• Page:

TOPIC: Re-doing a transom

Re-doing a transom 12 years 6 months ago #48917

• Matt
  • Matt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
So wondering how those on here have or usually tackle a transom rebuild?

I was originally going to separate deck and hull?

been getting other feed back to cut out the splash well area?

this is my first (repeat 1st) project and well don;t want to botch it up to where I'll never finish.

The boat is a 72 Tahiti. I have posted pics on here previously of the project.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !

Re: Re-doing a transom 12 years 6 months ago #48937

Boats in the belfry site-"Kevfin" has some good ideas. Due to condition of all other components on my project. I will be removing transom from inside. Leaving the hulls together and leaving the original outside fiberglass of transom. Dave in Illinois

Florida's Amphicar restoration destination

Re: Re-doing a transom 12 years 6 months ago #48941

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
this is what I'm trying to avoid.... i want to either remove the deck or cut the splash well out to gain the access I need to get it out and in with 'lil frustration..i'll have enough of that with the re build.

Matt in Illinois

Re:Re-doing a transom 12 years 6 months ago #48948

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Pulling the deck off IS a little intimidating for us "first timers" Matt, but I believe it will make it easier for you in the long run! You have floors to do as well, and maybe stringers? I struggled with this decision just like you are, and my transom had already been replaced! There just isn't much room to work inside with the deck still on, and I trusted a good friend's advise and pulled her apart. Very glad I listened, it makes structural work so much easier. Come-a-longs, engine hoists, block and tackle, and planning ahead are your friends. (Not to mention the gang here, BTW.) Split her buddy, you'll be glad you did in the long run. Just my two cents worth, I'm still learning every day, every way. :P

Mark

Re:Re-doing a transom 12 years 6 months ago #48954

My "first" on my own transom rebuild was a 70s 16' sidewinder low profile. I did the splashwell cut, as the s/winder's transom only went in the middle, I bought the boat for 350.00 so I wasent out much if I messed it all up. I did learn alot......mostly what I did wrong.
1st thing was, I didnt clean off ALL the old wood to clean glass.
you must grind all old wood off to clean pure glass,not to deep though.
2nd thing I did was I used....treated wood........unless treated wood is several years old and dry, resin usuly wont stick for long. And mine only stuck for about 4 drives, I heard a pop and a creek and then the wood was seperated from the hull,though still strong and covered non the less it wasent attached.
3rd thing I did wrong was,when I tried to just refitt the splashwell I didnt grind the "crack" area at all, I used some screws and washers to level it and glassed it from below and removed the screws and filled in the "crack" , months later it looked crappy but it did hold.
I used this boat for several years but I had to use some angle iron on top and a aluminum pad on the back to keep it tight, It ran in the low 50s with its 115 merc and an 18p chopper, but I knew in my head I did it wrong. not so much the splashwell cut but the rest was a "learnd" experiance, Ive done several boats since and all of them came out very good.
Attachments:

Re:Re-doing a transom 12 years 6 months ago #48963

Do you have pics of splash well you are describing?

I used this boat for several years but I had to use some angle iron on top and a aluminum pad on the back to keep it tight, It ran in the low 50s

Also I dont understand what you mean by adding angle iron to keep it tight?

Thanks Dave

Florida's Amphicar restoration destination

Re:Re-doing a transom 12 years 6 months ago #48970

Dave, that is the only pic I have that comes even close to the splashwell, I did it before digital camers where commen,

I cut 2" wider than the transom cap and went into the well area about 12", a rectangle cut, it gave me axcess to all the transom area. The angle iron went "later" across the top and a flat, the same width and bolted at both ends and the top holes by the transom clamps, the lower was just an old peice of aluminum pad. I also ran a 2x4 on the inside across-on end, and bolted the lower holes through it. before I did all that the transom was....rubbery, this tighened it up and when I used the trim it actualy lifted the bow.

Re:Re-doing a transom 12 years 6 months ago #48991

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I'm not sure if I'm going to pull the deck..was really wanting to but starting to thing cutting out the splash well area should give me plenty of room..
I'd hat to admit this but i'm not a very big guy, and there seems to be enough room for me to work...the nose may be a challenge but I think I'll be ok.

I read the runabout renovation book....several times on replacing at transom..and the section on separating the deck and hull, well what i read and doing it seems kind of like night and day...

I managed to get the gauges out today, windshield off and safely tucked away and cut back about 2' of the floor back by the transom...

Guess I should start a rebuild thread perhaps?

Matt in Illinois

Re:Re-doing a transom 12 years 6 months ago #48992

go for it Matt, how bout a pic to start.

Re:Re-doing a transom 12 years 6 months ago #48997

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
ponyboy i started new thread..and will try and keep photos up dated as I go along... will get some up of the floor next.

Matt in Illinois

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)