat is this 11 years 11 months ago #61297

If you like it , than that's the one you should buy.

But make sure you can't live with out it. Because it takes a lot of time and money to restore a boat. I fell in love with mine at first sight, and knew it was the perfect match for me.

If my wife see's this: (Just like you dear.)

1963 Starcraft 14' Ranger

Re:what kind of boat is this 11 years 11 months ago #61300

If the boat is 1973 or newer, look for the MIC (Manufacturer's Identification Code) on the outside of the transom, starboard (right) side. It will be a 12 digit code starting with three letters and a series of numbers and another letter...

The first three letters are a code for the manufacturer. The last part is a code for the month and year built and/or model year.

Post the results here and we can decipher it for you.

If built prior to November 1972 it will NOT have this 12 digit code.

Andreas

Re:what kind of boat is this 11 years 11 months ago #61301

im goin to look at it either thursday night or friday . ill post results afterword.

Re:what kind of boat is this 11 years 11 months ago #61306

well if its older than 73 and doesnt have a mic what do i need to take to the sec of state (DMV) since all i need is a bill of sale and mic???

Re:what kind of boat is this 11 years 11 months ago #61307

Depending on the price, it might be better to find a boat with a motor. A package deal can be cheaper than buying it by the piece. I bought mine as a bare hull on a trailer. I only paid $80 and the boat had a registration. I'm having trouble finding a cheap larger motor for my boat that doesn't require a 12 hour roundtrip drive.

As Capy said, some have had trouble getting a replacement registration. Depends on the state. Some will go with bill of sale, some not.

Re:what kind of boat is this 11 years 11 months ago #61311

my fathers got a johnson 65 hp outboard for me, just sitting in the garage, i can have.. , also michigan requires at least a bill of sale

Re:what kind of boat is this 11 years 11 months ago #61412

Hi,
I do not have literature handy, but it looks like an Arrow Glass brand to me. If I locate my literature, I may be able to comment a little stronger.
The trailer appears to be a Shoreline brand.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:what kind of boat is this 11 years 11 months ago #61434

the guy im gettin it from found the weight rating tag in the glove box, its an invader something

Re:what kind of boat is this 11 years 11 months ago #61485

the mic number is XVA56490175

Re:what kind of boat is this 11 years 11 months ago #61503

im thinkin bout starting a rebuild thread on this..... i did a quick run through after parking it next to the garage.. the floor is soft, bouncy soft. it also needs some small holes filled through out the hull. this weekend im goin to take the windshield off, all the upholstery ( whats left of it), and the trim ( hooks, handles, ladder, etc).

Is there a thread on here or somewhere where it can walk me through on redoin the floor?? also do i have to split the boat????

Re:what kind of boat is this 11 years 11 months ago #61504

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Check out the projects link, there are many good ways to redo the floor and most of the members post step by step process. Good luck on you new project and like the man says, we are two year olds, like many pictures, lots of pictures.
Cal

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)