• Page:

TOPIC: Not so rare Classic Boat disease

Not so rare Classic Boat disease 13 years 9 months ago #11100

• 59Banshee
  • 59Banshee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Have come down with a nasty case of Classic Glass!
I recently bought a 1959 Bellboy Banshee boat to restore (my first ever boat)
and in the process of chasing down parts and information, I have found and subsequently purchased another Bellboy - this time a 1961 265 Runabout

My friends and partner think I have a problem and there must be a therapy group to stop my enjoying this addiction so much. I log on here for support and find it is a very common problem! no help here!
Cheers
Matt
:) :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Restoration project - 1959 Bellboy Banshee with 1960 Evinrude Starflite 75hp

Re:Not so rare Classic Boat disease 13 years 9 months ago #11101

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

My friends and partner think I have a problem and there must be a therapy group to stop my enjoying this addiction so much. I log on here for support and find it is a very common problem! no help here!

Yeah, it's kinda like asking the local wine-o to be your sponsor at an AA meeting. I just tell 'em it could be a lot worse........... ;)

Mark

Re:Not so rare Classic Boat disease 13 years 9 months ago #11103

• 59Banshee
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Mark, they have been very understanding, I also have a classic Car (severe) addition, and a Classic Caravan (Trailer home) (mild) addiction, now the latest in a long line of problematic hobbies is the Classic Glass, lucky I have very understanding friends and a large yard!

Matt

Re:Not so rare Classic Boat disease 13 years 9 months ago #11751

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
i think i started showing the symptoms but not fully infrcted yet...lol

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !

Re:Not so rare Classic Boat disease 13 years 9 months ago #11755

• MarkS
59Banshee Matt - You're lucky to have a good support group around you then, be thankful. Currently I'm getting the "raised eyebrow" look from my wife for trying to work out logistics on a sweet deal on a '74 CV-16 S/S project boat. "I thought we already had this discussion, you don't NEED another boat!" My reply = I know I don't need another boat, I WANT another boat. See, normal people would let it go and be satisfied with what I've got, and avoid the argument that I knew was coming, but NNNNNOOOOOOOOOO :laugh:

other Matt - Oh you've got it alright, you are probably still in the "denial stage". It's okay to take the first step and admit you have a problem, just don't let 'em push you past there. That way when you "stumble" into your next project, it isn't like the expectations are too high.

Mark

Re:Not so rare Classic Boat disease 13 years 9 months ago #11759

• 59Banshee
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Matt, I always have said the same thing, but with seven cars, two caravans and three boats, I think I have probably pushed past the initial infection stage now! lol

MarkS
When I mentioned the newest acquisition (Bell Boy 265 Runabout) to my partner they just rolled their eyes and laughed saying well I have come to expect it by now and don't ever change! - maybe I do have it Ok after all! LOL

Matt

Re:Not so rare Classic Boat disease 13 years 9 months ago #11769

Two boats is not an afflicaiton. That's a Minnesota state requirement! Three can be considered a bit odd.

Now, 10 boats might be an afflication! I think that's what I have, or is is 11? I have a stack of craigslist boat ads I want to check out too! HELP!

When one's house is for sale and moving to a place that can store/house one's collection is the result of a hobby - now that's a problem! Anyone wanna buy a beautiful arts and crafts bungalow in Minneapolis? I know one for sale!

Andreas

Re:Not so rare Classic Boat disease 13 years 9 months ago #11788

• MarkS
Darn, guess I'll scratch Andreas' house of my possible "park and hide" lot list. :laugh:

Mark

Re:Not so rare Classic Boat disease 13 years 9 months ago #11797

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
welll I only have one boat...but will stop and look around at about anything....

With 2 little ones not sure what would get done or lost.....

No I have been bit a Mercury bug though and love the Mercury motors...

Matt in Illinois

Re:Not so rare Classic Boat disease 12 years 10 months ago #33804

There is no cure.

