Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Got a question about an other outboard? Scott, Ward and others are discussed here!
  • Page:

TOPIC: 69’ Evinrude 55hp Triumph w/ hydroelectric shift

69’ Evinrude 55hp Triumph w/ hydroelectric shift 9 months 5 days ago #148210

Reviving an old MFG Westfield that’s been stored for 15 years. Got her running and everything was shifting correctly. Pulled the lower unit to do the water pump and now it won’t shift. Solenoids both work, filled with type C oil. I put my magnet down into the well where the solenoids live and pulled up a metal piece that has a ball end (clearly snaps into the end of the solenoid assembly) and the other end has a T profile that I would assume has to be captured in some type of fork or slot… but I can’t find anything that shows this.

I’m sure everything works fine and it’s just my assembly that’s wrong. Anyone know what I’m speaking of? No neutral or reverse is a little bit of a bummer.

Thanks,
Kyle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

69’ Evinrude 55hp Triumph w/ hydroelectric shift 9 months 4 days ago #148217

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
Here's an exploded diagram of your Hydroelectric shift lower unit, maybe that'll help you identify the parts:

www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1969&hp=55&model=55972A&manufacturer=Evinrude§ion=GEARCASE+GROUP

Found a YouTube video of a hydro unit teardown. It's a 115hp but pretty much the same concept:

This guy has an excellent description of how the solenoids work in this 1st video (there are 3 more in the series):

I'd recommend you watch 'em all. Probably the nugget of info you need is in there.

Hope that helps!.............ed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)