TOPIC: 1972 Tahiti Torino

1972 Tahiti Torino 12 years 6 months ago #46891

• Matt
  • Matt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
in my other thread I was asking questions about a Tahiti 16SS
well i went and looked at it wasn't what i really was hoping for, but was what I pictured ... will need it all I guess hope I didn't mess up .. has original seats can use for patterns if i choose that route, and dash and gauges all look original too... thinking it was powered by an OMC engine earlier, has a late 60's 65hp ob on it now..was lucky somewhat, no key but one of my control boxes at home had a match....my only fear no paper work...so need to figure how to make this in my name and title it before i get knee deep in it........

where it was sitting:

at home:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !

Re:1972 Tahiti Torino 12 years 6 months ago #46916

titleing is super easy... wi dnr will let you register anything under 16' without any paperwork. You can even do it online. Cost you $22 plus $1 convinence you will get your stickers in about 4-5 days. Then if you wish, you use that to register in IL. Did it with my hydrocycle and my G3.

As for the trailer... you might be able to get away with a bill of sale from Wi since they dont title trailers but, Il has become a real pita with trailers.

Re:1972 Tahiti Torino 12 years 6 months ago #46919

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
jetboat is that 16' and under or 15' and under?
the boat is a 16'
How about getting an Illinois Certificate of ownership or Title?
Once I have title regeristration is nothing.

The boat was last registered in Michigan? wndering if I should start there? Illinois is road block road block after road block, I think..
Since the boat is supposed to be a '72 no hull ID# think these came along later.

Matt in Illinois

Re:1972 Tahiti Torino 12 years 6 months ago #46920

16 and under...

Register it in wi, then take the registration they send you and send it in to Il and you will get your Il title and registration.

you'll need a hin... a random smattering of numbers works just fyi

Re:1972 Tahiti Torino 12 years 6 months ago #46925

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
only thing i don;t understand is that when you are getting the boat titled to you (new title) you are supposed to surrender the old title? what do you do on this? or since the registration is in your name they don't ask?

A bit confused I guess.

Matt in Illinois

Re:1972 Tahiti Torino 12 years 6 months ago #46946

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Matt , great project and just the right size ....yeah man .... Matt , getting the boat titled is very easy , and just a matter of running the M C numbers thru the computer which after that really only involves paper work ....signing this and signing that to reasure the State that it is not stolen before they issue you a new title. Matt , if i can be of any help during the restoration feel free to ask . Artie

Re:1972 Tahiti Torino 12 years 6 months ago #46950

wi doesnt title boats... Therefore the Wi reg tag works as your title.

Ive done it twice here in Il and I know a few guys on here followed my advice and did it in NY. Whats funny, it was the WI DNR that told me how to do it.

Technically, once its registered in WI, you dont even need to reg it in IL.

Re:1972 Tahiti Torino 12 years 6 months ago #46981

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Artie:
I was thinking about splitting the hull & deck? is this more work that I should do?
I read the runabout renovation (several times over) and transom repair he walks you through splitting the boat? I think if think it through I can hoist it due to my 9' wall in my garage, other option is to build a crib around it and lift and set on 2x4s on the crib... make sense?
And deffinetly will look you up through this project, either for moral support or to regain my sanity.

Jetboat & Artie:
Boat is a 72 i looked around no Hull ID#?
There is though a Serial # on CG tag?
If there is no Hull ID# not sure what to do on that?

Matt in Illinois

Re:1972 Tahiti Torino 12 years 6 months ago #46988

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Matt , deck off restorations are so much easier considering ..... most likely down the road............... you just might not have a option depending on how bad everything really is ....Transom , Stringer's floors , ext , ext . Matt , i will shoot you my phone number and if you like ..... i can , and will talk you thru this repair or restoration , and feel free to ask my friend . Matt ,is the hull I.D. on the upper , right side of the Transom , and by the way i was born and raised in farm country , Soy beans , corn , Sugar Peets , ext , and i sure miss that right about now.............