Weareallnuts in SC

Re:Not so rare Classic Boat disease 12 years 10 months ago #33867

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
well not sure about the boat disease but I know I have become a bit of a Mercaholic...
currently I have 7 mercs one of them is on boat the others I plan on getting running...
1 -50hp 1-65hp 3-85hp 1-100hp 1-150hp....and one little evinrude 4.5 ....

but as far as the Classis Boat disease goes I want to find a good useable classic either to run or redo....
dream boat...is that of GT150 or 160...Checkmate same era...I have had my eye on one old boat that I actually took one of the above motors off of, I believe it be a 60's era Chrysler...closed bow...
just has some nice styling to it.

Matt in Illinois

Re:Not so rare Classic Boat disease 12 years 10 months ago #36215

its not a disease its good character, instead of going to a lot and buying a cookie cutter boat we restore history and take pride in the classics. isnt that how the hot rod industry got so large???. i have gotten compliments from people in 80,000 skaters that do easy hun mile hour, its the style that infects me!

Re:Not so rare Classic Boat disease 12 years 10 months ago #36272

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
MarkS wrote:

59Banshee Matt - You're lucky to have a good support group around you then, be thankful. Currently I'm getting the "raised eyebrow" look from my wife for trying to work out logistics on a sweet deal on a '74 CV-16 S/S project boat. "I thought we already had this discussion, you don't NEED another boat!" My reply = I know I don't need another boat, I WANT another boat. See, normal people would let it go and be satisfied with what I've got, and avoid the argument that I knew was coming, but NNNNNOOOOOOOOOO :laugh:

How is a man suppose to pass on a CV 16 ?? Biggest problem I have with mine is to get on the water and actually use it . Ya leave the house and stop to get gas . Somebody almost always comes over to look at the boat and B.S. ..Ya get to the boat landing and somebody almost always comes over to look at it and B.S. ..This is true with most Glassic boats .Its like your in your own Parade . Ya ever be going along and come past a dock where people are getting ready to go out and they all stop and look to watch your boat go by ?? Its Cool ...L.O.L..American boating in my area has become 80% Pontoons ...15% Cookie cutter Ski boats or Bass boats and the 5% of us keeping style alive . Tell your wife your trying to save America .

Re:Not so rare Classic Boat disease 12 years 10 months ago #36273

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
awesome....

Matt in Illinois

Re:Not so rare Classic Boat disease 12 years 10 months ago #36279

• MarkS
Bobo wrote:

How is a man suppose to pass on a CV 16 ??

That one got away Larry, but it went to a good home. (Another G'tron guy in MN!) Just wasn't meant to be, but no hard feelings, ya know!?

Somebody almost always comes over to look at the boat and B.S. ..Ya get to the boat landing and somebody almost always comes over to look at it and B.S. ..This is true with most Glassic boats .Its like your in your own Parade . Ya ever be going along and come past a dock where people are getting ready to go out and they all stop and look to watch your boat go by ?? Its Cool ...L.O.L.

Almost every time I take the Starflite out! I'm NOT bragging, I'm quick to tell 'em it's all original, I just cleaned her up and gave her a little TLC she deserved. I'm a "people person" so I really enjoy hearing all the stories about them or somebody they knew that had one like it, yadda yadda...... :laugh: Love it!

Mark

Re:Not so rare Classic Boat disease 12 years 9 months ago #38389

Concerning "Multiple Boat Syndrome":

I hear the cure is worse than the disease!

When I finish my 1970 Starcraft Offshore, I'm getting a 14C Powercat. Don't tell the wife she likes surprises.

Re:Not so rare Classic Boat disease 12 years 7 months ago #45141

There's no cure as far as I know. When the neighbor over my back wall gave me the Regatta outboard, I parked it on my front lawn. My neighbors came from across the street and sat in it for 3 days. Yes, they went home each night. They brought back a cold 18-pack about 2pm the next day and sat there till sundown talking fishing trip stories, laughing & commenting on what a bad-ass little boat I had. They have an 18'speed boat with a 454/Berkley Jet with the motor in the shop. Neither run but they could see the cul-de-sac better from mine! hahaha

Next came the 20' Commander. It is being used as a driveway catch-all at the moment, but I know I'd get rid of the motor home and 2 pickups before I let go of that. LOL

I want to turn the outboard into an EV putt~putt/fishing boat and keep the 454 for water skiing. I NEED BOTH BOATS! They complete me! :p

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)