TOPIC: 90 HP DU choke problem

90 HP DU choke problem 11 years 7 months ago #68464

• jepstr67
  • jepstr67's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi,

I've been running my Playmate with the 90 HP Stringer drive this summer and I've really had fun. This is a great boat. (if you are a short person)

I've had problems with it being hard to start. I've had V4s where they always start without prompting. Hot, cold, warm, or any combination. This one is a real ornery cus. Once it starts, it will idle just fine, so I don't want to screw with the idle mixture. It has an electric back up choke, which is lucky because I'd never get it running if it didn't. If the choke spring is stone cold, it might start by itself. I have it cranked all the way to maximum rich on the setting. If it is slightly warm, it will never start without using the back up choke.

Do the bi-metallic choke springs wear out? Perhaps I need a new one. Of course even a new, old stock, one is 50 years old.....

Other ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:90 HP DU choke problem 11 years 7 months ago #68517

20 plus years ago when the original owner of mine still owned it, he always popped the hatch & turned the choke off after it was running.

I always just use it on auto but have to use the choke switch to start it. Appearantly, the spring just won't close it entirely. And now, you have me thinking "is it truely opening completely when warm?" I guess I need to check that out next season (it is already winterize, washed & put to bed).

Re:90 HP DU choke problem 11 years 7 months ago #68562

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Honestly, I prefer the manual choke style on my '59 35hp Lark. Push to choke. When it starts, let off. If it falters, goose the choke again. Far better than the temperamental thermal chokes.

Yes. Now that I have it cranked all the way to rich, I do worry it isn't opening all the way when hot.

Up here in MN I don't winterize until I see ice forming on the lake. :laugh: LOL

Re:90 HP DU choke problem 11 years 7 months ago #68609

Those bi-metal springs do loss some of there tension over the yrs.If you can find a newer one lay it on top of yours and see if they are the same.I would really try and find a new/newer one if they are still around and try your luck with it. Make sure your linkage isn't all gummed up also. Good luck with it. Skip.

Re:90 HP DU choke problem 11 years 2 months ago #73904

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Especially on 2 stroke cycle motors, "gummed up" is more of a factor more often.

• Page:
Time to create page: 2.081 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)