Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to update the steering system on my 1969 Glast

How to update the steering system on my 1969 Glast 3 months 3 days ago #148599

Hi all, I (Dave) just joined and am updating a 1969 Glastron fish-ski boat (14.5'). It has a 50HP Yamaha 2cycle motor and the original cable and pully steering system for a starboard side console. It is very worn and needs replacing. I'm looking for a newer rotary or possibly hydraulic system that will bolt in with minimum, or no, structural modifications to the console. Recommendations?

Hi again fellow GTRON aficionados, I wanted to add to my recent post on the forum that the Glastron I just bought and am looking forward to restoring and going fishing in was probably made in 1968 instead of 1969 as it is identical to a photo I found of a Fish N Ski V-146 14.5' boat made in 1968. I was at a boat shop recently and the mechanic mentioned that the original steering mechanism is worn and dangerous and should be replaced and or at least repaired. I certainly agreed however he said the newer hydraulic and rotary systems wouldn't fit under the dash and the whole dash and steering wheel panel would need to be modified to make room for a newer system. I prefer to avoid this and would like to keep it original so I'm asking if anyone in the group can advise me if any newer steering mechanisms will fit or where I might find a newer set of the original pullies and cables for the steering system. The motor on the boat is a 50HP Yamaha 2-cycle. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have. Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)