Re:1972 Tahiti Torino 12 years 6 months ago #46992

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
We pulled the motor off tonight, and there is no tag back there?
I even looked on th alum rail to see if there was anystampings..not

My Arrowglass has one but its a '77 was thinking they didn't start the HID until after '75?

Was reading over on Performanceboats.com similar deal, (old post) '71 Tahiti no Hull ID# and the CG tag is blank, serial number but no other numbers are stamped or visible.

only downfall that has been brought to my attention was the windshield...karstens over on 2 other sites mentioned that when people attempt to remove the windshield they end up cracking it? not good.

Matt in Illinois

Re:1972 Tahiti Torino 12 years 6 months ago #47001

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
so i started to investigate the WI reg. method...roadblock!

Wisconsin titles boats that are 16' or greater. Additional information is required to be submitted to complete the registration. Please enter all information. You will be provided with a Pending Transaction Checklist that identifies the required information. The DNR Copy of the Pending Transaction Checklist should be printed and submitted with the additional information and payment to DNR. In addition, the Applicant Copy of the Pending Transaction Checklist will serve as your Temporary Operating Receipt.

So after a bit of navigating around the site..i put in the info as it asked for for title? it took everything?
ORIGINAL BOAT 16 OR MORE & LESS THAN 26
SALES TAX
ORIGINAL BOAT TITLE
Total $55.75

should I do it?

Matt in Illinois

Re:1972 Tahiti Torino 12 years 6 months ago #47010

personally, it would become a 15.9" boat... I bet if you measure it, its closer to that anyway.

Re:1972 Tahiti Torino 12 years 6 months ago #47022

forgot to metion this before... Old boats were measured tip to tip... new boats are measured bow hook to transom. Therefore, an old 16' boat by modern measure is more like a 15' boat. Thats more wisdom from the Wi dnr.

Re:1972 Tahiti Torino 12 years 6 months ago #47026

• Nick
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey Matt,
New toy? Anyway Hull ID numbers began late 72... Good luck with your title issues as I have a similar problem I am dealing with and it is a PITA... I will NEVER buy another boat that doesn't have legal and correct paperwork with it. Unless it is Rare or something I have to have and am willing to wait it just isn't worth it.

Good luck ...

Re:1972 Tahiti Torino 12 years 6 months ago #47095

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Jetboat:
I plug'd in a bunch of info last night and it seemed to take, course last step was payment...which now I may measure it out.
My Arrowglass was originally titled as 16' when I had the title redone in my name I had it titled as a 15' since it measured on'y 15'6" ..plus boats under 16' in Illinois no sales tax.

@ Nick:
Your not from Illinois are you? thats what I'm trying to avoid, if it costs me an extra $50 for a title I think I'll pay vrs the long drag out with my DNR in Illinois..

Matt in Illinois

Re:1972 Tahiti Torino 12 years 6 months ago #47422

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
i folded guys, i called regional office . CPO should be calling to set up appointment to come inspect and perform
inspection to ensure its not a stolen ride...will keep posted on results.

Matt in Illinois

Re:1972 Tahiti Torino 12 years 6 months ago #47463

how are you going about the trailer? Il changed the home built laws making it about impossible and I have a couple I want to title.

Re:1972 Tahiti Torino 12 years 6 months ago #47468

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Not sure on that yet?
I heard the same, like needing pictures of the build or something?
So can one pull the axles and tongue show it in 3 pieces, put it together, and create a home built title?

Since the boat was reg in Mich. I'm assuming that the Mich doesn't require plates?

I have a friend who just moved up into Mich, so thinking about seeing if he'll help me out..plus his dad lives there too.
Other option is that I have a friend in Wi that I think would help me out if need be....

Last resort, look for a different trailer to use, local marina get them in from time to time..

Matt in Illinois

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.359 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)