Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help my mercruiser trim will go up but not down!

Help my mercruiser trim will go up but not down! 11 years 9 months ago #65044

Help! I am new to the boating world of inboard outboard motors! I have a 1968 formula thunderbird 19 ft. I have never seen another! But anyway it has a stright 6 chevy with a mercruiser outdrive! I am not sure what year the outdrive is=/ But it goes up without a problem but it will not go down on its own! when i put it in drive in the water it forces itself down and it comes back up fine! The pump makes the noise but it acts like it is "loading up" I have added fluid but not sure what else to do! any help?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Help my mercruiser trim will go up but not down! 11 years 9 months ago #65199

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
I had the same problem. First make sure the battery is fully charged. Low voltage will prevent the hydraulic trim pump from working. The first thing I did was clean every electrical contact on the trim pump and on the trim/tilt switches. After that it worked fine. Dirty or loose connections are usually the culprit. But if it doesn't work after that, then best have a sterndrive techie look at it.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

Re:Help my mercruiser trim will go up but not down! 11 years 9 months ago #65209

Thanks I will try this tonight.... but like i said in the post the pump makes the noise and is turning on it just wont move more than a half inch but i will try and let you know!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7704 guests and one member online